Sign in to follow this  
pchaxor

The Nvidia opengl driver encountered an unrecoverable error

The Nvidia opengl driver encountered an unrecoverable error and must close this application - error 13

Symptoms:

ArmA II seems to ALT/TAB to the desktop and I am unable to "Switch To" or ALT/TAB back to the game .. I can still hear the sounds in tha game and when I fire or use the controls the sounds are normal and as if the game is still playing.

This is a Nvidia Driver Issue, but wondered if anyone here had a fix for it.

v186.18 - DX10

I have tried:

Uninstalling, sweeping and reloading the driver

Using an older driver, same results

Edited by pchaxor
Removed text about patch 1.02 related - coincidence

are you using skype? the latest version has an issue with the new interface. this causes fullscreen apps, like games, to minimise - constantly.

should you be using the latest skype version try shutting it down or simple go into the options and select classic windows under visual style.

just a thought.. if you dont have skype... well good luck.

Some others with the same / nearly the same problem as you (including myself):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78299

Reading of more and more people with the same issue makes me feel a bit better - at least with everyone who has this problems chances are increasing that this will be fixed soon (hopefully)

ARMA 2 is using Direct3D9 from DirectX9 ...

so OpenGL related error seems to be triggered by another application

ARMA 2 is using Direct3D9 from DirectX9 ...

so OpenGL related error seems to be triggered by another application

Then perhaps the OpenGL error is just a "side effect" of another error, but there doesn't seem to be another error in any logs or rpt files. It all seems a mystery. I am in no way blaming ArmA for the issues, it would be more of a "compatibilty" driver issue with Nvidia more than anything else. The coincidence of the updated 1.02 patch is just a fluke I am sure and I also put a recently "freshly tested" refirbished eVGA card in prior to the patch, so the issue could be card GPU related. (This will be #3 Bad from eVGA - no surprise)

I have a (proven stable) 2nd 8800 GT card and after putting that card in the error does not seem to happen anymore. I am going to continue testing and try to make it happen, but so far no luck with my 2nd card. I will report back in a few hours.

Does anyone with ATI cards have this issue?

- I appreciate all your help.

Hey, pchaxor.

The more I read in the web - I googled that error message a more than a few times by now - the more i agree with you.

the issue seems to be triggered by ArmA, but it is not an issue of ArmA itself.

I read of different ppl who had this error when playing WoW, Anno or Civilization. Some encountered it during the normal drag and drop of a window in win itself.

The Problem solutions written down by some of those ppl range from defect RAM over blaming the Aero theme for it to this: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx

No "solution" worked for me yet.

Now, the question is, I think: Does ArmA do something with the gfx-driver that windows tries to counter or to change again?

Whatever, the problem occurs in win 32 bit as well as 64 bit - in vista as well as in win 7.

Looking forward to reading yer report.

Regards.

BTW:

While searchign the web I found nvidia-users to be victim of this error most of the time. But I guess that has nothing to say since i just looked for the term "nvidia" most of the time, too.

try using Game Booster .

this little tool will with the click of one button suspend or kill all windows background processes (incl. Aero ) and re-enable them with the same ease.

try using Game Booster .

this little tool will with the click of one button suspend or kill all windows background processes (incl. Aero ) and re-enable them with the same ease.

Great thanks ... I may try that at a later date, but for now I am trying to isolate the problem not create a new one.

So far I have ran various MP missions and such and can't make the issue happen again after swapping out the card. Could it be that Nvidia has deployed a bunch of incompatible chip revisions with the latest driver? The older chip revisions are compatible with the latest drivers? weird?!

Edited by pchaxor

Well I played for over 4 hours yesterday and did not get the error.

I am going to play some more today and see if I can break it.

Well I played for over 4 hours yesterday and did not get the error.

I am going to play some more today and see if I can break it.

with your "older chip, latest drivers" setup?

Or did you solve the problem with your newer gfx-card, too?

When I get home today I am going to put the "problem" card back in and see if it creates the issue again. So far though I have not been able to make it happen again using the other card. Weird.

I have the feeling that I would not encounter any problems if I used my "old" 8800GTX ... but then, I just dont want to accept that I get these errors with a newer, more potent card.

I think I'll do some testing to, if I find some time to do so.