Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

HI, I love playing arma2 even tho I still consider myself to be quite noob still : )

I run Arma2 on default graphics settings. I get some lag when I play. During regular gameplay when engaging infantry on foot in villages, its a minor problem. But if I try to fly over a major city in a Harrier my the lag gets amazing. Even when Im not playing multiplayer.

I thought my Graphics card could handle it but I guess I was wrong.

My specs ( im not good at hardware ) :

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3GHz

Graphics card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 512 MB PCI-E 2.0

Memory : 4 G Corssair DDR2

I've got PCI Express 2.0, and of course want to keep the motherboard.

I want a Graphics card that makes Arma 2 lag free, but I don't need to play at highest settings. But a bit higher then default would be great.

What Card can I buy to get rid of the lag ?

I doubt it is your video card, we have 2 members using the same, but they are using XP and a smaller cpu/less ram. Their game runs smooth for them.

You could try Vista SP2, I had a great performance boost back then.

Otherwise, try setting Nvidia CP to Performance, and maybe turn off User Account Control in Vista (if you are the only user of the pc).

And ofcourse defrag with a better tool than Vista's built in.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a program that can rewrite the names of MP3 files. I just downloaded "The Annual 2010" from musicload.de (online distributer that seems to be to lazy to name each file) and it has 60 tracks.

The right names are indeed displayed while using Winamp and I already tried my usual mp3 tagging tool, but the names itself displayed in windows explorer are still wrong.

Does anyone know a program that not only rewrites the tags but the name of the file, too?

I have finally change my CPU into Q9650, now the question is, what is the normal temps for my CPU? how should I know that the cooler is installed correctly? and what is the best soft to do a test? I dont want to jump straight into A2 risking to fry my new CPU

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a program that can rewrite the names of MP3 files. I just downloaded "The Annual 2010" from musicload.de (online distributer that seems to be to lazy to name each file) and it has 60 tracks.

The right names are indeed displayed while using Winamp and I already tried my usual mp3 tagging tool, but the names itself displayed in windows explorer are still wrong.

Does anyone know a program that not only rewrites the tags but the name of the file, too?

MP3 Tag or the AIMP 2 Tag editor are pretty good

using real temp 3.40 to check the temp

right now it is 36 34 38 and 37

I did a load test using orthos as someone told me, but could only test CPU#1 and #2, end up with a error temp at that point is 61 55 55 54

I am using the old stock fan from E6600 instead of the new one because the heat sink is larger plus i cant trust the old design fan from P4 3GB era with all the problem i had faced with it

Edited by 4 IN 1

You really should use the cooler than came with the CPU... The Core 2 Duos don't put out anywhere near as much heat as the Core 2 Quads, and the fan probably won't hold up well. I'd get a third party fan, something like an OCZ Vendetta or a Zalman.

I would go for a thirt party fan, but the one that came with the CPU just isnt anywhere better(if not worse, I mean small head sink, small contact surface to CPU, same fan speed) then the the old one when I put that on and do a simple test(42 on idle, 66 on load, which is just way hotter then the old one), plus there is tons of those in my old company, if they are any good I would have already save my time on changing back to my old one

Edited by 4 IN 1

once after upgrading the cpu some new problem shows up, first the computer cant boot up, reseting BIOS did the trick but then the computer started to have CTD problem when playing games, sometime show BSOD, most of CTD problem show random dx9 .dll error, dont knows whats the BSOD is about, extra GFX glitches when playing A2 for 15min onwards(texture all mess up, HDR go nuts, sometime screen turn blue) flush command can get the things back working normally for a while, then problem starts again and followed by CTD or BSOD, did I somehow fry my GFX or PSU?? :confused:

Edited by 4 IN 1

Im using this one, for about 2 years.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2005/08/23/Speed-Link-Medusa-5-1-Surround-Headset/p1

Im very happy with them.

Just listing to the surroundings :)

Had the same ones for about the same time - yeah very happy

I did notice the difference & for example was accurately able to locate incoming helis before seeing them (not hard considering my average pc specs :D)

Can anybody recommend a better virtual machine than VirutalPC? It needs to be as simple ot use as that but needs to support USB ports, or at least recognize them.

VirtualBox is what I use. It's free, and comparable (although not necessarily quite as good) to the high-endI VMware Workstation. f you're running a Linux machine, KVM might also be an option to consider.

Just DLed, installed it and am installing 32bit xp on it. Big plus for simplcity. And the biggest plus: it's M$ free and free in general!

