Sign in to follow this  
gravyface

Display adapter does not support format D24S8 for X8R8G8B8.

For anyone experiencing this issue, check your DirectDraw Acceleration settings under the Display tab in dxdiag. For some reason, mine was disabled.

No idea why, but I re-enabled it, and started Arma 2 1.02 no problem.

How re-enabled you it?

pls tell me this. I have also Arma and Vista so i want to play this game!

whats directdraw acceleration and whats dxdiag

im a noob at computing..i dont know anything at all (no really nothing!!!!!!)

Edited by bigcheese

what are your specs? what driver versions are you running? etc. etc.

im not shure how to find out but i think i have something along the lines of an intel core 2 cpu, 2GB of RAM i think the graphics card is a something 6400 and i remember seeing something about 2.13Ghz or somthing

this is the best i can do in the form of system specs unless u tell me how to find out properly

Edited by bigcheese
found something out

im not shure how to find out but i think i have something along the lines of an intel core 2 cpu, 2GB of RAM i think the graphics card is a something 6400 and i remember seeing something about 2.13Ghz or somthing

this is the best i can do in the form of system specs unless u tell me how to find out properly

what brand of computer do you have. Or what laptop? And if you actually got into your DXDIAG, / DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Then under Display at the top, it will have your "Name: xxxxxxx" of your vid card. Edited by kklownboy

what brand of computer do you have. Or what laptop? And if you actually got into your DXDIAG, / DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Then under Display at the top, it will have your "Name: xxxxxxx" of your vid card.

i think i have a microsoft media center PC m7000kr

name: (nothing here)

manufacturer: n/a

chip type: n/a

DAC type: n/a

approx, total memory: n/a

current display mode: 800x600 (16 bit) (1hz)

monitor: (nothing here)

arma2 has worked for me before then my computer broke for some reason now its saying the d24s8 message :(

plz help!!!!!!!!

i think i have a microsoft media center PC m7000kr

name: (nothing here)

manufacturer: n/a

chip type: n/a

DAC type: n/a

approx, total memory: n/a

current display mode: 800x600 (16 bit) (1hz)

monitor: (nothing here)

arma2 has worked for me before then my computer broke for some reason now its saying the d24s8 message :(

plz help!!!!!!!!

your running in VGA mode...your vidcard is not loading its drivers. Is this your PC? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00362163&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ie〈=en&product=468168#N929

get some canned air for computers and blow out the dust.

Edited by kklownboy

your running in VGA mode...your vidcard is not loading its drivers. Is this your PC? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00362163&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ie〈=en&product=468168#N929

get some canned air for computers and blow out the dust.

yes thats my computer and how do i get the caqrd working because its not dusty in there

Your video card is far too old and does not support the required technologies (Shader Model 3.0, yours has SM 2.0).

Plus you don't even have the graphic drivers installed.

Edited by Deadfast

Your video card is far too old and does not support the required technologies (Shader Model 3.0, yours has SM 2.0).

Plus you don't even have the graphic drivers installed.

well what do i do then?

arma2 worked before with the same graphics card

It couldn't work with the card specified (Radeon X300SE) for this PC.

well it did but it lagged a lot and i had to have it on very low graphics setting but it still worked...

what do u reccomned me doing then?

which new card should i buy?

do i need to upgrade anything else?

how the **** do u install a graphics card or whatever its called anyway?

You have a PCI-E slot so you could upgrade your card. But before all that can happen you need to loose the fear, open the box up, blow the dust out , look at all the wires ect, Use Google to find out about your stuff inside. ect. You need to get upto speed on computer H/W. The loss of your display driver can be from a few different issues, one being your card's fan has stopped.(dust?)

If this is the family's comp well then you need to sure when you mess around.

If you know how to get to your 'Device manager" you should look at your "Display Adapter" properties, and have it reinstall the drivers. OR AND go to ATI.com/AMD.com and get the latest driver.. that is if you have the 300se in there. You have said you had some 6400 thing, well that may mean you have a Gt6400 from Nvidia, and that can use 3.0ps ect. So you need to look in the box and see what you have. UNPLUG THE COMP FIRST

You have a PCI-E slot so you could upgrade your card. But before all that can happen you need to loose the fear, open the box up, blow the dust out , look at all the wires ect, Use Google to find out about your stuff inside. ect. You need to get upto speed on computer H/W. The loss of your display driver can be from a few different issues, one being your card's fan has stopped.(dust?)

If this is the family's comp well then you need to sure when you mess around.

If you know how to get to your 'Device manager" you should look at your "Display Adapter" properties, and have it reinstall the drivers. OR AND go to ATI.com/AMD.com and get the latest driver.. that is if you have the 300se in there. You have said you had some 6400 thing, well that may mean you have a Gt6400 from Nvidia, and that can use 3.0ps ect. So you need to look in the box and see what you have. UNPLUG THE COMP FIRST

If i dont know what all the stuff like the wires and hard-drive(which i have no idea what it is) is called then when i type into google it wont tell me what i want to know e.g-if i type "the red wire that goes from the big grey box to the green card with lots of components on it" it isnt going to turn out the correct results is it? i dont know anything about computers and electronical stuff so i have no idea which bits the graphics card and which bit is the proccessor. Google wont help unless i dismantle my computer and go to some shop and ask what it is so i can search about it. Dismantling my computer will probably not help me or my family because i will probably break all the bits when pulling them out and if i do pull it out successfully then i wont know how to re-assemble it :(. Oh and whats computer H/W?

