Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

High Command Module

Hi!

I'm setting up hc modules but i cant get this chain of command correctly. I have drawn the command chain. So can some bodey help me?

Comp.jpg

I've tried chain of command before, but commands are not transmitted down the chain in any useful way. I assume that it is not implemented usefully yet.

There isn't any AI at the high command level yet. AI high commanders don't do any high commanding. There are no formations of squads at HC level. Units only have the size marks (say squad) of the unit themselves not of there sub units.

It would be good if units had names that could be displayed on the map view to know which is which.

I have seen the Chain of Command pass commands through AI leaders before, through quite a bit of tricky synchronization (well not tricky if you know the way it's supposed to be done, I suppose, but since the AI is so weird it's hard to tell IMO).

Unfortunately the subordinate groups tend not to give their units the order that the leader received. Thus the group leaders all follow the orders they are given (pretty much clumping together wherever the commander of which they are subordinates was ordered to go). This is mostly useless, but the fact that the units in their groups simply stand around makes it completely useless. I guess in COOP missions this would still be ok.

Or has anybody figured a way of getting AI to work such that a human high commander can usefully give orders to subordinates in a structure similar to that 2 posts above? :P

Had a mission where I tested company size operation.

It is possible if you use team switch between commanders (from company xo who order platoon leaders then switch to platoon leaders to order squad leaders. It would be easier of you have a few human players each can switch from squad leader to platoon leader to give orders to other squad leader.

Not an ideal solution but a decent work around if you are are looking to control large force via HC.

I dont get the issue here?

What are you guys trying to do?

Orders wont go down chain of command?

If you put up the size of unit you want in each HC sub box and set each individual unit to playable you can jump to them if you want to give specific orders like scan horizon or something. Since all are playable you wont lose access to the leader of each unit if one dies as well and as long as they are in formation they will follow your orders in that setup when you jump back to commander.

If you are on smaller operations you should take control of one of your platoon leaders and go into combat yourself.

Dieing as a HC sub isnt a issue because:

HC Commander:

Name: Boss

Init: B1=group this;

Back to Boss Trigger: (Team switch slows down the gameplay I think.)

Repeatable

Con: !alive player;

Act: selectPlayer (leader B1);

Then have a "Game over" trigger for the HC Commander:

Con: !alive boss;

Quick option: End#1

...and its game over if the HC dies.

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

I'm working on some stuff that expands the HC and team switching thing quite alot. It will be good as a demo for mucking around checking for problems, fun and trying out concepts. Can't post demo missions on the forum is that possible?

Description:

This adds a lot of commands to Arma 2 which expand High Command functionality for single player missions. The High Command structures can be created and deleted dynamically after a game has started. Team switching has also been expanded to that all units can be controlled and the battle controlled more fully.

The functionality is accessible from the Communication menu (0-8).

Features:

· Create dynamic hieratic High Command structures in game.

· Team switching within the High Command structure.

· More icon types on the high command bar (Mechanised Infantry and Artillery)

· Squad Management including splitting and merging.

· Switching sides.

· Functions for extracting casualties.

· Statistics on the current battle state and selected unit states.

· Easy to add to missions (baring conflicts on the Communication menu).

· Four example missions and source mission editor files.

Installation:

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead\Missions folder.

It comes with missions as a demo versions. Extract the folders to your ArmA2\other Profiles\Yournick\Missions and load them in the editor.

Notes:

Many of these functions may work for multi player missions, but many would not be suitable in a multi player environment. Team switch able units and High Command are less dynamic in the multi player game environment.

Forgot to mention that basic instructions on how to use it are also included. Will include more detailed instructions on a future version.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14961

Have you found a method for team switching within HC that allows one to regain control of a unit, after it has been involved in a team-switch by the player? If so, could you give us a clue as to how you managed it? The issue has been plaguing some of us for quite a while!

Have you found a method for team switching within HC that allows one to regain control of a unit, after it has been involved in a team-switch by the player? If so, could you give us a clue as to how you managed it? The issue has been plaguing some of us for quite a while!

There is a function that resets units to movable again. Had to implement it in a round about way, but it works well enough in single player missions. Have never tried it in multi palyer ones.

Reset Team Switchable Moveable (0-8-2-1) which calls ResetTeamSwitch.sqf

This will work when the player is a squad commander. It goes through all the team switchable units on the players side and makes them moveable (other than the player).

The team switch functions use the (selectPlayer _unit) arma 2 macro which does not make unit immoble unlike the team switch dailog.

There is a function that resets units to movable again. Had to implement it in a round about way, but it works well enough in single player missions. Have never tried it in multi palyer ones.

Reset Team Switchable Moveable (0-8-2-1) which calls ResetTeamSwitch.sqf

This will work when the player is a squad commander. It goes through all the team switchable units on the players side and makes them moveable (other than the player).

The team switch functions use the (selectPlayer _unit) arma 2 macro which does not make unit immoble unlike the team switch dailog.

Thanks for that, I will have a look as soon as I can spare a few minutes!

Is it possible to deaktivate the markers in highcommand module or marta module ?