Sign in to follow this  
headspace

ArmA 2's Artillery Module

Yep, Beita posted in another thread, tested and seems to work. Put this in the SOM logics init field:

this setVariable ["settings", [[], true, nil, nil, false]];

It looks like you're using groups instead of logics to refer to your artillery batteries, Mixer. Do you have two seperate logics? Because if you are using just one logic, it will treat it as one battery.

I have 2 logics, but when i deleting one of them all artys continies shoot lol. O_o

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS:

I want to make a lone wolf mission where there is an MLRS tank located that I can switch to (by simply switching the player with "t") and then give my lone wolf some artillery support.

I want to start playing as the lone wolf and then if needed switch to the artillery.

BUT the artillery module only works with the player you start as.

Is there any (simple) way to first let me play as the lone wolf and then switch to the artillery module ?

Edited by Armin2

I tried the MLRS artillery missions in the editor that were placed in the biki section as examples of working arty missions using both real and virtual units. Triggering radio command alpha will not do anything for me. It just makes a bleep noise and does absolutely nothing. Now I have played around with all the artillery and MLRS by manual control, so I get the jist of the ranges of this stuff. But I have been unable to get this to work. With or without SOM. Am I supposed to make a separate SQF file and place it in my mission directory or something? I am new to this, and all the steps listed give commands that do absolutely nothing by themselves. I have no idea what to reference to what, and how to put it all into play. I have read all the documentation and logs over and over, and all I see are scripts upon scripts, but no real explanation as to where I am supposed to put it, and how it works with the game modules. The biki just assumes I am supposed to know what they are talking about.

Edit: what do I need to do to make headspace's sample missions actually shoot arty? Can someone please give step by step directions, not just a bunch of commands that do nothing for me when i don't know how to implement them into the game.

Edited by stuguy
querry not specific

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS:

I want to make a lone wolf mission where there is an MLRS tank located that I can switch to (by simply switching the player with "t") and then give my lone wolf some artillery support.

I want to start playing as the lone wolf and then if needed switch to the artillery.

BUT the artillery module only works with the player you start as.

Is there any (simple) way to first let me play as the lone wolf and then switch to the artillery module ?

So you want to physically control the MLRS? If so, this is pretty simple. Place an arty logic, not synchronised to anything. Place your units (Player, MLRS, anything else).

You MUST add an artillery magazine to the MLRS, or you will just blow yourself up whenever you fire. To do this, add this line in the unit's init field in the editor:

this addmagazine "ARTY_12Rnd_227mmHE_M270 "

Now when you switch to the MLRS, choose to reload (to the magazine you added), and open the arty targeting interface. Should be set.

Edited by Baron von Beer

I have 2 logics, but when i deleting one of them all artys continies shoot lol. O_o

With virtual arty all works fine

So you want to physically control the MLRS? If so, this is pretty simple. Place an arty logic, not synchronised to anything. Place your units (Player, MLRS, anything else).

You MUST add an artillery magazine to the MLRS, or you will just blow yourself up whenever you fire. To do this, add this line in the unit's init field in the editor:

this addmagazine "ARTY_12Rnd_227mmHE_M270 "

Now when you switch to the MLRS, choose to reload (to the magazine you added), and open the arty targeting interface. Should be set.

No that doesn't work. I want to switch to the MLRS later while playing. But the logic only works if you start as artillery right from the beginning.

No that doesn't work. I want to switch to the MLRS later while playing. But the logic only works if you start as artillery right from the beginning.

Yes the target artillery is somehow attached to the first unit you play. But you could set up to have your main character at the arty and swap to the mission team.

I've been reading through this thread but sorry even though its great and all it really is missing a very basic step by step lesson on how to make it all work.

Even on the biki it says nothing about putting triggers in it just gives the command line, im pretty new to this and found it very unhelpful that it didn't say it had to be typed into a trigger, i kept putting it in the module.

I've been reading through this thread but sorry even though its great and all it really is missing a very basic step by step lesson on how to make it all work.

Even on the biki it says nothing about putting triggers in it just gives the command line, im pretty new to this and found it very unhelpful that it didn't say it had to be typed into a trigger, i kept putting it in the module.

I 2nd that! My longer complaint is similar, and the Headspace SOM missions don't work for me. The radio just makes a beep. Teleport works however...

That is what the two demo missions are for. Check those out if you are confused about where to put things.

Made a simple demo mission for arty without SOM.

Check here:

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=33437.15

It works good, the SOM dont work when I use it, probely I do somthing wrong.But this is great after many disapotments I coud blow stuff up and i love it. Take this arty mission som script :-P

I will try to learn from both exampels thank you schaefsky:)

I think for us noobs it's best to just save all those examples (artillery, HALO Jump etc.) and then drag and drop it into our own missions when needed.

Is there a way to get the AI to use artillery

Schaefsky's mission works fine, but I'd like the enemy to use the same function (How do i get them to radio in?)

What I mean is that I want the enemy side to use artillery on me.

Edited by Callisto

As far as I know, the AI will not actively use artillery on their own.

A script is needed to get them to use it.

Something as simple as a large Detected by trigger works (I've used it in Arma 1).

You could also make it count the number of detected units so that they don't use artillery on a single troop.

EDIT:

Just made a simple one.

Make a trigger, activated by BLUFOR, click the "Detected by OPFOR" button. In the On activation field put:

[rbatt82, getPosASL (thisList select 0), ['IMMEDIATE', 'HE', 0, 10]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;  

Where rbatt82 is the name of your artillery game logic.

Bingo, enemy artillery that is called on detected BLUFOR.

Edited by beita
Wrong command

beita: That's good, except you want to use a getPosASL instead of getPos. Elevation matters when the firing solution is calculated.

beita: That's good, except you want to use a getPosASL instead of getPos. Elevation matters when the firing solution is calculated.

Ah, yeah, forgot about that!

Well, actually, that doesnt seem to work.

Wish I could provide more information but I really did follow your instructions perfectly as they were provided and nope, the AI doesnt fire. I made sure the enemy was in range of the trigger.

edit. got it to work thanks

beita how can i get the arty to fire within the trigger but in random locations

Edited by Pauld

beita how can i get the arty to fire with in within the trigger but in random locations

That is a bit more complex.

Uhh, maybe make a Game Logic where you want the random arty to start, then (on the server) make some random X and Y offsets and add them to the position that you send in the artillery function call.

Should work ..

basicly what i see is the arty being trggerd and firing but the rounds are falling in the postion where the trigger was activated, what im asking is it possible for the arty to follow that person who triggered it,

how about can i make a virtual arty and have it activated on a trigger?

basicly what i see is the arty being trggerd and firing but the rounds are falling in the postion where the trigger was activated, what im asking is it possible for the arty to follow that person who triggered it,

Ah, well, that's how artillery works ..

What you want is an algorithm for the AI to predict where the enemy is going to move.

Tough stuff to do.

You could use thisList (from the trigger) to fire on the location where AI was spotted.