POTS

Who got crossfire to work?

Getting crossfire to work...  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Getting crossfire to work...

• Yes, it works
    • No, cant get it to work
    • Have not tried, but have crossfire capability

I have a 4890 Crossfire and can not make it work on ARMA2.

I tried renaming .exe, adding -winxp modifier but nothing works.

I'll wait for updates.

Regards,

Same here. I'm running WinXp with 2x4890 and I've tried -winxp, AI to advanced and rename to crysis.exe, but I get the same FPS numbers with or without crossfire...

Edit: Also, I can't for the life of me find the fillrate setting?

Edit2: Played around with some settings in CCC and now I get an ATI crossfire logo in top right corner when they're running in crossfire, still no improvement. :(

Edited by Rekrul

Sadly the game is CPU bound (well, it is on my 3.8GHz Core 2 Duo, which isn't surprising considering how rubbish my CPU is. cough.) so dual video cards won't help out in most situations.

I can get crossfire to work, but it actually hurts my performance. Here's my rig

MSI K9A2 Platinum

Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE @ 2.99GHz/230MHz FSB

2GB Geil DDR2 PC6400 4-4-4-12

2 HIS HD3870's 810/1126

When I have Crossfire turned off, I can run Arma 2 at 1680x1050 with everything at high, except AA disabled, and get a pretty solid, playable 25-30fps.

When I turn crossfire on with normal setting for texture qual/v. memory, either in the advanced or standard Cat AI modes, my framerates seem capped at about 30, then drop pretty quickly to 3-5 or even 1 fps, and I get wierd texture issues, where certain textures, usually the ground, starts to flash white, and it gets worse and worse unless I set vmem/tex. quality to low. That doesn't happen when crossfire is disabled. Temps on both cards stay at about 55°C because I have the fans set to full blast. Also, when I have crossfire enabled and the tex quality set to low, no matter what I change all my settings to resolution/detail, 30fps is about as high as I can get sustained. That is, no matter whether I max everythign out or turn everything off, I still get about 30 fps. Vsync is forced off in CCC. Any suggestions?

Vsync is forced off in CCC. Any suggestions?

Use ati tray tools, and try setting the ai to high, flip queue to 0 or 3 and force vsync off.

Same here. I'm running WinXp with 2x4890 and I've tried -winxp, AI to advanced and rename to crysis.exe, but I get the same FPS numbers with or without crossfire...

Edit: Also, I can't for the life of me find the fillrate setting?

Edit2: Played around with some settings in CCC and now I get an ATI crossfire logo in top right corner when they're running in crossfire, still no improvement. :(

I have the same thing , two HD4870's in crossfire and no performance increase over using just one card .

Infact its worse !!

Same here, got no improvement at all with using -winxp.

So crossfire does not working.

get ati tray tools and go to Tools & Options > OnScreen Display >

On the OSD tab: Enable Onscreen Display

On the FlashOSD tab;

Show all time

and check the following

- GPU Activity %

- GPU2 Activity %

Now start ArmA2 and check in your screen if both are active, if both are between 80-100% active and you still see no difference between one and two cores than there is probably a bottleneck, most probably your CPU.

It could also be that your PSU does not supply enough power to have the second processor enabled... on my system it shuts the whole system down because of that.

I don't have those options with CCC. Are you using some old ATI tray thing?

Edit: One thing I noticed though, in CCC it says primary adapter and disabled adapter. I don't know if it says that because I'm in desktop or because the other card is in slave mode?

Also I have a quadcore 2.85GHz CPU and a 750W PSU so it shouldn't be a problem...

Edited by Rekrul

I'd like to add that if you have a monitor plugged into your secondary card, then that card will not be used for rendering in crossfire. For me crossfire has never been working and I only just recently found this out, by plugging my secondary monitor into the primary card, crossfire started to kick in.

I'd like to add that if you have a monitor plugged into your secondary card, then that card will not be used for rendering in crossfire. For me crossfire has never been working and I only just recently found this out, by plugging my secondary monitor into the primary card, crossfire started to kick in.

I thought crossfire will only work on one display!

Enabling crossfire disables all other screens apart from the primary on my system.

When I enable crossfire my other 2 displays go blank, are you saying that even though they are not being used, the mere fact they are plugged into a DVI slot in the second card, it will prevent Crossfire from working?

That would be a real hassle to have to unplug each time.

