Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam: The Experience - final alpha

I'm really happy how the PMC Search and Rescue 1 mission turned out, very very simple yet tons of fun and still a challenge. There is few features I need to add to it, like user selectable viewdistance, disable map/radio from the downed pilot so we/he cant "cheat"... oh and perhaps try to make PvP version out of it, dunno though how to balance it, so that the NVA/VC has any chance of finding the pilot. If we cant spot the burning wreckage easily with fast movers, how would you imagine finding it by foot/car :)

The NVA Assault mission was bit broken, CAS console didn't work and the respawn location was overrun by enemies. Right now both of those issues are fixed... CAS console works with VTE aircrafts (including B52 carpet bombing which is insane) and respawn location is moved far back, if the base is overrun. Therefore the mission changes a bit if enemies get through as players now must proceed from couple of hundred meters out back to the center of the base. There is also random chance of some pauses on the enemy waves, so it doesnt feel so overwhelming systematical assault. Nothing more unnerving than waiting for the next wave to begin.

As for the multiplayer event in Saturday May 23rd, I'm hoping to get few more "quick" and large player friendly missions done. I think in such big event (if its going to be big, who knows) there is not much room for 6 hour SEAL team six man mission... we need "instant" action with tens of playable slots available. This does not mean that the evening will be filled with quake missions, oh dear God never... but I definitely wont be forcing people to play one mission for several hours especially if there is people trying to join and there is only like less than ten player slots.

Personally I really looking forward to see the landing zone assault mission (PMC Defend LZ) when its fully manned with human players, nothing like having 4 hueys come to the LZ and 4 x 9 men jumping out of them to fight the NVA/VC forces :)

i finished my mission longest day in vietnam 1.2.

3 maps are playable on wich the mission feels absolutely different on each of them.

the maps are parrots beak singletrees, ashau , quahnbin singletrees.

parrot beek is a flat ricepaddies map wich let u have intense firefights on plain view.

ashau is a huge mountains map and u get the claustrophobic nam jungle feeling while moving to ur objectives.

quahnbin is also a ricepaddies map but smaller than parrots beak therefore fast action and the objectives are close to each other, not too close though but close enough to move on foot if a heli is lost.

they are in 2 versions as 10 players slots or as 20 player slots.

i removed the gunship on the 10 player coop but will leave it on the 20 coop to give the teamleader more tactical freedom in large scale assaults.

if u want to give them a try just tell me :)

Did you include the new weapons in the alpha such as the 90mm launcher (way better than the law) or some smg's?

any chances to add villas weapon into ur mod snakeman?

im a bit disapointed by the m14 as there are some very nice modeled m14 out there, best are from vilas weapon addon as i use them sometimes when i play vte in sp.

has very nice iron sights while in vte they are in a too early stage as to enjoy playing them.

give it a try pls:)

i finished my mission longest day in vietnam 1.2.

3 maps are playable on wich the mission feels absolutely different on each of them.

Good work.
if u want to give them a try just tell me
Of course, I'll catch up with you on your server, we'll go through them all so I can leech them into my MPMissionsCache dir.
Did you include the new weapons in the alpha such as the 90mm launcher (way better than the law) or some smg's?
Yes I added your M67v.
any chances to add villas weapon into ur mod snakeman?
No.

The mission was fantastic tonight. Some good teamwork, even with some language barrier complications. I did almost all the flying, and I didn't crash once!

Some screenshots:

vte_online_03.jpg

vte_online_04.jpg

vte_online_05.jpg

vte_online_06.jpg

Cheers

vte_online_07.jpg

vte_online_08.jpg

The last 2 don't really show the magnitude of what we were up against. The place was swarming with V.C and the three of us (Horror, Take and I) had only pistols after crossing a river.

I managed to killed a 2 man guard and take an AK. I hid behind a berm and by popping up, firing, then moving down the berm towards the right flank I killed off ~30 enemy soldiers. I held the right flank until I had defended the attack. Only when I crossed the paddy in front of me to revive Take and Horror, was I finally shot and we failed the mission.

The only real problem with this mission is the revive system. I think there should be a timer - If you don't get revived in 5 minutes, then you respawn at base.

hello alphadelta, it was awsome to play with u tonight.

you was an awsome good sl and i was biting me in my own ass cause i couldnt use my mic as im used to do it, cause my soundcard or my mic is broken dunno exactly wich.

it was an amazing good experience to play with u from thailand and take from japan:)

unfortunately u left when the server get filled with 10 ppl (max on my server as it would blow up beyond that).

we had very good fights and lots of revivings.

