Sign in to follow this  
bugkill

Porting ArmA1 addons to ArmA2

Ive put it into the addon folder, and when i go into editor there no CH-47, what am i doing wrong?

Ive put it into the addon folder, and when i go into editor there no CH-47, what am i doing wrong?

is it under BUFOR?

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

post up your config

Under BLUEFOR? In the editor? If you mean that, then yes it was under BLUEFOR. Or do you mean something else in the files or something?

Where's my config too? :S

(Sorry if im a bit newby, new to the game :))

Under BLUEFOR? In the editor? If you mean that, then yes it was under BLUEFOR. Or do you mean something else in the files or something?

Where's my config too? :S

(Sorry if im a bit newby, new to the game :))

try going into bluefor, select usmc faction and choose air. then select the unit.

If its not in there try the CDF Faction.

Ok thanks, ill give it a quick go, ill let you know in a sec :)

---

Went on editor again to try it, and theres no CH-47 in the USMC or the CDF?

Edited by konyo

afraid you will have to wait for the makers of the addon to give prior permission, as there needs to be a few changes internally to the written files within the PBO

Ohhhh ok.. :) Ive heard theres allready one in the making for ArmA 2 allready :)

Thanks for your help though anyway :)

do we need the model.cfg still?

and what are the names for animation parts ie, Tracks wheels etc etc

This about the Chinook? Or something else? lol

Edited by konyo

This about the Chinook? Or something else? lol

some-thing else bud

I can get a few addons from Arma working, but with some there is no sound. I have looked inside the PBO and located the config files. The listed sounds have the same name as those in arma 2, but they dont work. I have tried a few things, trying to get the sounds to work, but no joy. Its probably more complicated than i thought.

An example of a vehical that does this is Tsn Landrover's. Or a plane such as the Avro Vulcan. I have wheeled.pbo in a mod folder with the landrover PBO.

Maybe this isnt the place to get answers?

what format is it in? WSS or wav? or neither

I can get a few addons from Arma working, but with some there is no sound. I have looked inside the PBO and located the config files. The listed sounds have the same name as those in arma 2, but they dont work. I have tried a few things, trying to get the sounds to work, but no joy. Its probably more complicated than i thought.

An example of a vehical that does this is Tsn Landrover's. Or a plane such as the Avro Vulcan. I have wheeled.pbo in a mod folder with the landrover PBO.

I've not opened the Vulcan PBO but I'm guessing it makes reference to a sound file in arma1.

without changing the cfg it can never find the correct file hence no sound.

You have two options,wait for the addon maker to make an arma2 release (from memory I think the vulcan used material without permission from another game)so this might never happen.

or two open the vulcan cfg, rename the sound file to a jet out of arma2 and the vuclan will have a jet sound again, won't sound right but it will better than a silent giant bird.

Southy

It should be stressed a lot of people who made addons for arma1 will be porting forward addons to arma2. I'm sure all our favorites will appear sooner or later.

Arma2 requires a fair bit of tweaking for addons and without any arma2 tools other than rushing so addons might take some time.

A classic example is the Kiowa Warrior I converted from OFP to arma1, in it's basic form it took about 1 hour to get it in game.

Now for arma2 I've already spent upwards of ten hours in the conversion process and I'm probably only half way through, to get everything to look feel right is just taking longer.

Edited by Eble

Thanx for the info, I tried renaming the sound file in the config to something from arma 2, but i cant get it to work. Some of the jets seem to use a number of sounds, and the config files look different. I dont really know what i am doing, so i probly have done it wrong. Hopefully there will be a proper port over of this.

Oh yes I got the Landrover to work in Caa1 with sound, it just started working? But all passengers are seted correctly, just the driver isnt, as he sits about 1.5 m in the air, above where he should be ! Something to fix.

Shame about the vulcan, cos its a great model........

Any recomendations to where i might learn some of this stuff, cos its all trial and error for me. Im sure everyone is a noob at some point to modding, so where is the best place to start ? :j:

guys and girls, I must stress how important it is, before moving the addons across to ensure you either have prior consent to use the addon for ARMA II from either OFP or ARMA I. (edit) or other work which has not been produced by yourself

You are breaching the use of addon if you do this, and we could be in the position UKF/RKSL/Invasion 44' was in Arma I, which was to refuse to release addons until a collect agreement was made by all users not to tamper with the addons.

