Sign in to follow this  
techie714

ARMA 2 Ammo Types?

First off let me just say I'm LOVING this game. I realize it still needs a couple of more patches but the scope is impressive & the mechanics are well thought out.

Question: Is their an ARMA 2 Wiki & if so does it explain each type of ammo in the game & its uses?

For guns that use multiple types of rounds, you can wiki the gun/ammo to see what it does exactly, if that's what you're looking for.

First off let me just say I'm LOVING this game. I realize it still needs a couple of more patches but the scope is impressive & the mechanics are well thought out.

Question: Is their an ARMA 2 Wiki & if so does it explain each type of ammo in the game & its uses?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

But i dont know if the info you are asking for is on it.

How about just a list maybe then of all the weapon/ammo types?

And if you want you can add this to the units init line

this addEventHandler ["FIRED",{hint format["Weapon: %1\nMuzzle: %2\nMode: %3\nAmmo: %4",_this select 1,_this select 2,_this select 3,_this select 4]}]

Do mind that this doesn't work too well on tanks and etc because they fire too fast at times.

If you're having troubles with that and are abit familiar with scripting, PM me and I'll send you an example.

Edited by Taurus
spelling...

err...Taurus...wrong post?

Most guns come with their respective ammo. Some though, mainly the western guns, all use the same ammo and magazine well. Thus, you can use magazines from the G36 or the STANAG magazines in the G36, M4, M16, M8, or any other standard western AR. That even means putting an MG36 magazine on an M4 or SPR. Too bad it doesn't make it look like there's a beta mag on there.

The other difference is Suppressed rounds. These are denoted with "SD" at the end of the magazine name (STANAG SD, AK SD). The difference being that SD rounds are usually subsonic compared to supersonic standard rounds. You can fire SD rounds through a standard gun that normally uses standard ammo, or normal rounds through a suppressed weapon. But because they move slower, SD rounds have a shorter effective range. Expect to be limited to about 50 meters less than you are used to, and expect to use more rounds to kill someone. Finally, using standard rounds (STANAG vs STANAG SD) in a suppressed weapon means that, despite the suppressor, your shots are going to be about as loud (though not as loud) as a standard rifle. Standard rule of thumb is to use whatever type of magazine your gun comes with, until you have no choice but to switch or run out of ammo.

G36 = STANAG (someone have some hard details to the differences between the two?

G36 SD = STANAG SD

All of them fit into the western rifles. Also note that you can switch magazines through the action menu, allowing you to take different magazines if you so wish.

PS: Forgot to mention, that the STANAG is the standard 5.56mm x 45 used by the US military in the M16, M4, or AR-15.

Most guns come with their respective ammo. Some though, mainly the western guns, all use the same ammo and magazine well. Thus, you can use magazines from the G36 or the STANAG magazines in the G36, M4, M16, M8, or any other standard western AR. That even means putting an MG36 magazine on an M4 or SPR. Too bad it doesn't make it look like there's a beta mag on there.

The other difference is Suppressed rounds. These are denoted with "SD" at the end of the magazine name (STANAG SD, AK SD). The difference being that SD rounds are usually subsonic compared to supersonic standard rounds. You can fire SD rounds through a standard gun that normally uses standard ammo, or normal rounds through a suppressed weapon. But because they move slower, SD rounds have a shorter effective range. Expect to be limited to about 50 meters less than you are used to, and expect to use more rounds to kill someone. Finally, using standard rounds (STANAG vs STANAG SD) in a suppressed weapon means that, despite the suppressor, your shots are going to be about as loud (though not as loud) as a standard rifle. Standard rule of thumb is to use whatever type of magazine your gun comes with, until you have no choice but to switch or run out of ammo.

G36 = STANAG (someone have some hard details to the differences between the two?

G36 SD = STANAG SD

All of them fit into the western rifles. Also note that you can switch magazines through the action menu, allowing you to take different magazines if you so wish.

PS: Forgot to mention, that the STANAG is the standard 5.56mm x 45 used by the US military in the M16, M4, or AR-15.

At least in the demo, you cannot use regular STANAG mags in the suppressed M4A1.

Edited by akd42

No, I was just thinking IF he wanted to know which ammo his current weapon uses, instead of browsing/searching the thread posted above...

Ah, looked like you were answering an editing question. My Bad!

And are you sure you haven't tried going through the action menu ( [, ], or mousewheel to scroll through) for "reload ___ mag" ?

JUST TESTED!!! It does not allow you to fire standard STANAG rounds through a suppressed weapon like the M4A1 CCO SD. Someone with RL firearms knowledge could probably answer exactly why, but I'm guessing something about blowing out the suppressor.

Edited by AJsarge

Hmm, true.

But that way he won't know what magazine class names he needs to have when adding custom weapons to units in the editor or via a script.

Because AFAIK the "reload mag" name doesn't correspon with the magazine name.

Now that's a scripting issue and I won't be venturing deeper into it if not requested by OP :)

JUST TESTED!!! It does not allow you to fire standard STANAG rounds through a suppressed weapon like the M4A1 CCO SD. Someone with RL firearms knowledge could probably answer exactly why, but I'm guessing something about blowing out the suppressor.

Yes, thats true.

Edited by Taurus
Answering quote

Yes, thats true.

No, that is not true. US military, at least, typically uses regular issue ammunition with suppressors. Subsonic ammunition typically will not cycle the bolt in a gas-operated rifle.

This best demonstrates both regular and subsonic ammo in the same rifle with a suppressor:

Edited by akd42

hmm, after watching the video.

He needs to reload after each SD bullet.

That' wouldn't make sense in combat, perhaps Arma simu *cough* another silencer?

Because generally its the gas pressure which retracts the bolt, and with a silencer the gas pressure would be lower.

Which would make the silencer be blown apart when using ammunition with higher gas pressure.

Edited by Taurus

hmm, after watching the video.

He needs to reload after each SD bullet.

SD bullet? Meaningless term.

That' wouldn't make sense in combat, perhaps Arma simu *cough* another silencer?
No, the suppressor (silencer) is not making a difference. The ammunition is.
Because generally its the gas pressure which retracts the bolt, and with a silencer the gas pressure would be lower.

No, it is somewhat higher. Do you mean with subsonic ammunition? If so, yes, but that has nothing to do with the suppressor on the end of the rifle.

Which would make the silencer be blown apart when using ammunition with higher gas pressure.

Any ammunition with high enough pressure to blow apart the suppressor would do permanent damage to the rifle as well. All quality suppressors are designed to be shot with standard military ammunition. This is not surprising, as that is how they are most often used.

Edited by akd42

I would like to know why can you load mg36 magazine into Holo or M16A4 RCO GL and NOT in M4A1 RCO GL?