The only real problem with this mission is the revive system. I think there should be a timer - If you don't get revived in 5 minutes, then you respawn at base.

oh there is a good option to avoid that problem as blitzcraig did many times after u disconected.

if u r killed and u dont expect anyone to revive u , just reconect as u would do when u want to choose another soldierclass, u spawn at the base and u can start from there.

the only prob is that ur progress and kills are zeroed but in my opinion this doesnt matter much as we are all playing just to be brothers in arms not to have a evo style arcade feeling :)

if u see that nobody is near to save u, just reconnect and choose same class or another and u spawn at base and than u can save ur comrades.:)

thats why i aked u to reconect quick cause i couldnt do it as host, cause the mission would finish if i would try to disconect and reconect.

however it was an amazing good lead and i apreciate much ur hard work to hold back this rambo dude to not kill himself every 30 seconds :)

it was a pleasure to fight and die with u guys.

cya next time.

ps: very good screenshots even if i look a bit fat on one of them but its ok :)

Reconnecting just to respawn seems a bit rediculous to me..It will also put extra strain on the server having people reconnect all the time. In Domination revive you have the option to either be revived, or wait 300 seconds and respawn at base. It's a very good system.

Yeah they were good games. I'll be on again tonight for the big one.

you was an awsome good sl and i was biting me in my own ass cause i couldnt use my mic as im used to do it, cause my soundcard or my mic is broken dunno exactly wich.

Almost definitely your mic, they're generally cheap and poorly made pieces of equipment. Do you have a mic/headphone jack on the front of the case to try?.

Thanks for the compliment about being sl. Now if only Rambo, sorry Kilmer, had listened!! :P

I have a request. Could you at some point release the template for your mission. I don't mean the template of object locations, but rather the scripts and coding for things like the helicopter extraction/revive. It would make it really simple then to change the objectives, build new target locations etc and produce more similar missions.

Cheers

Edited by Alphadelta

MISSION DOWNLOAD : http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebpbny

delta_sweep_01.jpg

Delta Sweep - NAVY SEALS (co-op 24 players/revive):

You are part of a SEAL Platoon operating in a river delta in Southern Vietnam. Your base of operations is an ARVN HQ at the mouth of the delta.

Use the PBR patrol boats to move up the delta from objective to objective.

If you wish to return to base, use the radio to order the assigned helicopter for your squad, to fly your position. When everyone has boarded the helicopter, use the radio to tell it to return to to base.

Note: This is a revive mission with on call HELIVAC. It works in Co-op and single player.

• Eliminate the V.C Patrols in this sector.
  • Attack V.C Mortar positions on this hill.
  • Destroy the three enemy hooches at the dock here.
  • Execute an NVA and a V.C officer at the village here.
  • Destroy the enemy artillery in this town.
  • Use this clearing to Ambush re-inforcements coming from the North East.
  • Defend Fire-Base Zulu against enemy wave attacks.
  • Destroy the NVA AAA emplacements on either end of the bridge located here.
  • Clear the paddy fields in this sector.
  • Ambush an NVA column at the village located here.

OVERVIEW:

delta_sweep_02top.jpg

delta_sweep_02bottom.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Alphadelta

can i ask did you play my rolling thunder missions 1 and 2 how did they play
As seen on the ingame screenshot, yes we played the first one. I can't recall much problems.
Where is the class name list of units?
Sorry I haven't had time to add them yet, will try to get there quickly. Please remind me if day(s) go by without them appearing there.
MISSION DOWNLOAD

Delta Sweep - NAVY SEALS (co-op 24 players/revive):

Thanks, added to PMC Tactical server.

hello snakeman, i changed some very important things in my mission "longest day in vietnam" and now they are final and way better playable as before, i made 2 significant changes :

1. i added respawn option at base when ALL players are killed, so the mission continues even if all get killed.

this was needed cause after playing one day 4 hours in my mission with 10 ppl on my server, i did an idiotic mistake as a pilot with heli and i killed all 10 teammates and destroyed the great experience we had until that dumb mistake and the mission ended.

that was very frustrating for all of us cause we almost beat all vc and left out just 3 more objectives to finish the mission:(

now if that happens the mission continues and u get a respawn option at us base, but only if ALL are dead so u still have to revive ur teammates when someone is alive and the good feeling with revive option and dangerous rescue operations remains.

now u can play it even all alone, as i did many times while testing and listening to dave rabbit cause u can simple respawn at base when u get killed as long there is no other player alive in server, so watch out for afk guys.