I recently found out that my laptop can infact have more RAM added (previously I thought laptops were unable to be changed). My laptop is abysmal, not least because it only has 512MB RAM. It can run ArmA1 OK on mid settings with the OFP Veg mod, but ArmA2 is completely off-limits. However, would upgrading the RAM (max to 2GB) ensure ArmA1 is running on higher settings, and possibly I may be able to run ArmA2 on very low settings (and with e.g. Kju's Res Veg)? My graphics card isn't great either however. Current settings:

CPU: 1.6Ghz

Graphics card: Raedon X1300

RAM: 512MB

Or if you have Speccy this is all the system info: System information

I recently found out that my laptop can infact have more RAM added (previously I thought laptops were unable to be changed). My laptop is abysmal, not least because it only has 512MB RAM. It can run ArmA1 OK on mid settings with the OFP Veg mod, but ArmA2 is completely off-limits. However, would upgrading the RAM (max to 2GB) ensure ArmA1 is running on higher settings, and possibly I may be able to run ArmA2 on very low settings (and with e.g. Kju's Res Veg)? My graphics card isn't great either however. Current settings:

CPU: 1.6Ghz

Graphics card: Raedon X1300

RAM: 512MB

Or if you have Speccy this is all the system info: System information

I fear your GPU is way too slow for ArmA 2.

It's a low budget type GPU of 3 generations ago, which is two extremes.

Also, the T2050 doesn't meet the needs to play ArmA 2 at all.

Next year a new batch of mobile CPU's en GPU's will be released by Intel and AMD.

If you want to upgrade you might want the Mobility HD 5850 and a 820XM/920XM or Phenom II N930/X920 BE.

That ought to run ArmA 2 properly. But do keep in mind the portable devices often lack power, and ArmA 2 is incredibly power hungry. A desktop system is more suitable and cheaper as a gaming platform albeit less portable.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

A old problem is hunting me again... searched everywhere but nowhere i found anyone with a similar problem.

Maybe here i find a solution before i go insane.

Every few Months i have the problem and usually it went away after a while but now it is like that for a few days already and i rather have it solved then trust on my luck again and wait till it happens next time.

Well, i switch on the PC, get the usual booting beep but no monitor signal at all.

The odd thing is that as soon as Windows is loaded i suddently get a signal as if nothing happened before, this happens right when the desktop is loaded so nothing of the boot process can be seen.

As i have the free Windows7 test versiosn on a second partition usually this one starts as the lastr installed OS is selected on booting if i dont change to start XP which is pure luck as you have to find the right moment to push up and enter to get XP instead of 7 ( i do most in XP still especially Photoshop stuff ).

System itself seems ok to me as once i got a monitor signal all works fine, i can play for hours, stress the ram and so on without a crash in months.

So im totally confused what to do.

System Specs are:

- WinXP Professional SP3 & latest updates, Win7 as second boot option with latest updates. Both OS are 32bit versions.

- Monitor is a HP W2207h LCD connected via HDMI

For the rest i let pics speak:

cpuc.jpg

grakka.jpg

mainboard.jpg

memoryq.jpg

caches.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2830/spdg.jpg

What connection is used to connect your PC to your monitor? It isn't HDMI perchance?

HDMI indeed as posted above but using the DVI adapter that came with the card that makes it fit to the standard display port, changed to HDMI as i always had a light flickering or better said a wave like effect in darker games with the standard cable.

So the HDMI is to blame here?

Also i found out somethign intresting, once i plug a TV cable in the card i can see the boot sequence on the TV, so a signal is there.

If it is the HDMI i just wonder why it works for months and then suddently stops for days just to work again bit later, however that might be it.

Had a similar problem few years ago but there i only got signal once in a while and if then mostly just very bad... this lead to me replacing as good as everything so only the case, DVD drives and HDD were keept unchanged while the rest like the motherboard, rams, cpu, gpu all were changed after i noticed the card wast the problem back then ( was the first thing i changed back then ).

Wondering if the LCD screen may be to blame.

Oh and just incase, all drivers are up to date.

Edited by Shadow NX

I misread your original post, I didn't realized that the problem was intermittent.

If the thing works fine with your TV, but not with your screen, the odds are that the screen is in some way defective.

The reason I suggested HDMI was because of the fact that some graphics cards don't always send anything out through the HDMI ports until drivers are loaded. If you are hooked up via DVI-out though, that would not be an issue.

MP3 Tag or the AIMP 2 Tag editor are pretty good

Thanks mate, thats exactly what I was looking for!!! :) :yay: