Sign in to follow this  
frag

Intro scene ...how to start from a black screen?

Hi guys, I am currently doing an intro scene for my mission with no major problem. But something tickles me and I am pretty sure that there is an easy answer to my problem.

I would like my intro scene to start in a black screen …wait 5 seconds than display text.

So I do this in my intro.sqs (that is called from my player unit in his init field ([] exec “intro.sqsâ€):

titlecut ["", "BLACK OUT", 0]

~5

TitleText["Bla bla bla …","Plain"];

The effect is that when the intro section of the mission start, I see my unit for half a second before the screen turns black from the titlecut ["", "BLACK OUT", 0] command … giving a really non polished effect.

What would be the trick to start the intro scene in a black screen without seeing my unit for that short period?

Edited by frag
syntax

cutText ["", "BLACK [b]In[/b]", 10]

Just change 10 for the duration of the fade in.

I think your timeout was delaying any camera shot you might have prepared in your intro.sqs.

Here is where you can see descriptions of Title Effect Types.

I also noticed that titleCut seems to be obsolete. Instead you should just use cutText

You can also use titleFadeOut

Edited by Touch Off

Put this in your init.sqs...

cutText ["", "BLACK OUT", 0.001]

...in addition to any black out or in you have during the cutscene.

(I set it to 0.001 instead of 0 because it was not always being reliable with a time of 0. At least, that's what I seem to remember...)

I think this works because init.sqs happens earlier than any trigger or script could otherwise. It seems to cut down that half-a-second you were talking about to something more like one-tenth of a second.

Put this in your init.sqs...

cutText ["", "BLACK OUT", 0.001]

...in addition to any black out or in you have during the cutscene.

(I set it to 0.001 instead of 0 because it was not always being reliable with a time of 0. At least, that's what I seem to remember...)

I think this works because init.sqs happens earlier than any trigger or script could otherwise. It seems to cut down that half-a-second you were talking about to something more like one-tenth of a second.

That 0.001 trick does the job ... go figure. Thanks for the input nichevo. I owe you on that one!

Thanks!

Can I just ask, why are you using "BLACK Out" when you want it to start black?

I use Black In and haven't noticed this problem. Good to know in case I do need it in future..It's also cool to just start with "BLACK" then after a certain amount of time have a white in or black in.

Can I just ask, why are you using "BLACK Out" when you want it to start black?

I use Black In and haven't noticed this problem. Good to know in case I do need it in future..It's also cool to just start with "BLACK" then after a certain amount of time have a white in or black in.

I understand what you are saying ...

For a reason, if I do not use the "Black Out", I see my character for like a second before it turns black (from the black in).

My script is executed in the init file of my unit. It's like it would take 1 seconds for that script to be called.

I use this in an intro scene ... I wonder if I could call the script from a better place. The init.sqs is for the mission section right? I need it for the intro section.

I tried this but it stays black.. i only want it black for aprox 8 seconds..

TitleText ["Black Screen", "BLACK OUT", 2]; // "2" Fade in Time
PlayMusic "Track02_Insertion"; // Music while waiting (Optional)
sleep 8; // "8" Just Wait 8 seconds
TitleText ["Restoring Screen", "BLACK IN", 2]; // "2" Fade out Time
PlayMusic ""; // Disables the music

// You can delete "Black Screen" and "Restoring Screen" if you wish, just changing them for "" for no text on screen.