2. i added lbs and ambulance m113 to all 3 suplly points and added a few helis at base.

i have 3 versions on 3 diferent maps.

on every map you get an absolute different experience as some are mostly flat with ricepaddys and others are mountenious junglemaps.

1. version is named "co10 longest day in vietnam REVIVE".

i removed the added music of it and have only the hanoi short propaganda broadcasts in it, as u said its not needed to add another single song when u have already so many good vietnam era songs in it.

so dl should be short now.

2. version is "co20 longest day in vietnam REVIVE", this is for 20 players and the difference is, that this version has a gunship at us base in it.

3. version and my personal choice when ever i play is "co 10 Longest day in vietnam Dave Rabbit"

this is the same version as the co10 REVIVE but it has 1 hour of live broadcast from 1971, from legendary radio host Dave Rabitt, who was running a pirate radiostation in saigon for only 21 days from 1.1.1971 to 21.1.1971 but it got a legend.

more info about Dave Rabbit here :http://www.ibiblio.org/jwsnyder/rft/rft.html

thats why this file is 8,5 mb big but in my opinion and most of the ppl opinions who played it when i was hosting, its absolute worth it.

i wish i could add the whole 3 hours program but this would make it more than 20 mbs big and i doubt that anybody would really dl the mission :)

i would release them at armaholics, so interested players could simply dl them instead of dl while conecting to the server, but i have no idea how to do that.

if u r interested to add my final missions in ur pmc server, pls let me know how i can send them to you or just connect when im hosting and dl the 3 maps and versions.

i recomend to delete all of my old files as the final missions have lots of improvements over the old ones and the older cost just hd space:)

cheers

Edited by horror1

hey snakeman , i saw u released a apache heli for arma 2 , so can we expect you to port vte to arma 2 also ???

that would be awsome mate as arma 2 is such a big improvement over arma1, it would be awsome to play ur mod with all the great improvements there :yay::yay::yay:

if u r interested to add my final missions in ur pmc server, pls let me know how i can send them to you
I decided on the multiplayer evening event that as VTE features those (cant remember) 30 or so music tracks, there is no need to add custom music to MP missions of excessive sizes, so therefore I wont be adding your missions as they are way way too large. If you squeeze the sound files to decent sizes (less than lets say a megabyte), then I can add them in.
i saw u released a apache heli for arma 2 , so can we expect you to port vte to arma 2 also ?
This is ArmA (1) area, its inappropriate to discuss other games here... :D

there is no need to add custom music to MP missions of excessive sizes, so therefore I wont be adding your missions as they are way way too large.

as i said already, i removed the custom music in the 2 versions co10 REVIVE and co20 REVIVE.

now they are very small. :D

Can you please rar up the latest versions of your missions without sound files and sent to me, I'd like to add then to our server. Thanks.

hello snakeman i sent the mission as rar to your email address.

cheers .

edit : lol im really sorry but forgot to pbo the missions, can u do this pls or tell me if u want me to send them again as pbos. :eek:

Edited by horror1

hmm cant find the pmc server for days, are u all testing hopefully arma2 things ? :)

edit: ok i just found out that my filter was wrong:)

Edited by horror1

PMC Tactical VTE server is up and ready for missions.

I've been working some terrains, experimenting something with the satellite mask/textures, nothing satisfactory yet but now I have the technical know how to bring VTE terrains into satellite age.

Also tweaked few models that still had shadows even they should not have.

btw im still asking myself why u name ur release a alpha when its the most complete vietnam mod availlable at the time.

comparing this with the unsung mod alpha shows diference like day and night.

perhaps ppl regret to even dl this mod because they may think its just a broken experiment while in fact ur mod is the best vietnam game ive ever played.

pls give the ppl a chance to discover ur mod and name it exactly what it is : vietnam:the experience

a alpha implies that the mod has almost nothing but a early release experiment while in fact it is an awsome build.

u did an awsome job , show it to the public in a proud way.

just my 2 cents :D