Sign in to follow this  
Leopoldo

ARMA 2 CTD but still running in Task Manager

I'm in Thailand but it's either US or UK. This one is a DVD +18 version. I think it's UK.

Anyone knows if and when we can expect another patch with fix??

Edited by DevilDon

One of the BIS reps mentioned that he's seen this issue around a lot and is trying to gather info on it, so I'm sure they'll have something helpful soon.

DVD version here, purchased in the UK, i think it starts off at version 1.01.

Edited by Leopoldo

One of the BIS reps mentioned that he's seen this issue around a lot and is trying to gather info on it, so I'm sure they'll have something helpful soon.

Well that's great!! I hope they can pinpoint the error soon as this is very annoying. As I have mentioned earlier, this only happens on MP games. I can play SP without any CTDs well maybe 1 CTD ouf of 50games in SP while I have constant CTDs in MP LOL

UK DVD, bought when it first came out. Patched to 1.05.

Really annoying, I was flying when it happened last night leaving my gunner to say "WHERE ARE U MAN?" Then ending in him blowing up. :D

DVD bought in Italy for me.

tryied both with and without mod or addons...it makes no difference game crash anyway.

hope it helps

Still having the issue here, it happens in single player and multiplayer. US Steam version. I voted. Hope it helps. :mad:

Well that's great!! I hope they can pinpoint the error soon as this is very annoying. As I have mentioned earlier, this only happens on MP games. I can play SP without any CTDs well maybe 1 CTD ouf of 50games in SP while I have constant CTDs in MP LOL

I have had very similar issues. CTC in multiplayer and very rarely SP. I had significant correspondence with a BI rep and he did acknowledge that they were not able to fix the memory issues with this patch like they hoped. He said they were working on it, and I hope it comes fast as I can't play this game without crashing.

Same here:

Yesterday the first time. with out mods and its the german metaboli version updated to 1.05.

sound of the game was still running

never had this before....i played a SP mission in the editor.

Edited by mc sonar

as i said before in an other thread,i get those CTD's only when its getting dark on the maps.

its like from 6.00pm to 8.00am.

and only then.when i choose any daytime in the parameters,the game runs like a charme.

well,now iam interested in your crashes. do you guys have them randomly ? do you have them like me,only when its nightime on the maps ? its interesting for me to know if iam alone with this special nightime issue !

update : for the first time ever i installed a beta driver. i installed nvidias 196.34 win7 64bit international beta. the point is now,i still get the CTD's,but it switch me back after 10-20 seconds !!!! its still unplayable,because it takes about 20 seconds to switch me back to the game automatically,but it does.

can anyone confirm this on his machine ?

Edited by seelix

Its not an night time issue for me, it can be random but there are times its more likly to happen than others.

When you get in or out a vehicle, when the system is going to load something and the screen darkens for the "receiving" text (anything that darkens the screen seems to eb able to trigger it), saving can cause it (agaijn screen goes darker for saving).

If i use a UAV and zoom in on buildings etc eventually the rendering will go hay-wire and i can get this issue (sometimes i get a proper crash error).

Using the binoculars to zoom in again can cause it.

It can be night or day, mostly they have happened during the day for me.

I also didnt start getting them until i had gotten to the Razor Two missions before that was pretty smooth sailing.

ARMA CTD but prog still active happens when a windows program comes up, COULD BE TS, i have known it to happen on numerous occasions with msn happened twice tonight for me when MSN poped up in windowed mode.

Have any of your tried disabling/uninstalling virus scanners, disabling UAC, and running as administrator?

Have any of your tried disabling/uninstalling virus scanners, disabling UAC, and running as administrator?

This is how my system runs at all times.

Basically I can gaurauntee this happens every time I play. In fact I can't remember the last time I actually quit the game by using the normal method haha.

It's still definitely gotta be a memory issue as it happens after I start flying around or moving around a lot and lots of textures/events have to load quickly. All my rpt files say that the game is trying to call for more memory that isn't there because the game doesn't seem to be refreshing/dumping previously used items that are no longer needed.

keep in mind what LEOPOLDOS signature tells you.

If i am having issues first thing i do is put everything back to stock, please keep that in mind if/when helping me troubleshoot an issue.

iam missing that attitude in your last about 50 comments. :j:

It's still definitely gotta be a memory issue as it happens after I start flying around or moving around a lot and lots of textures/events have to load quickly.

as i supposed,like some others. the game runs fine,and then the red light on the frontpanel of my comp begins to light intensely....and bang,CTD.

also leopoldo is damn right.the zoom function troubles me too sometimes. it looks like it has to load to much memory....and to quickly.

