Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² Discussion

Do you want first aid modules used in the Missions/Campaigns?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want first aid modules used in the Missions/Campaigns?

• Yes, please add the ability to provide first aid and drag wounded
    • No, please keep it as the original, without the First Aid module and only medics can heal

A heads up to anyone who was trying out the manual tracking of the TOW missiles on the AH-1 or any other TOW launch platform, you may have noticed the missiles seem to disappear at a certain distance. I was chalking this up to draw distance, but zGuba has ascertained that missiles over a certain speed seem to become invisible. I would imagine this is a optimization measure. After a heroically detailed empirical analysis of all missiles, and comparing that to time-to-max-range statistics of real life missiles, he has found that many of the missiles in game are flying 2-5 times faster than their real life maximum speed. Personally, I consider this detail trifling on its own, but combined with the fact that it causes SACLOS missiles to become invisible, it becomes quite troublesome. It seems like reducing the speed of the missiles would be a foregone conclusion, but there is a problem: the maxspeed characteristics of missiles does not seem to alter its actual maximum speed very much. Fortunately, zGuba has come up with a solution to this as well. If you multiply the thrust characteristic of the missiles with the ratio of real life speed to ingame speed, the product thrust number seems to result in ballpark real life average missile speeds. I have tested this with the CWR2 TOW missiles and it would seem that they stay visible all the way to their target! So, while we are adjusting the missile speeds for SACLOS and other missiles, we may as well make them realistic, based on zGuba's work. Expect altered missile speeds for better SACLOS guidance in our next release.

Edited by Max Power

A heads up to anyone who was trying out the manual tracking of the TOW missiles on the AH-1 or any other TOW launch platform, you may have noticed the missiles seem to disappear at a certain distance. I was chalking this up to draw distance, but zGuba has ascertained that missiles over a certain speed seem to become invisible. I would imagine this is a optimization measure. After a heroically detailed empirical analysis of all missiles, and comparing that to time-to-max-range statistics of real life missiles, he has found that many of the missiles in game are flying 2-5 times faster than their real life maximum speed. Personally, I consider this detail trifling on its own, but combined with the fact that it causes SACLOS missiles to become invisible, it becomes quite troublesome. It seems like reducing the speed of the missiles would be a foregone conclusion, but there is a problem: the maxspeed characteristics of missiles does not seem to alter its actual maximum speed very much. Fortunately, zGuba has come up with a solution to this as well. If you multiply the thrust characteristic of the missiles with the ratio of real life speed to ingame speed, the product thrust number seems to result in ballpark real life average missile speeds. I have tested this with the CWR2 TOW missiles and it would seem that they stay visible all the way to their target! I understand that some of this is already present in that mod. So, while we are adjusting the missile speeds for SACLOS and other missiles, we may as well make them realistic, based on zGuba's work. Expect altered missile speeds for better SACLOS guidance in our next release.

Awesome, professional work guys. Keep it up!

The community has given us so much, and now we would like to give something back. We are extremely excited to announce that our project has been included in the six config browser.

Our configs are now part of the vast and ever growing library of community made resources. Now you can browse through our configs for every object in our Demo 3, including the editor objects, all vehicles, weapons, magazines, ammo, etc. If you like how we have done a particular thing and want to know how we achieved it, if it's in our configs, our methods are now at your fingertips.

Head on down to the browser at six-projects.net and check it out.

Special thanks to Sickboy for including our mod.

N.B. The config on the browser is what was released in Demo 3 and doesn't reflect the current state of our files on our repository.

Edited by Max Power

Wow, that's very nice of you CWR2 team.

We do try to do the best quality work we can with the configs so hopefully committing them to the general body of community knowledge will benefit someone at some point :)

I agree.

This unit opens up loads of new mission scenario possibilities!

Then again old ladies can give you a malicious reprimand if needed.

What's the classname for a frying pan/wooden spoon again? :p

Those configs will be useful, thanks very much, guys.

I recently finished handpainting a base maquette for some CWC Character...

facefront_wip.jpg

The model proportions are based quite a bit on the OFP head within certain constraints of the ArmA 2 head. Hopefully, when it's finished, it will appear vaguely familiar but the face animations will also work out.

Edited by Max Power

Holy crap - hope you didn't do that from the mirror! I will take the look in those eyes to my grave!

Fantastic work as always - you are a master with a paintbrush!

Holy crap - hope you didn't do that from the mirror!

The bags under my eyes are bigger!

Shaved Guba or col. Blake? :)

Well, the maquette doesn't have any hair at all because I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I've done some tests and it's looking like hand painting will not be suitable.

Edited by Max Power

Am I the only one who opened the thread on that post, saw that face and screamed like a little girl dropping their water? >_> That thing scared the crap outta me XD Looks good though

looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final result, with hair and all.

Wooo that is some crazily amazing mesh and paint detail there, so many creases and bumps and variations in skin tone yet it all blends so well together I'm guessing he's definately someone in command based on the chin, everyone has the chin...

His expression..did he just finish duke nukem forever?

Well, its sure not Robert Hammer.

It could be with some coloring. It could never be Angelina for sure...

Thank you for the kind comments :)

I posted the image without stating who it is supposed to be so I could gauge the reaction to 'how it feels' out of that context. The comments so far have been very good, and have given me some things to consider :)

I do not consider myself a character artist by any stretch of the imagination. Designing a character around an existing one from a cast that everyone loves so much, but without having any real reference, is not something I'm taking lightly.

Designing a character around an existing one from a cast that everyone loves so much, but without having any real reference, is not something I'm taking lightly.

Well in reference to how Guba would really look you can always google up some Jim Darling ( of Codemasters ) pics as his face was used for Guba.

http://kwaleehosting.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Jim-Darling-GFC.jpg

Well, believe me, I've looked for both modeling and texture references for Jim Darling, Jonah Lotan, etc. Jim Darling has like 2 pictures on the internet, and that is one of them. It's not suitable for texture reference, unfortunately. And besides, that's not how Guba looked. Guba's head isn't so round, his chin is much different. Jim Darling also doesn't really look someone you would call 'The Dentist'.

Thats pretty cool Max. I've often thought BIS character models lacked that tiny little bit of stuff that would make them realy interesting and entertaining so I'm interested to see how the enhanced characterizationturns out.I'm betting it's going to be very cool.

I know that cwr 2 mod team will not make Red Hammer campagn (this campaign was made by codemasters not by bis). But if someone like to play this campaign, now you can. From arma2base you can download usermade Red Hammer camp remake for cwr2 by shj: cutscenes, radio messages and voices from original version in english. Only 1 small problem for many players: all briefings are in german language.

Only 1 small problem for many players: all briefings are in german language.

Which makes it more or less useless for the majority of players. If you speak no German, how are you supposed to do the job when you don't know what to do.

It's not that hard to make multilanguage briefings. Only thing that must be really translated are the tasks, the rest can be taken from the original stringtable files.

I had a look for it but couldnt find it. Link or is it not allowed?