Well, it's like MadDogX described. It's "special" compared to a "point on map & clic for magic arty to kill your ennemies" system in that :
- there is a real artillery gun that can be disabled (nothing new compared to Warfare, there) and placed at will by field ops
- Artillery has range limitation (is it the case in warfare?)
- Engineering class of the opposite faction can put up anti-artillery turrets to protect a zone from artillery fire.
- you have to lock with your laser marker for a certain amount of time. Meaning you must go in the front and act as FAC, you can't stay in the back and get it working with impunity. Tbh, I've seen the same in public Warfare in ArmA with FAC directing arty and air fire, but I also liked ETQW version.
- artillery are of several types, there's 1 specific "anti-vehicle" artillery (not really artillery in this case, but ET:QW is not really realistic settings
), firing a salvo of rockets spaced by few seconds each, which will follow your laser designator, meaning you can redirect the rocket in-flight. You can also lock the rocket targets on moving vehicles and don't bother aiming afterwards (kind of like the Hellfire LOAL mode)
The fact that ennemy can counter you and protect his most important assets kind of enhance teamplay (in fact, ETQW is full of gameplay done like that).
You can in turn counter the counter with different methods, ofc. Violator/Airstrike are amongst these methods (not blocked by anti artillery turrets)
Well, don't get me started on QuakeWars, I could go on and on for hours
Edited by whisper, 15 May 2009 - 13:42.