Sign in to follow this  
headspace

ArmA 2's Artillery Module

Hi there,

I guess I need some help with this module. Using the artillery module I want the enemy AI to fire at the players location. I set up the artillery as described in the bohemia wiki but it doesn't work :( Is this module only working with human players? How do I have to setup the module if I want the AI to bomb an empty area via artillery?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You want to kill the player? ;) Arty is pretty big boom in A2 :D

You want to kill the player? ;) Arty is pretty big boom in A2 :D

Maybe, but mainly I want to shock them. ;) I've got a small landing sequence which needs some pimp. AAVs coming out of the water deploying troops at the beach, soldiers clearing enemy mines at beach, several enemy corpses and barricade stuff from the mission before ... but ... I'd like to let the AI defend theirselve via artillery. If that means killing the player, so be it :D

Legislator: Set the artillery up as described in the biki. Put a trigger on the beach where the AAV's show up. In the activation field of the trigger, put the call to BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission.

Ok please lets start from the beginning because my head starts to hurt right now. I know there have to be some arrays. Somehow I'll have to start with:

_heTemplate = [“IMMEDIATEâ€, “HEâ€, 0, 15];

There is no hint in the biki where I should put this. Does this have to be in the init.sqf, an external script or in a trigger?

Legislator,

If it helps Xeno uses an ARTI in his ARMA2 Mission (co50_AirCavA2.Chernarus.pbo), download that and have a look at how it did it. Hope that helps.

I see no new artillery being used in that mission? Where is it? ;)

@Legislator: If playability and scaryness is your deal, you should have a look at my Dominatrix version of Xenos scripts. The enemy there will use all kinds of (scripted, not the new ones obviously) artillery based on situations. They will even use illumination harrasement missions, causing NVGs to become a problem, using low delivery altitudes, behind themselves :) Also, in order not to become too insane for the player, the enemy FDC is kind enough to always use adjustment, very inaccurate adjustment. So, before the main rounds arrive, you have a chance of getting away. If you're hurt or pinned down, well, you might have a problem :)

Can't help you with the new system though.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

@CarlGustaffa:

The AirCav artillery is not the A2 module artillery.

Somehow the AI artillery isn't working :( For test purposes I activate the enemy artillery via radio triger: [Art1, test, ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0.5, 15]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

Art1 = Artillery Module (but I tried Art1 as the Podnos groupleader as well), synchronized to the Podnos groupleader

test = me, the player

That's in the arma2.rpt

Error in expression <], true] call BIS_ARTY_F_NetRun;

if ((count _targetPos) == 2) then {

_targetPo>

Error position: <count _targetPos) == 2) then {

_targetPo>

Error count: Typ Objekt, erwartet Array,Config entry

File ca\modules\ARTY\data\scripts\ARTY_ExecuteMission.sqf, line 73

Legislator: It's not working because the second parameter is a position, not an object. You need to do getPosASL test if test is an object.

Thanks for the hint. I've changed it to [Art1, getPosASL test, ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0.5, 15]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

No ArmA2.rpt entries so far, but no artillery impacts as well. I've waited more than 1 minute for the impacts. The Podnos launchers are around 200 metres away from the beach by the way. Too close?

Are the mortars firing? You can physically aim straight up with the mortars and kill yourself with the rounds (did this with the USMC 81mm), the AI has a ~20m circle around them where they can't fire though.

Set yourself next to the mortars and then call the fire mission, if the mortars shoot, the rounds are very likely to land. Wait longer I guess?

They aren't firing at all :( I placed them somewhere else on Utes but they didn't fire again. I used the Virtual Artillery instead - no success.

I downloaded the Artillery Test Miision with Sec OP Command and since its hard to get that stuff self working i just wanted to copy the mission and use the artilliery support.The Problem is that u get secundary missions all the time from the Sec OP Logic and i cant find where that is written in a script/editor..maybe someone can help so that u can only use the artillery support without the secoundary mission request stuff...

Thats how the mission.sqm looks

http://rapidshare.com/files/243833455/mission.sqm.html

,i did it by myself just watching on the bohemia arti mission.Just cant find what makes u have to request the missions like"search the insurgents" and stuff..

Help would be much appreciated:confused:!thx

Edited by Himmelsfeuer

I did it!!! :yay::yay::yay:

Now if you want some Podnos firing at a certain location try it this way:

1. Place a group of Podnos static launchers, make one groupleader
  2. Place the Artillery Modul and call it AriLogicName, synchronize it to the Podnos groupleader
  3. Place a trigger and let him executed a script: [TargetArea] exec "scripts\artillery.sqs";
  4. Create the artillery.sqs (see below for code)

artillery.sqs

_target = _this select 0;
_heTemplate = ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0, 15];
_targetpos = getposASL _target;

[AriLogicName, _targetpos, _heTemplate] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

Exit

Now if you want to change the target, simply change the way you call the script. For example: [NewTarget] exec "scripts\artillery.sqs";

The script is in the folder "scripts" which I created for my mission. Of course the sqs file can be whereever you want it.

Ah, now that you mention it, you might be able to get the same results with a single line thing from a trigger too.

In this code:

[Art1, getPosASL test, ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0.5, 15]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission; 

Change the double quotes to single quotes,

[Art1, getPosASL test, ['IMMEDIATE', 'HE', 0.5, 15]] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission; 

And presto! It works for some reason. Sending strings to functions (at least this function) needs to be done with single quotes. Double-double quotes ("" "") might work too ...

i set up arti with a few cannons. but when i call it the cannons do nothing but they say shot over and rounds complete even though i've been watching them just sitting there. the intrusctions i followed where those on BIS wiki.

I've been reading through this thread but sorry even though its great and all it really is missing a very basic step by step lesson on how to make it all work.

Even on the biki it says nothing about putting triggers in it just gives the command line, im pretty new to this and found it very unhelpful that it didn't say it had to be typed into a trigger, i kept putting it in the module.

you must be using virtual artillery then not the canons.

What new types of demo mission would you guys want to demonstrate how to do things? I'm open to suggestions.

Update: The wiki page now has some functions and scope variables documented.

I would like to see a demo mission setup without SOM but whith SOM's bells and whistles (radio messages, point and click...) :)

It seems to me that by using the SecOps Manager you only get a single artillery strike, even when using the 'adjust fire' strike (which makes it pretty pointless, since you don't get to adjust anything...). Is there a simple way to get strikes as long as the battery has ammo?

I think it would be a good idea to add the line to the artillery biki how to disable SecOps in the SOM module for the people that only want to use SOM to get the artillery request interface.

I've got a request/question:

Would it be possible to put the exact min/max ranges of each artillery piece on the biki or this thread?

Would be helpful when planning out missions.