Edited by bigcheese
made mistakes

H/W is short for Hardware.

And i am not asking you to take it apart. I was asking you to open it up and read whats on the H/W inside, and blow out all the dust. We cant help you if you dont tell us what you actually have. It can be easy or it can be hard. But you have to do the most basic stuff first if you want our help. Like going in to the Windows "Device Manager". Or looking in your "Control Panel" for "System". But 120$ at the shop might be all you need to do if you cant right click on 'My Computer" select "Manage" "Device Properties" see what you have under Display adapter.

H/W is short for Hardware.

And i am not asking you to take it apart. I was asking you to open it up and read whats on the H/W inside, and blow out all the dust. We cant help you if you dont tell us what you actually have. It can be easy or it can be hard. But you have to do the most basic stuff first if you want our help. Like going in to the Windows "Device Manager". Or looking in your "Control Panel" for "System". But 120$ at the shop might be all you need to do if you cant right click on 'My Computer" select "Manage" "Device Properties" see what you have under Display adapter.

In the device manager:

-YOUR-E6F0285AE

-Computer

ACPI Multiproccessor PC

-Disk drives

Generic USB CF Reader USD Device

Generic USB MS Reader USD Device

Generic USB SD Reader USD Device

Generic USB SM Reader USD Device

ST3300822AS

-DVD/CD-ROM drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L

-IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

-Keyboards

Enhanced Mulmedia PS/2 Keyboard

-Mice and other pointing devices

PS/2 Compatible Mouse

-Network adaptors

1394 Net Adaptor

Intel® 82562V 10/100 Network Connection

Wireless LAN PCI 802.11 b/g adaptor WN501A

-Other devices

Video Controller (VGA compatible)

-Proccessors

Intel® Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz

Intel® Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz

-SCSI and RAID controllers

Intel® ICH8R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller

-Sound, video and game controllers

ASUSTeK LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device

Audio Codecs

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media Control Devices

Realtek High Definition Audio

Video Codecs

-Storage volumes

Generic Volume

Generic Volume

Generic Volume

Generic Volume

-System devices

ACPI Fan

ACPI Fixed Feature Button

ACPI Thermal Zone

Direct memory access controller

Intel® 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E

Intel® 82801 Firmware Hub Device

Intel® ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 1

Intel® ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283E

Intel® ICH8DH LPC Interface Controller - 2812

Intel® P965/G965 PCI Express Root Port - 29A1

Intel® P965/G965 Proccessor to I/O Controller - 29A0

Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers

ISAPNP Read Data Port

Microcode Update Device

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

Motherboard Resources

Motherboard Resources

Motherboard Resources

Numeric data proccessor

PCI Bus

Plug and Play Software Device Enumeator

Programmable Interupt Controller

System Board

System CMOS/Real Time Clock

System Speaker

System timer

Terminal Server Device Redirector

-Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835

Intel® ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836

Intel® ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

that is all of the stuff in the "device manager"

and in system

TAB-General

System

Microsoft Windows XP

Media center edition

Version 2002

Service pack 2

Registered to:

"Me"

76487-OEM-0011903-00803

Hewlett-Packard Company

HP Pavilion

Intel® Core2 CPU

6400 @ 2.13GHz

2.13GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Physical Address Extension

do u need anything else under any of the other tabs-

System restore

Computer name

Automatic Updates

Hardware

Advanced

Remote?

or anything else at all???

Actually I think this is your system. So it looks like you do have a PCI-express for a video card; but it's using on-board graphics which suck for anything other than basic 2D use (text, web surfing, pictures, etc.)

But before you jump the gun, read HERE. It will give you a quick run-down of all the basics in a PC...which you will want to know before buying/installing anything. Don't be afraid to unplug it and take the side cover off and peek inside. I was like you at one time and didn't know squat about PC's, but then I finally decided to just crack it open (luckily it was an older system that I didn't use anymore ;) ) and started seeing how everything works. It REALLY helps just to get the basic terminology down like CPU, PSU, RAM, HDD, etc. so that people can better help you, and also so you know what to search for like "Installing a CPU"

Good luck!

Edited by No Use For A Name

Actually I think this is your system. So it looks like you do have a PCI-express for a video card; but it's using on-board graphics which suck for anything other than basic 2D use (text, web surfing, pictures, etc.)

But before you jump the gun, read HERE. It will give you a quick run-down of all the basics in a PC...which you will want to know before buying/installing anything. Don't be afraid to unplug it and take the side cover off and peek inside. I was like you at one time and didn't know squat about PC's, but then I finally decided to just crack it open (luckily it was an older system that I didn't use anymore ;) ) and started seeing how everything works. It REALLY helps just to get the basic terminology down like CPU, PSU, RAM, HDD, etc. so that people can better help you, and also so you know what to search for like "Installing a CPU"

Good luck!

