Sign in to follow this  
Vampire1994

Arma 2 - Female Characters?

Well were at it can we please have children to Shoot playwith play as.. also :D

My thoughts exactly.

Apparently they didn't when they made OFP: Resistance...

Poor Liz...come to think of it we didn't actually see her die, she was just dead.

Why should my sympathy differ just because one of them have a penis and the other don't?

This thinking that men and women are basically the same save for the bodily mechanics misses the differences shaped by millions of years of primate evolution.

In terms of evolutionary biology, there is a fundamental asymmetry between males and females arising from their necessary investment in offspring. The male only has to deposit a small amount of essentially infinitely-available sperm in the female, while the female, who can only give birth a few times in her life, must bear nine months of pregnancy and then raise the child.

This asymmetry gives rise to females carefully choosing their mates, while the male aims to deposit his sperm as widely as possible. Since there is vastly more sperm available than women require, the males must compete for resources. One form of this competition is war.

So you see, war is fundamentally a male thing. Today it's abstracted a bit (with nation-states and whatnot), but you can't get rid of millions of years of evolutionary baggage just like that ;)

Personally,I have no problem with female characters being in ARMA 2,or in shooters for that matter. I understand the arguments against it,but I've played with and against females,and it's problem free for the most part. My sister has played airsoft and paintball with a group of my friends before,and there weren't any problems,there usually aren't. Unless of course bohemia were to go with the classic line of though.(Females + males= sex...... No,it doesn't work that way,I hate it when games do that)Just remember this one quote and you shouldn't have any problems.

"You've got brains,and you've got hormones,which one are you gonna let rule your actions?" By:Uknown

Edited by kiesthegrunt

its good to see that girls play also , i always tought my girlfriend was the only one :)

With most gaming platforms it's kind of a "They exist?!" mentality.:)

Edited by kiesthegrunt

After reading through most of these opinions, I would have no problem with female soldiers in Arma2 which ahead of anything, is fundamentally a game. Thus the inclusion of children as some members have suggested, would more simulate the horrors of war. Having women in a campaign for instance in supportive roles would be a nice addition in realism terms. Having men/women play female soldiers in MP or otherwise, would be just like any other game that has female characters if not less noticeable with distance taken into consideration.

Personally I would not play and find that I had shot a female soldier and feel sorry about it. That would contradict the other 100+ male deaths that came before it. It is a game after all and thankfully only a game as I'd find it too conflicting to raise a weapon to anyone in real life.

lol, I was only asking if there were female characters. Looks like I started a social discussion. The bottom line is that since I am a girl, and I want to play ArmA and feel as if I'm more into 'my own' character in the game, I wanted to have a female character.

I don't want to only be in support roles. I want to be out there in the action with the rest of the guys. If the real military has a problem with that, than I'm thankful this is just a game and it doesn't matter.

I am however, into flying and wouldn't mind piloting for an Attack Helicopter. So I guess, technically, that would be considered a support role, anyway.

I would just love to have a female character. In Arma, men are given the ability to customize their character to their likeness with a wide variaty of voices, face options, and various other thigns.

The male players have the option to customize a character to their likeness; As a female gamer, I would enjoy having the option to customize my in-game character more to myself, as well.

lol, I was only asking if there were female characters. Looks like I started a social discussion. The bottom line is that since I am a girl, and I want to play ArmA and feel as if I'm more into 'my own' character in the game, I wanted to have a female character.

I don't want to only be in support roles. I want to be out there in the action with the rest of the guys. If the real military has a problem with that, than I'm thankful this is just a game and it doesn't matter.

I am however, into flying and wouldn't mind piloting for an Attack Helicopter. So I guess, technically, that would be considered a support role, anyway.

I would just love to have a female character. In Arma, men are given the ability to customize their character to their likeness with a wide variaty of voices, face options, and various other thigns.

The male players have the option to customize a character to their likeness; As a female gamer, I would enjoy having the option to customize my in-game character more to myself, as well.

You did stir up some trouble :yay:

Nice to see someone so interested in a military sim, I wouldn't worry about the character you are playing as, once you get sucked into the game you will completely forget about it!

Hopefully I don't meet you on a server when your in a Hind :D

I can see your argument but adding females in combat roles would just take away the legitimate feeling that the game has. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that facing female frontline soldiers would toy with the immersion of the game for most.

So far we have a total of what, five or six female gamers including friends of friends mentioned. I don't think it warrants adding anims etc to cater for that tiny audience to make it doable for BIS. Not to mention the right wing gaming or general media who would drag it into the news with the intention of giving gaming some more bad press.

I just don't think it lends itself to a milsim. The mod community can take care of it later on if it irks you so much but when it comes to the vanilla game, having a female team member on a marine SF team would just blow the immersion of the game out of the water.

There's a difference between a civilian woman cowering in a corner and a woman in uniform aiming a gun at you. Wouldn't you agree?

Depends. I've met civilian women where the difference was not that obvious :)

Of course the guys who rarely socialize with females starts to flame when a girl post. It's the same when playing online.

OT: Having female soldiers in the game is realistic whatever the macho guys think of it.

The ACE team did a female model for Arma1 that can be seen in this vid:

I think she has a valid question and that people are being unduly rude towards her for it.

There should be female characters, as there are women in the armed forces. The reason they might not have included women, Vampire1994, might have more to do with technical obstacles than anything. They'd have to re-record all of the speech in a woman's voice which could be a bit time consuming.

That's no excuse, though. Hopefully they'll include this in a patch. Chop-chop!

