• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic
Headspace
Headspace

Corporal

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 22:37 #1

Information on how to make missions using the Artillery Module can now be found on this page.

Enjoy.

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 21:39 #2

So here's the scoop:

I'm trying to set up a direct fire mission, and have a script put together as follows

_myBattery = _this select 0
_targetUnit = _this select 1

_WPBarrage = [“IMMEDIATE”, “WP”, 1, 10];

_targetPos = getPosASL _targetUnit;

[_myBattery, _targetPos, _WPBarrage] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

hint format ["%1, %2, %3",_Targetpos, _myBattery, _targetUnit]

Exit

In game I have a vehicle that I am using as the target referenced _targetUnit
An artillery game logic referenced _myBattery, which is synched to the group leader of four US mortars with the WP magazine added

and the whole thing is triggered by a radio trigger.

And it doesn't work :confused:

Any ideas? It's my first script since the old OFP days so things may be rusty

EDIT: On top of that, if I use the line:
[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[_myBattery, [3]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

(where _myBattery references the leader of the mortar team, not the game logic) (tried that and it didn't work), it tells me the location is outside the firing envelope no matter where I click on the map.

Edited by DaveP, 01 June 2009 - 21:57.

Headspace
Headspace

Corporal

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 21:52 #3

DaveP: The script looks fine but your target may not be in range. How far away is it?

EDIT: You need to reference the Artillery Module game logic.

Edited by Headspace, 01 June 2009 - 22:14.

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 21:58 #4

DaveP: The script looks fine but your target may not be in range. How far away is it?

I've tried within 500m, I've tried a km away; I've tried distances that the system lets me target using the manual aiming system, but for some reason the AI is playing dumb on it.

(Of course, all this said, the Game logic system is a great idea and the effects are great, especially for the WP rounds)

EDIT: It seems the only solace I have is using the virtual artillery system generated by SOM

[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

It works perfectly. Not exactly what I'm after, though.

Edited by DaveP, 01 June 2009 - 22:06.

Headspace
Headspace

Corporal

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 22:14 #5

(where _myBattery references the leader of the mortar team, not the game logic)

Just noticed this. You have to reference the Artillery Module game logic.

Try this, too:
[["artillery_barrage"], player, [[_myBattery, [1,3,4,7,8,9]]]] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;
That will let you use the SOM method with your battery.

EgWal
EgWal

Private First Class

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 22:25 #6

Could somebody please post a simple mission with arty that can be opened in the editor. Despite the documentation Im unable to get it to work.

Cougar
Cougar

Spare Time Helper

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 22:44 #7

Could somebody please post a simple mission with arty that can be opened in the editor. Despite the documentation Im unable to get it to work.

I 2nd that :S

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 22:48 #8

Just noticed this. You have to reference the Artillery Module game logic.

Aye, I had it referencing the game logic in the script originally; I just need to remember to use different names for stuff when I'm using it in different places, lazy me :rolleyes:

petteerr
petteerr

Private First Class

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 23:19 #9

Headspace,

Could you please post a mission showing us how to use at least virtual artillery?I have tried to use it as your tutorial but i cant make it!

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 23:31 #10

Headspace,

Could you please post a mission showing us how to use at least virtual artillery?I have tried to use it as your tutorial but i cant make it!

Using Virtual Artillery through SOM is easy, just make a trigger with a few seconds to activate (to make sure it activates after the SOM package) and then on activation put in:

Then just set up SecOps the usual way (make the Secondary Ops GL, then sync it to the player)

and that's it! Contact SecOps and you'll have one artillery strike available

warpuppy
warpuppy

Sergeant

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 23:49 #11

@Dave P

Hi Mate can you explain a little more in detail please mate

Many thanks in advance

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 00:13 #12

Make a player unit

Make the SOM Game Logic Unit, synch that to the player

Make a trigger that's activated by Radio Alpha and set to be repeatable (if you want multiple strikes available), then in the on activation field of the trigger put in:

Then when you want the artillery, go to the map and trigger radio alpha, then use the communication commands to contact SecOps and request the support

petteerr
petteerr

Private First Class

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 00:31 #13

DaveP,
Thanks for the info,for me it worked,but it would be very usefull if sometime we could have a mission(tutorial) with virtual and real artillery explained!!! i was wondering can AI have artillery support? :)

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:23 #14

DaveP,
Thanks for the info,for me it worked,but it would be very usefull if sometime we could have a mission(tutorial) with virtual and real artillery explained!!! i was wondering can AI have artillery support? :)

You could set up triggered fire missions, I think the counterattack sp mission does this; as to them using it on the fly, I believe there was a script package for Arma or OFP that simulated this, can't remember.

warpuppy
warpuppy

Sergeant

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:11 #15

@DaveP

Many thanks for that mate most appreciated!

Man this just gets better and better every minute

EiZei_
EiZei_

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:22 #16

Couple of questions:

Has anyone managed to make the arty module work with rocket launcher artillery yet? I tried replacing the ammo but Grads and MLRSses won't even budge when I try to initiate a fire mission. Mortars work just fine.

Is there a way to add more dispersion besides fudging up the target coordinates themselves?

DaveP
DaveP

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:24 #17

Couple of questions:

Has anyone managed to make the arty module work with rocket launcher artillery yet? I tried replacing the ammo but Grads and MLRSses won't even budge when I try to initiate a fire mission. Mortars work just fine.

Main thing I've noticed about the rocket launchers is they have a really long minimum range, could be why.

I tried rewriting my script again today, no dice yet again :confused:

Headspace
Headspace

Corporal

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 16:26 #18

Some demo missions are now located at http://community.bis...xample_Missions. This should answer (most) of the questions that have come up, and are within the scope of the biki documentation.

mr.g-c
mr.g-c

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2381 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 16:29 #19

Some demo missions are now located at http://community.bis...xample_Missions. This should answer (most) of the questions that have come up, and are within the scope of the biki documentation.

Excellent Work!
So, you think BIS Arty is "close" to CoC Unified Artillery?
Do you think i can be modified in future?
thanks!
Marek Spanel: [...] Every single element is well taught so that it fits together. So this is a significant change, because with ArmA 1 it was just random, really.
We made some units because we had to. There wasn't much passion from our side with the first ArmA, to be honest. This time it's different. (Videogamer.com Interview:)

Please BIS: Arma2 must become a TRUE MASTERPIECE - Not a middle-heavy catastrophe!

binkowski
binkowski

cranky old vet

• Members
  • 3441 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 16:35 #20

Thanks Headspace! And yes, I have to agree mr.g-c this reminds me of CoC Unified Artillery. Pretty similar with radio commands etc etc.
Spoiler
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
A3: SP Revenge!, SP Infantry