Whats the point in being able to disable and enable it within software if you have to still unplug things.

My monitors still work in crossfire whatever card they are plugged into, but crossfire only takes effect when one of the cards are free of monitors. If i enable crossfire then my screens do cut off, but i can then re-enable them after crossfire is active.

Crossfire now 100% works, I have a new PSU installed which is capable of running the second card and now all runs OK when i have ARMAII in fullscreen.

I used the -winxp command. I didnt get any performance increase but it did help stabilize the game as I dont get any fps drop.

25 to 40 fps at 1680x1050

Everything on high expect I shut off AA.

Would love to run AA, but it just the fps drop to 15 20 in heavy graphic areas. Not impressed but the game stays stable.

What's your specs Rogue?

I installed Win7 x64 on my PC and with -winxp the crossfire is enabled everytime I start up. There's not a alot of improvement though. If I'm in the forrest east of the main insurgent camp in Manhattan I got 21 FPS and if I turned around I got 0.5 FPS with Normal settings and 6k view distance (same as on XP). If I reduced the view distance I got maybe 25 FPS and then it dropped to 10-15 when turning around. Seems to me that there's something funky going on with the stream engine. Why render a ton of stuff I don't see?

Also, when I go to the same spot in editor (just me there) I get 60 FPS (v-sync enabled) and it drops to ~40 when turning. Without crossfire it's ~50 and drops to 30. Everything is set to Normal except videomemory which is high (I have 1GB DDR5 but setting it to very high didn't have any impact). Oh and my resolution is 1680x1050. Anyways, this seems very weird. With a ton of units I don't see (since I'm in the middle of the forrest) the FPS drops to 1/3rd?

In the editor I jumped in a chopper on the NE airstrip and flew around. I get FPS from ~50 down to ~10. It's these drops that really seem to kill it and I suspect it is due to texture loading.

Edit: Btw my HW for those who don't want to backtrack: Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x4890.

Edited by Rekrul

would there be performance decrease if my second PCI is @ x8? or should i avoid crossfire and buy one good GPU or double GPU card?

Double gpu cards are 2 gpus in crossfire x. I can only use one of my 4 gpus in arma 2 (2 hd3870 x2s).

try the new beta ati drivers. it got my 4870&4850 mixed crossfire working today

would there be performance decrease if my second PCI is @ x8? or should i avoid crossfire and buy one good GPU or double GPU card?

What i have seen and experienced(4870x2),there is more trouble than gain from double gpu's.Buy 4890,it's what most ATI users recommend.

Win7 RC1 64 bit, 2 x 4850 512 MB, Steam version of the game

Here are the results of a Fraps benchmark while running the same route in bootcamp

Standard

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

438, 13257, 26, 38, 33.039

With -winxp

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

664, 12901, 30, 61, 51.469

Double gpu cards are 2 gpus in crossfire x. I can only use one of my 4 gpus in arma 2 (2 hd3870 x2s).
then you have a issue!, i get all 4 gpus on my 4870x2's. I use the -winxp flag in vista64, Cat AI has to be on, and crossfire enabled in the CCC. If you dont use the CCC then your CF will not work.

With the new 9.7 catalyst beta drivers and win7 I get crossfire running without -winxp patch and I get better performance than earlier. Havent tried the 9.7 drivers in XP though.

I was just browsing the ATI forums, and one of their moderators claims that there is an ArmA 2 profile, but it requires the winxp switch to work. This would certainly not make sense if these beta drivers suddenly provide better performance and enable crossfire.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=233&threadid=115792

why would it not make sense? he doesnt have the game to test. The ARMA2 profile has been in the catalyst drivers since 9.1?

but was a XP profile...maybe now its Vista/rc7...

I had the problem of the BLOOM effect completely make the game unplayable, and causing 70% graphical data corruption.

Upon finding, and reading this thread I played with the settings that people tried and it worked fine for me.

This is what I did.

Get ATI tray tools, I also have RivaTuner that I run 24/7

Riva tuner sets my GFX's to be under 50C under 100%load

I set the Vsync on always off, change the file quee to 3

Also added -winxp to command line.

set AI to Advanced and my performance boomed from 30FPS/AVG

to over 60FPS/AVG with all Setting on MAX.

This is what I run.

2x HD4850's

Dual Core @3.25GHZ super cooled to 25C

3GB DDR3