• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic
JuggernautOfWar
JuggernautOfWar

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 19:25 #1

In Operation Arrowhead there is a SCUD launcher you can drive and fire. When you fire the missile just goes up in the air never to return. How can I set a target?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar, 01 July 2010 - 19:28.

Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz-3.50GHz
3072MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
8GB DDR3 RAM
Yes, I have a gaming laptop.

Big Dawg KS
Big Dawg KS

Captain

• Members
  • 6363 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 19:26 #2

When you fire the missile just goes up in the air never to return.

That's all it does.
VBS Designer

I like to call Arma a sandbox game that works pretty much like LEGO - you buy it not just because you want to have a nice car from the main picture on its box, do you?

JuggernautOfWar
JuggernautOfWar

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 19:28 #3

So this is basically here as a template for mods?
Windows 8.1
8GB DDR3 RAM

Big Dawg KS
Big Dawg KS

Captain

• Members
  • 6363 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 19:33 #4

So this is basically here as a template for mods?

Well, it works great as a prop for those "stop the SCUD launch" missions, but yea it'd be easy to set it up to fire at targets. Wouldn't be too realistic with the kind of ranges in OA though..
VBS Designer

I like to call Arma a sandbox game that works pretty much like LEGO - you buy it not just because you want to have a nice car from the main picture on its box, do you?

Heatseeker
Heatseeker

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • 5191 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 19:40 #5

The old OFP commands should still work with it? ScudState, etc..
Sounds like an interesting way to gain altitude.. fast!

Steakslim
Steakslim

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2020 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 20:02 #6

I imagine in the future someone will mod it to some form of functionality, like Mando.

JuggernautOfWar
JuggernautOfWar

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 20:37 #7

Yeah I hope so as it's almost completely useless as of now.
Windows 8.1
8GB DDR3 RAM

zipper5
zipper5

BI Developer

• 5318 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 22:38 #8

Has anyone been able to figure out how to script the missile being prepared, or even launch the missile? I've tried how it used to be in OFP but to no avail.

w0lle
w0lle

Lieutenant Colonel

• Members
  • 8235 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 22:59 #9

Has anyone been able to figure out how to script the missile being prepared, or even launch the missile? I've tried how it used to be in OFP but to no avail.

I give you the exclusive right to rip my mission apart and use it for exploitation. :P
It's not that hard after all, just two action commands.

zipper5
zipper5

BI Developer

• 5318 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 23:02 #10

Yup, I had just found out how to do it thanks to Rellikki. Thanks anyways, W0lle. :D

Basically, the two actions are scudLaunch (raise the warhead) and scudStart (fire it).

JuggernautOfWar
JuggernautOfWar

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:25 #11

I just popped it in the Editor and fired away, no scripting required.
Windows 8.1
8GB DDR3 RAM

Arrowhead
Arrowhead

Sergeant

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:29 #12

Aww, I was hoping we could aim these suckers somewhere atleast.

JuggernautOfWar
JuggernautOfWar

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:40 #13

I think BIS stuck the SCUD in here as more of a template for the community to mod rather than something to work with right now in missions. I love that they did this. Making a fully-featured SCUD on a 128² [however big the gameworld is] would be unrealistic anyway, as they fire primarily ICBMs. Making it the community's choice means it's up to us whether we want that unrealistic, super overpowering weapon. Imagine having a fully-featured SCUD in a Warfare game... insta-win.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar, 02 July 2010 - 06:47.

Windows 8.1
8GB DDR3 RAM

Kristian
Kristian

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1751 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:25 #14

insta win is insta win :D
Real firing sequence takes about an hour iirc, so it actually could be nice asset in warfare. Cost like shit, after selecting launch coordinates launcher can't be moved, and enemy gets a little "intel" about where the launcher is. :P
Posted Image

Big Dawg KS
Big Dawg KS

Captain

• Members
  • 6363 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:34 #15

I think BIS stuck the SCUD in here as more of a template for the community

Or, they just used it the exact same way it was originally intended in OFP: as a prop. Something you need to destroy in a mission. TBH, it's completely impractical to use them for anything else with such relatively small landscapes.
VBS Designer

xALIENAx
xALIENAx

Corporal

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:33 #16

Or, they just used it the exact same way it was originally intended in OFP: as a prop. Something you need to destroy in a mission. TBH, it's completely impractical to use them for anything else with such relatively small landscapes.

I was shocked to see it myself, And racked my brain trying to make it do something useful, To no avail, however it does look cool. I plan on creating a Nice MP co-op with this thing in a heavily defended base.. likely an airfield as the final objective. At any rate, I agree that having it "work" would be insane. Even with arma's famous gigantic maps, wve yet to reach a size in the FPS genre where ICBMs really make sence.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Intel Core I7 920 @ 4.38Ghz | 2x ATI Radeon HD5970 Crossifire | 10gb DDR3RAM | Koolance EXOS-2 LX Watercooler | 40" Sony Bravia LCD

Frederf
Frederf

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2495 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:01 #17

The SCUD has a minimum range of 50km. It's a theater ballistic missile. It ain't shooting nothing from the same ArmA-map it's launched from.

xALIENAx
xALIENAx

Corporal

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:25 #18

The SCUD has a minimum range of 50km. It's a theater ballistic missile. It ain't shooting nothing from the same ArmA-map it's launched from.

I've heard tell of 64x64km being done.... but even so like others said... implementing this thing in any way would be impractical.. not to mention a waste of resources. if your team were to aquire this it would be destroyed in seconds.. or require an inordinate amount of protection.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Intel Core I7 920 @ 4.38Ghz | 2x ATI Radeon HD5970 Crossifire | 10gb DDR3RAM | Koolance EXOS-2 LX Watercooler | 40" Sony Bravia LCD

Cossack8559
Cossack8559

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 15:08 #19

I have a bunch of mods installed that add all kind of things... but none add a scud.. so i tried OA's scud and i was able to click on the map and launch at Zagrabad (spelt correct?) even though i was on the other end of the map the blast wave still killed me. also when the missile fires the truck runs out of fuel... i guess that is a bug?

Nightrain
Nightrain

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 15:49 #20

I have a bunch of mods installed that add all kind of things... but none add a scud.. so i tried OA's scud and i was able to click on the map and launch at Zagrabad (spelt correct?) even though i was on the other end of the map the blast wave still killed me. also when the missile fires the truck runs out of fuel... i guess that is a bug?

Can anyone else confirm this??? Are you sure your not using Gigans scud launcher? If this is true that could make an interesting mission, disable the scud before the takis set it off withougt launching it. :yay:

I would do this myself but sadly, I leave in a little bit and will be gone for a week with no OA :(

Edited by Nightrain, 18 July 2010 - 15:52.