Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Flashlights on the guns?

Never in OFP or Arma has there been any implementation of tactical lights on the guns. While I realize the Army and Marines are mostly using NVGs instead, this isn't quite the same. For once, lights would give you broader field of view, in other contrast/colors.

In Stalker (I know it's not a tactical shooter, but pretty awesome game) the light also adds a lot of atmosphere in otherwise totally dark nights.

So, lets have player-flashlights, the graphics engine obviously can handle vehicle headlights just fine.

Isn't that a bit like holding a "Shoot at this point" neon sign wherever you go?

If you use it indoors, no. If you use it outdoors - might be, might not, depending on the situation. It's not as stealthy as NVGs, but - for example for guerillas and less-well equipped soldiers - it's more realistic.

Maybe on ASG *bling bling* meetings.

There's noone stupid enought to use flashlight beams, cause they're ineffective at the distances bigger than 5meters, and they're threat to the carrier. Poorly equipped soldiers would rather throw a torch toward enemy position instead of being a torch in dark by themselves.

Yeah, I guess all those companies selling tactical flashlights for gun mounting are just stupid, right? After all, you guys here know everthing and no one ever uses those.

Just that nobody told the Marine on this picture (second one) who uses a Surefire light.

http://www.spareammo.com/category/ar-15/

Wait a minute, aren't we modelling Marines in this game? What a coincidence.

A bit less arrogance when commenting other people's ideas might be a good thing.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

There's noone stupid enought to use flashlight beams, cause they're ineffective at the distances bigger than 5meters, and they're threat to the carrier.

Its interesting then that the US Army and Marine Corps and various other armed forces use both visual and IR illuminators almost daily (or should that be nightly...) in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Do a bit of research and you'll find they're actually quite effective out to 30m+ more than enough in an urban environment.

Better to see and be seen, than not to see at all...

IR frequency is out of reach by taliban forces. But flashlights on guns? Srsly, review your source. They're mounted only for special needs, not combat-wise. Yes, they use visual lightning for navigating in dark, but whenever it's safe because it's needed to perform usual tasks. Otherwise, if they use bundled flashlights in firefights, that would mean they deployed very dumb youngsters there.

Mounting a flashlight to a gun is not for combat purpose! (unless you consider searching drawers as combat activity)

Obviously then the Israeli Forces also deploy "very dumb youngsters":

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2498627521_1e74e9f48f.jpg?v=0

Do some legwork and search Google for "Surefire M16" or a similar combo you will find quite a few images of Army guns with flashlights attached, and if we're talking about SpecOps/Law Enforcement you find even more.

Can you provide a photo with someone *USING* that flashlight, especially in firefight my master? It would really help, to have that photo taken _AT NIGHT_.

I can't deny, that having a normal light is handy, and IR-light is even useful in combat. But please, don't say bullshit like this visal light emitter is vital in any combat mode, except blinding at close range suspects in policing (note the difference between police and military)

Edited by sidhellfire

It's a fact that mounted flashlights are quite common, then just let the player decide if and when to use it or not, you can't deny it would be a realistic addition.

But flashlights on guns? Srsly, review your source.

We´ve also used maglites in the miles fitting on the G3 back in the days, especially for checkpoint duty and house-searching.

My source: Reality.

For the G36 there´s a surefire module that´s also used.

Edited by Balschoiw

But flashlights on guns? Srsly, review your source.

My source is active duty Marines and Soldiers, how about you?

We´ve also used brain back in days.

My source are non-active soldiers. (Alive ones)

Before we run towards penis comparison you realise you both are missing something, don't you?

Don't bother checking militaryphotos.net, couldn't find a clue of usage of these.

Let me ask Helmut one thing - would you turn on your magnificent flashlight in night time if you were searching for armed enemy? Would you ever consider turning that shit on if you knew that he's somewhere near in dark?

I don't give a damn on implementing a one big "shoot me" sign, which would be useless anyway, into the game, but just can't stand that moronic statement that they are needed anyhow. And claims, that they're effective on lighting up targets that are 30m away are fantasy stories, or they're lighting up terrorists in safety vests.

The reason you won't find pictures where they are used might be that it's generally hard to take pictures when it's dark (I photograph for military magazines, I should know).

Would you rather walk into a house at night and search for an enemy using a NVG that restricts your FOV down to maybe 60 degrees, as in the game? Or risk the goggles shutting you blind when you step into a room with a light on? Not to mention that the NVGs I have worn were terrible blurry on objects close up.

Obviously these flashlights have their tactical applications, not 300m firefights in the fields, but Arma does simulate a lot more than that. After all in Arma2 we now even have shot guns.

