Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios: ArmA2.PBO and Countermeasures Released

Guest RKSL-Rock
So there is zero way to convert it so that it does work in script / mission form?
Let me suggest it would be well worth making a Lite-version for mission inclusion with as much commonality as possible (i.e. User Action 20) but using the BIS FX.

I dont understand why you would want to? Its not like having to download 300mb just to get the flares? The system doesnt actually do anything when its inactive so it doesnt use any extra resources...

As for mission scripts... i cant really see a scenerio where that would be better than an addon. What exactly are you thinking of im genuinely curious now?

Mission scripts are better than an addon when it comes to just rocking on up to a server and playing. If the flares people get to use in MP missions operate as closely as possible to the ones they might seek out or already have for SP or private MP games you have achieved a de-facto standard.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

I should add by way of explanation, I've never played BF2 but I suspect I'm of that type, I don't care for playing with or against AI; I want human adversaries. I have between now and the release of the Linux binaries to find/create enough missions to run a public P-v-P server, said server is a marginal proposition at best and I won't be requiring players to arrive with add-ons installed, just turn up and play. As such the only CM system which I'll be including will be one that can be downloaded with the mission, I just think it would be as well if it worked as similarly as possible to the best addon solution.

thanks for contributing and having passion for this game. I have a question about the flare system. If my aircraft is not able to detect incoming missiles, how am i suppose to know when to use them? what is a proper scenario to when to use them?

Thanks.

I have a question about the flare system. If my aircraft is not able to detect incoming missiles, how am i suppose to know when to use them? what is a proper scenario to when to use them?

Thanks.

The system does detect incoming missiles, and deploys flares automatically when an AA missile is launched at the aircraft, but you also have the option to manually fire flares whenever it takes your fancy.

The manual flare release system is a preemptive defense, useful when you think there may be an anti-aircraft threat around that is waiting to engage you. Releasing a group of flares increases the number of lockable targets for the AA systems, lowering the probability them finding you within the cloud of targets and locking on.

It's particularly useful when heading into a helicopter landing zone where you will have to fly slowly or hover. For jets, releasing them on the exit of a strafing run reduces the success of follow-on attacks where the enemy ground units react to your first strafing run and try to engage your aircraft as you fly away.

On the other hand you might just want to fly low over a bunch of your mates online an dump a load of flares on them 'cus it looks cool... :D

The system does detect incoming missiles, and deploys flares automatically when an AA missile is launched at the aircraft, but you also have the option to manually fire flares whenever it takes your fancy.

The manual flare release system is a preemptive defense, useful when you think there may be an anti-aircraft threat around that is waiting to engage you. Releasing a group of flares increases the number of lockable targets for the AA systems, lowering the probability them finding you within the cloud of targets and locking on.

It's particularly useful when heading into a helicopter landing zone where you will have to fly slowly or hover. For jets, releasing them on the exit of a strafing run reduces the success of follow-on attacks where the enemy ground units react to your first strafing run and try to engage your aircraft as you fly away.

On the other hand you might just want to fly low over a bunch of your mates online an dump a load of flares on them 'cus it looks cool... :D

Thank you, nice read.

so i'm supposed to put all the files from

RKSL Arma2.pbo - Applies RKSL systems to BIS vehicles and Aircraft

RKSL System V2.00 - Core system files required by all RKSL addons

RKSL Flares V2.00 - Chaff and Flare system

in one @RKSL/addons folder?

I dont understand why you would want to? Its not like having to download 300mb just to get the flares? The system doesnt actually do anything when its inactive so it doesnt use any extra resources...

As for mission scripts... i cant really see a scenerio where that would be better than an addon. What exactly are you thinking of im genuinely curious now?

rock, the reason I can see that being a superior option is because ArmA 2 can't auto download addons when connecting to a server. If you put it in a script and binarize the mission, it's in there, and it will be downloaded with the mission, you don't have to manually download an extra pbo or 3 just to play a mission. In some cases, script is a good option to have so that everyone has it in a mission, and so that they get it automatically.

so i'm supposed to put all the files from

RKSL Arma2.pbo - Applies RKSL systems to BIS vehicles and Aircraft

RKSL System V2.00 - Core system files required by all RKSL addons

RKSL Flares V2.00 - Chaff and Flare system

in one @RKSL/addons folder?