Edited by seelix

I gathered by "Back to Stock" he meant putting his overclocked CPU/GPU's back to stock, not setting Windows back to stock, and windows back at stock tends to have UAC enabled.

From what I'm hearing it sounds like a memory leak. Especially the constant hard drive thrashing showing that it's most likely flooded the RAM then moved to the page file, flooded that, then crashed 'cause it can't allocate anymore memory.

You can try setting a custom page file to the sizes of :

initial size : 1.5 times the amount of ram you have

max size : 3 times the amount of ram you have

(so basically if you have 4gb of ram set the initial size to 6114 and max size to 12288, accounting for 1gb = 1024mb)

It may not help but it's worth a try.

Also, and I'm sure it's been tried by everyone, try running Arma2.exe -maxmem=2048

Although this isn't the only cause of the problem. As I've said before, I have created the problem myself by doing certain things :

- Oveclocking my CPU to unstable in which only Arma 2 would crash

- Updating my motherboard drivers to ones that Arma 2 didn't like

- Installing the iZ3D drivers (installing them a second time on top of themselves fixed the issue)

- Installing ATI Tray Tools (although many games don't like ATI Tray Tools)

- I created several other scenarios too, but can't remember them right now.

So basically it means that it's not always a memory leak, but there's a good chance that a lot of you are suffering from a memory leak. So try the workaround I posted and hopefully it helps, but either way, hopefully it'll be fixed in a patch soon.

Edited by Bulldogs

ARMA CTD but prog still active happens when a windows program comes up, COULD BE TS, i have known it to happen on numerous occasions with msn happened twice tonight for me when MSN poped up in windowed mode.

Thanks for the input

sadly i dont think its anything i can utilise as i dont use any programs like Team Speak (TS stands for Team Speak?), i dont have anything like Messenger installed either.

Its not caused by taskbar "pop-ups" for me. If it was then it still be a game problem as there is no way to get back into the game once you have been "taken out", although its still running in task Manager the ARMA 2 icon disappears from the Task Bar and its not available via the ALT+TAB menu.

As for uninstalling my Virus Scanner i dont fancy doing that for one game. I was having an issue with slow loading textures and stutter which i fixed by putting ARMA 2 on my exclusions list, now my Anti Virus does not monitor/scan the game, so its pretty much like turning it off.

My Page file size is 9216MB as i have 6GB of memory, i may give the 3x pagefile size a try (18432MB) as a band-aid until the cause of the excessive memory usage (if thats what it is) is fixed at BI's end and put out in a patch. I also make it a static size so the pagefile doesnt get de-fragmented.

Edited by Leopoldo

The two tweaks I've never liked are the no page file tweak (sometimes slight performance increase in some 64 bit games, but causes issues with 32 bit games), and the static small page file (worse than having no page file as it leaves no room for full swapping which is when windows trades 3 dumps of memory at a time, hence the 3x for max page file size)

Thanks for your input Bulldogs.

Will increasing the page file increase the amount of time it would take until the program can no longer allocate memory, resulting in CTD?

Hopefully. As a temporary solution, when you have time during play do this :

hold [Left Shift] down and then press the [Numpad - (minus)]

then type "flush" without quotation marks.

You won't see any prompt or anything, but just type it and you should hear a load, or the game will pause for a second. It's a command to flush the memory, so if the page file trick doesn't work completely then do this when you have time in game and it should at least prevent the crash.

Of course this is a temporary solution and hopefully the leak will be fixed altogether in a patch soon.

Hopefully. As a temporary solution, when you have time during play do this :

hold [Left Shift] down and then press the [Numpad - (minus)]

then type "flush" without quotation marks.

You won't see any prompt or anything, but just type it and you should hear a load, or the game will pause for a second. It's a command to flush the memory, so if the page file trick doesn't work completely then do this when you have time in game and it should at least prevent the crash.

Of course this is a temporary solution and hopefully the leak will be fixed altogether in a patch soon.

thanks man, just read this in another thread, good to hear that it does work.

I am having the CTD while still running the process bug as well... but i first had, and still do have, a CTD/FREEZE issue on multiplayer and singleplayer(lan with bots) warefare mode. after 40 minutes to an hour and a half, depending on force sizes and location on the map, i crash or freeze. even if i save the game minutes before the crash, when i re-load the map, i only have a few minutes before i crash again. this occurs in all three warefare maps included with game (as of 1.5)

I have a dual bot mac running a 64 bit windows through boot camp.

processor intel xeon 2.67ghz (8cpus)

memory 8 gig ram

ATI HD4800 GPU

610 gig hd (windows side)

g10 gig hd (mac side)

anyone think the flush thing will work, or do i have to wait for a patch to get full functionality out of the game?

EDIT i have run the program in both win7 regular, and XP compatibility mode.

Edited by robphx387