Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

FRL Airforce Addons release thread

@MacBoy

the problem with the wreck chopper in Domination is known but unfortunately not solved in the actual available version. It will be fixed in the next version.

Did a quick test in the editor but at my side it created the wreck as intended.

Does it throw any errors in your arma2.rpt?

APU startup sequence included aswell as programmed RWR modes. Additional sounds by Mark XIII.

0b6wS2nH1mY

RWR display can be adjusted as follows:

Priority Mode off: tracks 16 targets in a range of 6000m

Priority Mode on: tracks 5 targets in a range of 3000m

Target filtering: A-A, A-G, Naval and All

Target separate Mode: when enabled, targets further away will be moved close to the outer border to have better view on close range targets in dogfights.

All those modes can be combined as you need it. Default it is set similar to the OA RWR on the gameHUD. So if this is above your head, just ignore it. ;)

:EDITH:

sorry for the doublepost, i know i'm a attention whore :D

Edited by [FRL]Myke

wow that is brilliant.... exciting stuff... SO the f-16 will target naval targets properly unlike bis default

Now here is a thing Myke. The RWR you have is superb. Would it be possible to have this functionality for all aircraft so that it replaces the default one at the top left side of our displays? Is this a pipedream or is it possible as a standalone?

@Wolfbite

erm...no. Sadly this is something i can't do on the F-16 since this is weapon related by default. AFAIK there is no way to differ betwen ground and sea targets for weapons. But be assured, if i knew a way, i would surely try to implement it.

But at least with the RWR you can better differ between ground and sea. At least a start.

@Kremator

Impossible is nothing...almost. The system is modelled into the cockpit and mainly is nothing different than some simple animations. If an addonmaker is interested, well, my profile is full of contact info. ;)

For BIS default planes....well, as said, it is modelled into the cockpit. Implementing the RWR into BIS planes would require the MLOD's officially.

@All

I know that actually the RWR (Radar Warn Receiver) acts more like a simple radar. Usually only actively radar emitting targets would be displayed there. Also here the game itself limits since there is no way to determine if a vehicle does or does not emmit radar. So i guess this is a fair compromise: it shows 16 targets and detects the most dangerous for the plane but the display is fairly small and sometimes occluded by the center console.

Creating a working cockpit is almost working around and dealing with game engine limits. Sometimes it's done easily and also nearly accurate, sometimes not. But i try my best to have it, if not ultrarealistc, at least balanced for the game.

**** FREE OFFER ****

RWR to include into your own plane addon: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9367994/GLT_RWR.7z

Included files:

RWR.p3d (untextured

model.cfg

config.cpp

init.sqf

This is provided "as is". It should contain everything (excpet textures) to include a working RWR into your own plane addon. Be aware that this is no simple stuff. You should have basic skills in modelling (at least copy/paste, scaling and rotating aswell as texturing), good knowledge of config files (config.cpp and model.cfg) aswell as good scripting skills to include all data into your own files. I will help on problems unless i see the help would include a basic training of modelling and/or scripting. I'm sorry but for this i just dont have enough time.

You don't have to ask for permission, it is given out to be used. Only thing i ask for is credits in the readme upon release:

RWR System with courtesy of [GLT]Myke

I guess this is nothing but fair.

Also i would like to receive any improvements you make on it, be it added functionality or simply improving script performance.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Generous of you Myke, thanks.

...... maybe when I get back to the planes, in my long list of addons to do ;)

Hey Myke, downloading the Missile Box + F16 right now. Got a couple questions though:

- Does the F-16 still have an integrated flare system that you can't turn off? Now that OA has included flares the F-16 would better integrate with the other vehicles by using those countermeasures

- I love the look of that Desert Su-34, any chance we can see it just as a replacement pack for the Russian Su-34 using vanilla missiles?

The F-16 in it's latest state uses BIS OA chaff & flares system. Also the next update will no longer use a own system.