Correct. Then place @RKSL in your shortcut's target line. Enjoy.

Fantastic release RKSL, as always. Where would OFP/ArmA/ArmA 2 aviation be without you guys :)

Just a quick question regarding the hotkey assignment for the flares. Is this set by default to the Custom Command / User Action 20? Because i cant seem to get it to launch cm's.

Looking into the description.ext you released with the missions i can see there is the option to allow the keypress. Is this something that need to be defined for the keypress to work or just to disable (which i had assumed was the case)?

Thanks for the release and any help you can provide.

Guest RKSL-Rock
rock, the reason I can see that being a superior option is because ArmA 2 can't auto download addons when connecting to a server. If you put it in a script and binarize the mission, it's in there, and it will be downloaded with the mission, you don't have to manually download an extra pbo or 3 just to play a mission. In some cases, script is a good option to have so that everyone has it in a mission, and so that they get it automatically.

OK I can see that, UNN and I briefly discussed it this afternoon. We don't think its possible to make the systems entirely script based and still retain all its functions. The flares rely on custom model objects and a script only based system you would lose a lot of the functions that make this system better than the old OFP inspired countermeasures.

I'll let UNN explain the technical aspects later but converting the scripts would diminish the performance/experience so much that it wouldn't be worth converting it in my opinion. You may as well use the BIS scripts.

Just a quick question regarding the hotkey assignment for the flares. Is this set by default to the Custom Command / User Action 20? Because i cant seem to get it to launch cm's.

Looking into the description.ext you released with the missions i can see there is the option to allow the keypress. Is this something that need to be defined for the keypress to work or just to disable (which i had assumed was the case)?

Thanks for the release and any help you can provide.

You don't need the description.ext unless you want to alter the way the system performs or disable it.

Key mapping instructions are about halfway down this page - http://www.rkslstudios.info/documentation/30-instructions/135-rksl-radarsys-v20-beta.html

Make sure the mod folder is active and the files are in the right path:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@RKSL\addons

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Cheers for that Rock, pretty much what i was doing.

Entirely my fault, tried to assign Action 20 to a joystick button. All sorted now, with my profile software.

Thanks again...

I'm going to ask the obvious here, but is there any chance the fix could be put into a .pbo for those of us a bit :icon_wink:

Cheers...

Great work Rock & co!

Noticed the KA-52's MFD's and HUD was bugged. However i use a lot of addons (not CBA though). The MFD's was green with some bunch of jibberish and the HUD was blinking on and off. Will test without other addons later. But i dont use any addons that should mess (LandTex, Mi28, SoundMod, SapClutter etc). Not really something that confilcts - or so it seems to me. But i guess someone is messing with it.

Worked flawlessly though and did its job. Good work guys and thanks!

Alex

Cheers m8, appreciated.

A10 up up and away... :):):)

tried it, it's great. You can switch to it by using the "F" key or mount to your cyclic then employ with the fire button, i'm using it with the KA50 mod

Guest RKSL-Rock
tried it, it's great. You can switch to it by using the "F" key or mount to your cyclic then employ with the fire button, i'm using it with the KA50 mod

Or just map it to a key press as per the instructions :rolleyes:

Or just map it to a key press as per the instructions :rolleyes:

i wish i had more buttons on my evo cyborg wireless :(, all buttons are currently assigned.

Does the MP server need to have this addon if I wanna use it on one? I mean I tried using it in MP and it wasnt there (I jumped to the editor to check if its working there and it was).

Of course the server needs it ^^ imagine you got an addon where you shoot nuclear bombs out of a gun and noone would be able to stop you ingame ='D