Ok, thanks i now know what bit is what...the motherboard is the big bit with lots of components on it that sits on the side, the CPU sits in the middle of that the power comes from the box in the top left corner, the hardrive is the bit under the optical drive which is in the top right hand corner and the RAM is to the left of that. i have 2 gigs of ram in 2 blue slots and i have 2 black slots available so its possible i could have 4 gigs of ram, i know which bit the video card is and it sits on the pcb board u r talking about...

now what :s how do i fix my problem with arma2?

my computer has had a few problems recently such as the screen not turning on and stuff... somone said they had to reset the BIOS whatever that is :s and then a few weeks later it broke again...my computer is a pile of shit but me and my family dont have to best paycheck per month so we cant do anything about it unless we can do it ourselves...and as im the person with the most knowledge about computers its up to me.......and as i know nothing about how to fix it im pretty stuffed...at least if i get arma2 working somebody will be happy...

so what next?

first and foremost you'll need to get a new video card...like I said now you're using on-board video which won't run games (it's not designed to). This is your biggest bottleneck and will make the biggest difference. Yes, you can add more RAM but let's just focus on one thing at a time ;) and you probably won't notice a huge difference anyways.

Now I'm not sure how big your power supply is, but chances are it's some cheap off-brand that barely cranks out enough juice for your current system (most pre-built PC's skimp on the GPU/PSU to save money). So buying some top-of-the-line GPU is probably out of the question unless you upgrade you PSU also. You should be able to see how many watts (W) it is by just opening the side cover, and looking at the manufacturers sticker on the side. See if you can find the brand and wattage (it should be similar to this picture: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c01712587.jpg ). That will give us a better idea of what you can run.

Also take a look at this. It will give you a good start for finding current video cards.

Edited by No Use For A Name

first and foremost you'll need to get a new video card...like I said now you're using on-board video which won't run games (it's not designed to). This is your biggest bottleneck and will make the biggest difference. Yes, you can add more RAM but let's just focus on one thing at a time ;) and you probably won't notice a huge difference anyways.

Now I'm not sure how big your power supply is, but chances are it's some cheap off-brand that barely cranks out enough juice for your current system (most pre-built PC's skimp on the GPU/PSU to save money). So buying some top-of-the-line GPU is probably out of the question unless you upgrade you PSU also. You should be able to see how many watts (W) it is by just opening the side cover, and looking at the manufacturers sticker on the side. See if you can find the brand and wattage (it should be similar to this picture: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c01712587.jpg ). That will give us a better idea of what you can run.

Also take a look at this. It will give you a good start for finding current video cards.

the orange sticker from somthing called HIPRO says from top to bottom:

model HP-D3057F3P LF rev:04

AC input- 47-63hz 100-127v/8a

200-240v/4a

DC output- +5v-/25A , +12v-/19A

+3.3v-/18A , -12V-/0.8A

+5VSB-/2A

+5v & +3.3V Shall Not Exceed 175W

+5v & +12V Shall not exceed 268W

Max output power 300W

made in china

(under all of above translates in chinese)

how do i know what video card is compatible with my PC and would play arma2 at optimal settings, aso im still not quite shure how to install a graphics/video card anyway because mine at the moment looks like it's slotted in pretty tightly and shouldn't be removed.

Edited by bigcheese

yep just as I expected...you only have a 300w Power Supply; and that ain't gonna run many newer cards. You'd probably be looking at an Nvidia 8600GT or ATI 4650; which probably will only give you low-normal graphic settings. If you're alright with that, then go for it; but really I would upgrade to at least a 400-500w PSU. Im not sure how much money you're willing to spend; but a good name-brand PSU will run from $50-$60 usually; plus if you get a graphics card that will run the game decent at normal/high settings will probably run ~125-150.

As for installing, just google around as there are a ton of guides/tutorials..."Installing new graphics card" or something similar should give you hits. Also be sure that what you were looking at is the GPU; you might have other PCI cards in there that you don't need to remove. Easy way to tell is find you monitor cable and see where it plugs in to the back of your PC, and that will be your GPU. Maybe post some pics too; as almost every piece of hardware looks a little different

yep just as I expected...you only have a 300w Power Supply; and that ain't gonna run many newer cards. You'd probably be looking at an Nvidia 8600GT or ATI 4650; which probably will only give you low-normal graphic settings. If you're alright with that, then go for it; but really I would upgrade to at least a 400-500w PSU. Im not sure how much money you're willing to spend; but a good name-brand PSU will run from $50-$60 usually; plus if you get a graphics card that will run the game decent at normal/high settings will probably run ~125-150.

As for installing, just google around as there are a ton of guides/tutorials..."Installing new graphics card" or something similar should give you hits. Also be sure that what you were looking at is the GPU; you might have other PCI cards in there that you don't need to remove. Easy way to tell is find you monitor cable and see where it plugs in to the back of your PC, and that will be your GPU. Maybe post some pics too; as almost every piece of hardware looks a little different

So what do u recommend me doing for about £100 sterling which probably does not include paying someone to put it all in because it seems impossible to take out the power supply so i will need someone with experiance to do that.