Please respect our addons in the general community, and rest assured, most popular addons will be ported across to ARMA II. Failure to do so may result in another stand-off similar to the mentioned above.

Therefore, if you want to de-pbo, and play with the addon, usually there's a readme with the addon that has a EULA and a email address of the author.

Contact the addon maker and get permission. This way you've covered your self, to prevent any questions later.

Good luck every-one

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

this also includes, for personal use unless stated otherwise

Edited by SWIFT88

Thats all fair enough, but I would like to mention that when you are new to modding, you know very little. Its the experimentation that can help one understand what has gine into making a mod. By un-packing and tinkering you are just learning from others. If you buy a motor, you will want to play with it right?

Re-publishing something, with content nabbed from others is a nono, and altering something and making it available for others is again not on. Tinkering and keeping stuff for your own use surely shouldnt be discoraged, as there will always be people new to the fold.

Many mods dont come with a readme saying that the content is strictly for arma 1 only, and none state that they are never to be ported into arma 2. If i made a mod, i would be glad that people were eager to port it into arma 2.

In the case of the Vulcan, it was itself nabbed from another game, befor being ported into arma.

Many mods dont come with a readme saying that the content is strictly for arma 1 only, and none state that they are never to be ported into arma 2. If i made a mod, i would be glad that people were eager to port it into arma 2.

That's why we specifically put it into ours (I44). The readme and EULA are extremely limiting, only allowing regular use (playing the mod), which is due to previous experiences, when our handful of limitations for use of the OFP release were largely ignored (whether intentionally or not). It might be unfortunate for people trying to learn addonmaking, but our own rights/interests come first.

Eager to see it ported? Absolutely, but ported by people that are least likely to make a mess of it (= the original creator). People might do a good job, or they might not, and no self-respecting mod/addonmaker wants to see his/their excellent work ruined by someone with less love for/understanding of the project.

If you buy a motor, you will want to play with it right?

If I bought a motor, if you mean the context of playing with it, I wouldnt spend £12,000 on a new car to void the warranty.

I think our point is, as on the forums, how long does it take to compose a letter asking for permission

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Subject Addon Arma 1

Hi, I44_John

Could I edit your Bunker model for use in Arma 2, with a few changes?

Brdgs Swift

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ofcourse Im not showing you how to suck an egg but it obviously didnt take me long to compose that, but I have atleast tried to get prior permission.

With regards to viewing other peoples work. I have done it in the past, I've looked at the ideas involved, but never changed things.

I recommend making your own models but waiting till the addon tools for Arma II are released before trying though, and maybe RKSL_Rock and the community will have tutorials up and running.

We have two subjects going at once here I think mainly because the original question was a bit too obscure.

For your own personal use once you have downloaded an addon you can do what you like etc ‘if’ and that’s a big if it’s for personal use only (subject to what is contained in the readme), this doesn’t mean releasing the addon, sharing it, giving it to a mate or squad mates and the like. If you want to port the Kiowa Warrior to Arma2 for personal use then go ahead.

The main thing to remember is ‘personal use’ over ‘released’ the photographic section of these arma forums is full of amended/adjusted arma addons for personal use, in that the community has no problems, but it does not like/nor will allow other peoples work being re-released without consent/permissions etc.

When Footmunch released the F-16 in Arma1 unbinarized, that allowed me (who had never looked at an addon before) to basically have a look at the guts of an addon, which in turn spawned a fair few OFP to Arma1 conversions, with that info I was able to help quite a few mod teams.

Arma2 is no different, I’d expect at some point most of the addons will be taken apart to ‘see’ how different results were achieved, it’s all about the learning process.

Once people get over the initial basic information requirements, they like me feel better able to ask questions in the modding sections of the forum.

This in turn leads to more addon makers and more mods of different qualities.

Always you should keep in mind the original addon makers, now after having converted quite a few addons I have a much better insight into the time it must have taken to make the originals, many hours of hard work.

This is my own personal opinion and in no way reflects the views of everyone on these forums.

Southy