Sign in to follow this  
Ryujin

Hidden Selections

I've been looking around, but I didn't find any good info on how you would use hidden selections to set textures in ArmA2.

What I'm thinking of doing is making some unit and other patches on a soldier "set-able" in the editor via hidden selections. Now I don't know too much about them so is it possible and if so, how exactly would you define and set these?

Thanks

Okay, I'll give you a quick and dirty tut on hidden selections.

First, your .p3d model. Map a texture to the object you want to hide. You need to do this to set up the UV cooridnates for the object. Then name that object via the name selection window. Note, you can also use hidden selections in other LODs, such as memory and geo. Close and save your .p3d.

Second, your model config or your config file, which ever one has the "class cfgmodels" entry. Open it and navigate to your "class cfgmodels" and then find the "sections" entry under your unit. Usually this is where the brake lights and headlights are listed. Create a new entry with the name of the object in the .p3d model you want hidden. Save your file. NOTE: (very important) the order of the names in the section list...we will come back to this part later.

Third, open the config file and navigate to the "class CfgVehicles" section. Within your class entry for that particular unit, add this line "hiddenSelections[] = {"yourobjectname"};" without the outside quotes. So it should look like this on its own

hiddenSelections[] = {"yourobjectname"};

Save and close your config file.

Fourth step, pack and tag your addon and ship it to armaII. Start up your game and stick your unit inside of a mission. The object you want to hide should be hidden. Use the setobjecttexture command to set the object texture. Like this...

this setobjecttexture [0,"\youraddonname\yourtexture.paa"]

Okay, remember our important note about the order of the object names in the sections area of Class cfgmodel? That number by itself inside of the setobjecttexture brackets corresponds to the order of the object names inside of the cfgmodel class, starting with 0. Your first objectname is 0, your second object name is 1, and your third is 2 and so on. Yes, your first entry into the sections list is 0. Your second is 1.

And that's it. If you need anymore help, you can google ofp hidden selections or arma hidden selections. In fact, here... http://fab.ofp.free.fr/Tutorials/Hidden_Selections.htm This is the tut I use to learn hidden selections and should still work with ArmAII if I'm not mistaken. If I'm missing something else, let me know.