For the SU...well, have to look if it has hiddenselections to create a replacement. No promises but will have a look at it.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Myke;1725714']The F-16 in it's latest state uses BIS OA chaff & flares system. Also the next update will no longer use a own system.

For the SU...well' date=' have to look if it has hiddenselections to create a replacement. No promises but will have a look at it.[/quote']

Good stuff!

@Fox'09

it is mapped, yes but i suggest you use the RWR model only for placement and scale reference and just keep animation axis aswell as animated parts.

The original texture was part of several fairly larger textures as i've merged multiple instruments on one single texture to keep section count low.

The RWR is relatively complex so don't expect it to include in a few minutes. ;)

Also here the game itself limits since there is no way to determine if a vehicle does or does not emmit radar.

But doesn't the Shilka show up on RWR when it has a radar tracking gun lock while the standard static ZSU-23's don't.?

But doesn't the Shilka show up on RWR when it has a radar tracking gun lock while the standard static ZSU-23's don't.?

There is a lot going on which can't be used for scripting. As popular example, the ingame HUD radar does respect line-of-sight but scriptingwise there is no command to do so. There are surely workarounds possible, just thrown in a example.

Actually i think it's good as it is. It is limited to 16 targets and it highlights the probably most dangerous for the F-16.

On the other side, the ingame HUD is completely removed, so the RWR should fairly compensate it.

Still hoping to get a effective way to do LOS check.

Some WIP shots:

f16wipshot1.th.png

f16wipshot2.th.png

f16wipshot3.th.png

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Looking great Myke, have you edited the flight model or are you keeping the same as in v1? And if I may ask, how much of the addon is complete in percentage? :p

I was quite happy with the flight model so i guess i will not change it much, maybe a little tweaking here and there. But this is on a later stage.

Complete in percentage....you're a joker, right? ;)

Well, there are 18 instruments to model, texture and animate. Also the damage model has to be included. Tweaking and optimizing of scripts and configs.....

Honestly, i can't say. I work all day on it if i can. Some days i make more progress than other days.

Maybe these "facts" will give a little insight:

- config.cpp has actually 2326 lines of code and still growing (BIS A-10: 543 lines)

- model.cfg actually has 1007 lines (BIS A-10: 938 lines)

- actually there are 150 separate animations

- to control those anims, the scripts have near 800 lines of code.

....and remember, it is still WIP. ;)

That reminded me of why I'm not an addon maker. Seriously though, I really appreciate you pushing it as far as the engine lets you, no disrespect to other modders...but BIS is bound to make some improvements to the aerial aspect as soon as this one goes gold, I mean..who's gonna fly anything else? :p

This time i post with a request for assistance. I need someone who can help me to define a rough barometric pressure simulation.

If you have knowledge about weather and climate, barometric pressures and their relations to location, height, time of year and time of day and have a basic knowledge about config and scripting (i'll do the scripts, no worries so far, just have to know what's possible and what not) then please drop me a message here, on PM or check my profile for further contact data.

The main goal is to simulate different barometric pressures for each available airfield on each map (generic code here) and based on config data and ingame weather status generate a barometric offset to be used with the barometric altimeter.

You should be aware that the game engine aswell as scripting will not allow 100% accurate realistic values but at least they should be plausible.

Wouldnt this have to be defined per map?

Erm...no. In the map (guessing you mean "island" when saying map) it is defined it's geographical location. As you know, barometric pressure isn't a constant but pretty variable as several factors does influence it...or the pressure takes influence to these factors aswell.

So based on geographical position, height over sea level, season, time of day and actual weather situation i would like to compute a barometric pressure for the airfields to be able to calibrate the barometric altimeter to one of those airfields.

It has to be a generic code, reading several values out of the islands config (geographical position) aswell from the runnin mission itself (date, time, weather) which then gives some kind of "offset value" which can i take to calculate a plausible actual barometric pressure, based on 1013,25 hPa default pressure.

Just out of overall curiosity... Would the barometric preassure affect flight dynamics or instrument effectiveness? Just wondering what the overall plan with this is. Everytime I come back to this thread it just gets better....