(As a side note, Milsims and FPS style games in general have traditionally been a men's only club. This is changing, statistically, but some developers and players have not opened up to women yet. Be patient, it will happen eventually :))

There's a difference between a civilian woman cowering in a corner and a woman in uniform aiming a gun at you. Wouldn't you agree?

What about a child aiming a gun at you?

What about a child aiming a gun at you?

Shoot the bastard :p

Really, this thread is getting ridiculous. There are plenty of games where you can shoot female characters. Using "I feel uncomfortable shooting a woman" as an excuse just seems weird when you have no problem shooting a man.

In real life it's perfectly normal to be uncomfortable shooting anyone.

The reason shooting a child is 'worse' is mainly because they are younger. That one is understandable.

The fact is that women are not in combat roles as often as men, so if they were represented they should be less common and mainly confined to the same roles as real life.

That's no excuse, though. Hopefully they'll include this in a patch. Chop-chop!

That is very unlikely.

Edited by Maddmatt

strange Discussion :). anyway, wen the new tools are out, i try to modify a, or some Female Characters (have some nice one`s in A2) get working like a Soldier Character for my MOD, may as standalone 2.

greetings HDL

What a fragile sense of immersion and legitimacy some people have.

As for combat animations, they must have some female ones because players can play as civilians and they have female civies, whether they use the same ones as the male characters or not.

Lastly, females in the armed forces are NOT CHILDREN.

It is a ridiculous thread I agree matt. Peoples attitudes tend to change too much if suddenly there is a girl introduced into a predominately male environment.

The other reason shooting children is seen as worse is that they are innocent to any conflict and are incapable of defending themselves for the most part.

I can also imagine that a reason for women staying away from front line work or long patrols is it may distract men unnecessarily and/or the possible negative consequences of being captured.

It is a ridiculous thread I agree matt. Peoples attitudes tend to change too much if suddenly there is a girl introduced into a predominately male environment.

The other reason shooting children is seen as worse is that they are innocent to any conflict and are incapable of defending themselves for the most part.

I can also imagine that a reason for women staying away from front line work or long patrols is it may distract men unnecessarily and/or the possible negative consequences of being captured.

Aye, the next 'thing ya know, these here uppity women folk'll be a tryin' ta vote!

Seriously, the 1950s are over. Women in the front lines of armed conflict is not news anymore and shouldn't be to anyone. If it's "distracting" for you to be around a woman in a work / simulated-work environment, then it's your problem and something you need to deal with.

Women aren't, by nature, any worse soldiers than men.

Aye, the next 'thing ya know, these here uppity women folk'll be a tryin' ta vote!

Seriously, the 1950s are over. Women in the front lines of armed conflict is not news anymore and shouldn't be to anyone. If it's "distracting" for you to be around a woman in a work / simulated-work environment, then it's your problem and something you need to deal with.

Women aren't, by nature, any worse soldiers than men.

You misunderstood. That was what I gathered from loose sources. I never said or thought women were less than men or complete distractions in the workplace. I was more pointing out if there were an enemy who treated female soldiers particularly bad, that may be taken into consideration before putting them into front line roles.

It's debatable as to whether 'by nature' women aren't worse soldiers than men. If you are talking by nature, men have typically been the hunters and warmongers throughout history. Not women. I'm not getting into any sexist bullsh*t here so don't accuse me of such so read more carefully next time.

Of course the guys who rarely socialize with females starts to flame when a girl post. It's the same when playing online.

I think you have that the wrong way around there chief.

Just slap a female face on your MP avatar and viola! Problem solved, there isn't a way to select a female model in MP anyway unless one is added as a playable unit by the editor. I don't see the point in dedicating resources like that to stay PC for maybe 2 or 3 percent of the playerbase.

Ehm.... not really... the only way to customize your character is the face, voice and the glasses. Everything else (clothes, weapons and even gender) depends on the mission maker. So it would be hard to make female characters in the game. The female soldiers must be placed by the mission maker and for every female slot there is a less male slot. If a mission features 10 slots, and five are for man-role and 5 for female thab its possible that just 5 slots are taken by players, because some people dont want to play the opposite gender.

And compare this pic:

http://newsblaze.com/pix/2006/1123/pix/A-Soldier.jpg

http://newsblaze.com/pix/2006/0401/pix/female-soldier.jpg

You dont see a big difference execpt the face, so in arma it would be enough to change your face and the voice to get a quite good female soldier. :yay:

when it comes to the vanilla game, having a female team member on a marine SF team would just blow the immersion of the game out of the water.

Don't take this the wrong way but this seems like it is a very selfish statement to me. How about how I feel with my immersion of the game by NOT being able to choose a female character?

People should think about everyone, not just themselves.

Don't worry. I read every post up to here. This is the one that stuck out most to me :( I'm not mad but it did put a frown on my face.

Immersion.. Immersion for you is to play as a female character. Immersion for some is to have it 'realistic'. Some units dont have females. As an example you playing as a french foreign legion using a female avatar is not realistic, but still maybe immersive for you. So I see Baldman's point.

I dont know much about US marine force recon, but I wouldnt be surpirsed if woman are not allowed there. I dont see a reason for you to frown if someone would think seeing a female force recon would kill the immersion as that is not as in RL. I wouldnt react on the other hand if you play FDF mod as a female as I been running around with females in RL combat exercises. I wouldnt mind if NAPA had some females (if a female avatar would be ingame it would also be easier for mod groups to add females).

In the end it is a game and its up to you and the people you choose to play with, I dont care if there are female force recon running around in a virtual world. But I agree a female force recon sticks out.

:pet5: I just wish my girlfriend was more like you Vampire1994...I would love to have her by my side fighting against the enemy!

Let's hope Arma2 gets patched for the females as I can't see why they can't have a customised body like we have customised faces!