Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Jungle Wars: Island of Lingor

And thanks to Aeneas we already have some Dutch soldiers in jungle pattern ready to ship off the minute after Lingor arrives! :)

sweet :) no problem on camo, when you decide just let me know and pm me, also if you find any swatches of it then even better :D lol. also so far i have a medium lift aircraft, a small CAS plane (i figured they wont have much need for a air to air aircraft since the island is so small), MBT (still tossing up a few ideas M60 is one of them) old US humves repainted for their jeep and a UH60 for their transport helicopter (will also have one with FFAR's on it for their gun ship) however would much rather a older huey if anyone has one lol. however alot of all this depends on if i can get permissions for what i need lol.

cheers mate

Rhodesy

Rhodesy77 wow, mud looks pretty authentic :) keep it up. I would be glad to use it for government troops. Also please continue with government soldier, WIP looked great. At first I wanted to use my Afrenian army (reskin, A2 models) but I guess you can pull that off a lot better with custom model :) Aeneas - maybe I'll need a help with new government/rebel camos, I'll let you know, thanks!

Before I pick camos I need to finish the textures of the island, so camo will blend in well into the environment.

Only thing about this island is I wish it were bigger...

Small islands just constrict my mission making possibilitys. :(

One of the main reason I love Chernarus is the size. Now I'm not telling you to make a map the size of Chernarus, but Panthera was a pretty good size, so was Duala..

If Lingor can cause low performance even on its present size, I dont think it should be made any bigger

Edited by Kristian
silly typos

Lets discuss the units. IceWindo (kudos man!) gave me cool A1 resistance rebels so we even have boonie hats for humid and rainy jungle operations. I got couple of offers:

- one talented guy is creating new houses for Lingor towns

- two guys are willing to help me out with custom unit equipment

At first I wanted to use just reskins of my previous unit packs, but I see I can (with help of community) put together something much more complex and exciting.

I still linger (heh) when it comes to picking camos for soldiers. So far ideas are:

BLUFOR LINGO (government) troops: jungle marpat, something similiar to what Colombian army uses, mostly US weaponry.

pixelado.jpg

OPFOR ARL (Armadas Revolucionarias de Lingor)

camo similiar to FARC or maybe Tamil Tigers, mostly armed with fn fals and rpgs.

farc_guerrillas.jpg

thumbnail.php?file=tamiltigers_379101595.jpg&size=article_medium

Not a fan of the bottom picture.

I'll have a closed test version ready by this Wednesday for my squad. Berghoff is also working hard on the Lingor jungle vegetation. Project is going well :)

Edited by IceBreakr

I'll have a closed test version ready by this Wednesday for my squad. Berghoff is also working hard on the Lingor jungle vegetation. Project is going well :)

Good news :cool:

Yeah that does look good.

Man if I knew how to mod in anyway, I would totally help you out. I want this island to be the BEST! It definitely has potential and also has a really good story behind it.

What type of vehicles are you planning for Lingor?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6
typo

Spam deleted, Enad, Fox '09 & Aeneas2020, you can discuss your love affair in PM's.

today decided to completely rework the troops as i just wasnt happy with them lol, the vest was my main issue, but have managed to rework it pretty well i think, still early wip of it but. atm ive gone with a edited version of a old brittish DPM patern, with the colours altered, however as i havnt seen the map yet cant the colours arnt final, as i want these puppies to be near invisable. also if anyone has any decent swatches of french lizard patern ot something similar hit me up, could use some different alternatives.

i still want to rework the helmet. the boots and a few smaller details. also got some H-harness webbing lined up aswell.

also m113 in the background is early WiP aswell

test111.th.jpg

"Smile"

test112.th.jpg

"Whoops"

Cheers

Rhodesy

Are you actually part of this mod? Or are you just making them so maybe Icebreakr will use them?

Anyways, I like the model,vest and helmet, but I'm not really too sure on the color of the vest and the camo. It doesn't really look...jungle-ish.

as far as i know im just making them for the possiblity of being used lol, if not then they will just be stand alone. camo colour is more of a placeholder more than anything, vest colour will most likely stay, just more detail added. it will look better once a greener camo colour is added as the BDU. also just got my hands on some PLCE webbing which looks quite nice.

also if icebreakr has a problem with me posting this stuff here then no worries, just thought it was as good a place as any lol.

Oh alright. And I guess I like the vest color, but yeah it needs some stuff on it, more details. Maybe a better texture?

But yeah definitely needs a more Jungle Themed camo pattern.

the texture itself isnt really to bad, its my normal map thats letting it down atm lol. and yer i agree, however its hard to come by some decent camo swatches that i can use, without having to make them from scratch that is. so if anyone has any, hit me up lol. so far ive bought several swatches for a few bucks each, all repeatable, but yer non really suit this project.

perhaps no helmets due to hot and humid weather? jungle hats instead....?

Ok, since I'll be gone til Monday, here's a small demo (beta 0.1) version of Lingor so you can preview the map and give feedback while I'm gone :)

lingor1.jpglingor2.jpg

Beware: all settlements are temporary and will be replaced. Many stuff with be changed with each beta release.

Download:

http://www.icebreakr.com/islands/lingor/lingor_v01.7z (85MB 7zip)

Required addons: Duala v1.6 (install, but overwrite old berghoff brg_africa files .pbo and .bisign!) - unpack folder with duala files.

Oh, and for testing purpose are here 3 missions (coop - up to 20 players):

http://www.icebreakr.com/missions/co20_lingor_specops.zip

Required addons: ACE2mod 1.2 stable, Jade Groove, MFP Raiders v0.922, Duala v1.6

Briefings are in Slovenian language, so here are recaps:

Molatians invaded the island and Lingor government asked our specops unit do get rid of that threat:

1. respond to rebel attack on Bus. Secure marked sector (red circle) and eliminate all rebels.

2. enemy ship landed on NW with tanks. They are approaching Town of Stucco. Problem: all our AT weapons are stored in Stucco depot.

3. captured Molatian soldier draw three of their camp locations on the map. Positions are not exact, but close. Eliminate all enemies (200m around camp) to secure the Lingor jungle.

aashot.jpg

Enjoy ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

YYEEAH! Awesome! Will post feedback later!

Sweet looks great, downloading now mate, thanks again.

@Rhodesy77 - The vest does need more details IMO, Normals cant do it all.

good map! runs a bit.. slow...but mostly in the deep jungle. someone needs to make a fog template for the jungles.. :)

Ok AWESOME map. But there is one huge issue. FPS.

My FPS was just....bad. 18-25. Sometimes low 30's.

Now maybe you're planning some optimizations, but the problem is that the jungles arent even that dense. It would look alot more Jungle-ish if the Jungles were thicker, but there goes your FPS...

I suggest making 3 versions. Low Veg, Medium Veg, and High Veg. Just like that Germany map from ArmA 2 that Nicholas Bell made.

But besides that my impressions were that it's obviously heavy WIP, but it's still VERY good...and for once an ArmA 2 map that the ArmA 1 buildings fit in perfectly with!

There were quite a few other issues involving the plants, but I posted those in the African Foilage topic.

Now for the screenshots. I took alot and you can view them all at the bottom of this page.

But for now here are 5...

TDFXA.jpg

TDIrJ.jpg

TDKWS.jpg

TDNr0.jpg

TDPW9.jpg