Sign in to follow this  
Raccool

Error compiling pixel shader PSSSSMSpecularAlpha:1

Anyone have any idea what this means or how to fix it? A Google search turned up almost zero hits.

Fresh install to my F: drive, where I install my games, and patch to 1.03 before my first launch. I'm on Vista Home Premium SP2 x64 with, as far as I'm aware, all the latest drivers for everything. I've even tried launching as an Administrator and in Compatibility Mode with no success.

If there's any other information I can get you, let me know and I'll be happy to do it but I've got a bunch of friends waiting for me to get this working so I can join them.

are you running mods? 1.03 can break some? also are your paths to the .cfgs correct?

Like I said, fresh install. Completely vanilla. Just did an uninstall/reinstall, still having the issue.

EDIT: I was told that there were issues if you didn't go 1.01 -> 1.02 -> 1.03 and I skipped 1.02 so I went back and reinstalled with the middle step.

Update: I've tried disabling UAC, reinstalling DirectX and the latest drivers, disabling my firewall and antivirus, and even using the config files from when I played the demo but nothing's worked. I'm all out of ideas.

I've got a noob tournament coming up. 4v4, brand new players, 3 hours. I'd really like to participate in this but I can't if I can't even get the game to launch. :(

Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi... You're my only hope.

so it is english, and the .exe version is? 1.1.0.57631.

Your 1.03 is good to go with no other previous patches. Thats how i installed my 505/dvd, DVD then 1.03. I had this error with .DE version it was like a languge issue... after a patch 1.02?. But my Steam version made my .DE all english... they shared the .cfgs. This is all on a v64 install. As i goggled around for it i saw a fix with a registry change to make it be the same lang... not sure which key it is tho. You have a player profile.cfg?

Anyways try a beta.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83026

After installing the 1.03 update I could not start ARMA2. At startup I would see the row of ticks followed by a brief black screen then a CTD with an error message window stating "Error compiling pixel shader PSSSSM Specular Alpha:1". After some searching the internet I could not find the same error message but reading about other "Error compiling pixel shader" errors I ended up reinstalling version 1.01 from dvd and patching that directly to 1.03 which seems to work. I was some way through Badlands before the 1.03 update and cannot resume the mission but a revert seems to be working so far.

Thought I'd post this if any others are having the same error.

System specs at the time were:

Win XP SP3 32bit

NVIDIA GeForce Driver Release 190.38 (and tried 186.18 WHQL)

Intel i7 920 CPU

Gigabyte EX58 Extreme MB

2 x Gigabyte GTX 260OC's in SLI

6Gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 triple

Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Water Cooling System

As you can see I had the same problem but I was able to fix mine with a fresh install.

From what I'm reading your the same as me in that you can play ArmA2 v1.01 and 1.02 but you get the crash to desktop as soon as you install 1.03?

[Edit] Your error is also mentioned HERE

Edited by mlenser
Added link

Maybe it is too late but check the shortcut parameters. I had the same problem using a launcher for ArmA2 (mainly to manage mods) but when I used a regular shortcut with manual input the error was gone.