Besides, a most curious observation which is quite regulary found when making game suggestions: Why are people against something that is OPTIONAL? How exactly will it disturb your game if BIS implements the code for some weapons to have flashlights? Will you be forced to use them?

Edited by Helmut_AUT

Because in contrary to most of "I wanna this one, please" players I am aware of fact, that some things are more important, and some are just waste of time, at least at that stage.

I've seen many photos and videos taken at night. None with that silly flashlight mounts. In fact, no one bothers quality when he has an opportunity to record something, that he came for.

You say that it won't take much time. Check then: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/issues and notice that most of things are "easy to implement/fix".

The author of "fast rope" thread also said that it's "easy to implement". Was that anywhere near "needed at all"?

Because in contrary to most of "I wanna this one, please" players I am aware of fact, that some things are more important, and some are just waste of time, at least at that stage.

Since when are you the one to decide things at BIS ?

Just because you are not aware of the useage of flashlights in a combat scenario it doesn´t mean that it´s not there. It is there for multiple useage.

Arma 2 is meant to be a Milsim that covers a variety of scenarios. Modern warfare also includes housesearching and checkpoint duty. Just because you in you holiness do not value this means that we all have to think your way just to please you ?

You know shit of todays combat duties but you tell others that you are the originator of ultimate truth.

Eat it with a spoon: Infantery units DO use Surefire modules on a regular base and it would be a nice addition to have them ingame.

If YOU like that or not is not in anyone´s interest as your military knowlegde seems to be somewhat limited anyway.

Nothing to add for what Balshoiw said. This is a suggestions board, being jumped for suggesting some realistic equipment addons is insane.

BTW, just tested some more of the game - and I could swear that at least some rifles already have the flashlights on the 3d model. Check the camouflaged M4 with holo sight and M203 for example, what's that on it's left side of the barrel?

This is discussion board above all, and I feel right to question suggestions here.

You don't realise, that usage of these is very limited, and consequences of that feature would result in mostly tons of players ruining the MP experience by being a running lantern and beaming up others in group? Your mind capacities seems to be somewhat limited anyway Balschoiw. Go check, if it does work with attachTo command if it does, you've wasted enough time already if not, try to at least convince me I'm wrong.

I for one would love to see the weapons mounted flashlights modeled into arma2 by someone (doesn't necessarily need to be BIS). If you look closely at a lot of pictures of military weapons with mounted illumination devices a good many of them have flip up IR filters installed.

I can tell you from REAL WORLD experience, both military (going on my 12th year of service with 8 of those being USMC Infantry) and civilian Law Enforcement (going on my 13th there) that the light as a tactical option has almost unlimited usage possibilities. With the high powered lighting systems on the market now combined with the IR filters you can dramatically increase your view distance and hence your engagement range at night. And the tactical advantages of blinding/dazzling your opponent at night goes without saying.

Hell, they are even mounting light systems capable of both visible and IR illumination on vehicle mounted weapons systems.

I guess everyone else has it wrong, right?

Your mind capacities seems to be somewhat limited anyway Balschoiw.

Oh...now that you can´t have it your way you resort to flaming ?

How cute.

Skip the rest of your post. It´s nonsense anyway.

Those lights are in use in real life military and they are really widespread and fullfill their role. If you believe that or not is very irrelevant. Maybe you should go and get some realife experiences first and then tell others what is right or wrong.

Your turning from left to right here. First you tell us that noone uses a light in combat operations, when proven wrong you go on ranting about the use for the game and some weird MP - guesses and theories that are totally unrelated to the suggestion and after that you take it to the flaming level.

Grow up, get a life and stop trolling around here.

Pfft. Useless toy in combat. Of course, fact that these are included means that they must be useful... I know it's handy to have one, but seriously?

So, when you'll come up with bayonets and other stuff? Maybe water flasks? They also are included in standard gear. It's same story as slingshot in game - someone has very blurry vision of game concept. You may find this feature cool, but it does not apply to the Arma environment, cause for some misty reason this is simplified to the level which is obviously abstract to you. I would like to notice, that we have flares that are almost not used at all, and they are superior in Arma. Got idea why it should be different now with this silly reflectors?

I'm ok with that IR freq. ones, but isn't that the role of NVG? Waste of time I say. Maybe later.

sidhellfire

Your posts are at best flame baiting.

You are either incredibly narrow minded or are posting to simply wind people up with your "expert opinion".

Consider yourself PR'd for 7 days

If you persist this kind of activity you will have your posting revoked for a great deal longer.

We've got perfectly accurate word for this in my native language - "kolesiostwo".

Won't bother discussing, since no one wants to.