Photo
- - - - -

New Forums: Feedback thread - Bugs/Suggestions here please.

• Please log in to reply
904 replies to this topic

#1 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

We're getting bugs/suggestions posted to a number of different threads so I'll start this one and close the others.

Post here all feedback you want about the new forums, what's not working like the old ones, what seems completely broken, what you'd like to see changed or whatever, if you can keep to some kind of easy to read format that'd be great but I won't force you, ideally something like:

Usability: not enough characters available for signatures
Usability: cannot search for 3 letter things like PBO/WGL

Those two I already fixed this morning.
  • Kydoimos likes this
Welcome to Associate Producer Matt Lightfoot as new Forum/Community/Moderating lead, he should be contacted for all related matters now, not me!

#2 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

I will be going through the three threads I just closed to try to pick out things to fix/change as much as possible, but no harm in repetition :)
Welcome to Associate Producer Matt Lightfoot as new Forum/Community/Moderating lead, he should be contacted for all related matters now, not me!

#3 Sickboy

Sickboy

Colonel

• Members
  • 9946 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

What search-type is vBulletin set to? Built-in vBulletin search or MySQL full-text search?
I'm asking because IIRC the MySQL full-text search was much better performing (lower load, faster results);
possibly interesting esp considering the huge amount of members, who now love to use the search :D

Thanks for pimping up the form-sizes btw ;)

Ps; if you would like a ticket/issue tracker for these forums for free, over at http://dev-heaven.net to ease the pains of tracking issues/feedback etc; let me know :P
(Example; http://dev-heaven.ne...s/heaven/issues)
Otherwise, I can recommend http://www.vbulletin...res_project.php (Could be a really great extension to these forums; tracking your websites/forum feedback/issues, aswell as games, maybe?)

Edited by Sickboy, 14 April 2009 - 10:29 AM.

#4 sk3pt

sk3pt

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

Perhaps another color for the icon next to the sticky threads ?

#5 MehMan

MehMan

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3243 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

A quick reply that's always on, one that works like a reply, just that I don't have to click any other buttons besides post.
Click here
Spoiler

#6 mr.g-c

mr.g-c

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2381 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

bug: I can't select a own avatar anymore....
Marek Spanel: [...] Every single element is well taught so that it fits together. So this is a significant change, because with ArmA 1 it was just random, really.
We made some units because we had to. There wasn't much passion from our side with the first ArmA, to be honest. This time it's different. (Videogamer.com Interview:)

Please BIS: Arma2 must become a TRUE MASTERPIECE - Not a middle-heavy catastrophe!

#7 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

What search-type is vBulletin set to? Built-in vBulletin search or MySQL full-text search?
I'm asking because IIRC the MySQL full-text search was much better performing (lower load, faster results);
possibly interesting esp considering the huge amount of members, who now love to use the search :D

Your forum is currently using the Fulltext search engine.

So one would assume that means it's using the "good one" :)

Ps; if you would like a ticket/issue tracker for these forums for free, over at http://dev-heaven.net to ease the pains of tracking issues/feedback etc; let me know :P
(Example; http://dev-heaven.ne...s/heaven/issues)
Otherwise, I can recommend http://www.vbulletin...res_project.php (Could be a really great extension to these forums; tracking your websites/forum feedback/issues, aswell as games, maybe?)

I'll look into that :)

#8 Kegetys

Kegetys

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

Is there some settings for the "new posts" feature behaviour? Currently it for some reason only displays a few threads for me, all only from today. On another forum which is also based on same vBulletin version it always displays 500 last posted threads, with a 'The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.' separator after a few of them. The old ikonboard one also properly displayed threads from a longer period.
Posted Image

#9 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

bug: I can't select a own avatar anymore....

Yeah it seems there's currently no way to allow avatars from external sites whilst disallowing avatars from this server, it's all or nothing, needs further exploration.

BTW if I don't reply to a specific comment/suggestion/feedback it doesn't mean your comment is 1. being ignore 2. considered unworthy, will get to all in time :)

MehMan & sk3pt both good suggestions thanks :)

#10 echo1

echo1

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4272 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for fixing the front page to show the last post in the games section! :)

#11 bravo 6

bravo 6

ArmAIII/OFP Fan

• Members
  • 4499 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

yes, thanks.

It starting to look like the old forums aittle bit more, at least it starts to feel like the old ones. Merci!

Step by step it will be the ultimate generation forum :D

Edit: Some Suggestions:

could the forum have more empty, open space on the left and right sides of the screen? (like the old forum)
it gives a more organized and less complex feeling on the visual. I say this because for the extreme users of the forum could be less tiring if the central layer was more compact then it is. (like old forum)
another thing that i believe it would help for visual simplicity: the topic font name's size could be a bit bigger to distinguish more from the rest (like the old forums)
Example:
BI NEWS,
BI GENERAL,
ARMA 2,
ARMA: ARMED ASSAULT / COMBAT OPERATIONS, and so on should have bigger font size
Thanks for adding the "Mark Forums Read" link in the bottom. Would be better is the link was positioned in the bottom of the page like old times. Would be easier "mechanically" to click it :P
I also think the "Forum Contains New Posts" icon should be more distinguishable and more visible, so people wouldn't have to force their sight.
One thing that i liked in the old forum was that if you would add several spaces, it would count them, in this new one if you add 10 spaces in order to align things, it won't add more then 1.
Also the Moderators have the same color from the rest of us on the bottom list.. Would be good if the moderators and developers have different colors, but i guess this will be changed obviously.

Edited by bravo 6, 14 April 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#12 Sickboy

Sickboy

Colonel

• Members
  • 9946 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

Your forum is currently using the Fulltext search engine.

So one would assume that means it's using the "good one" :)

I'll look into that :)

Cheers for the reply Placebo. Sounds good!
Can't say thanks enough btw... WYSYWIG & Generally vBulletin :inlove::icon_dj: :thumb:

Ooh something just came to mind; How about "Custom User Titles" ? When enabled; might save you guys from requests and action of adding / modifying user titles?

Edited by Sickboy, 14 April 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#13 WhoCares

WhoCares

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1517 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

The czech sub-forum is missing. It is still there, http://forums.bistud...display.php?f=5, but it is not linked from the main menu.
Not that I'd speak/read a word of czech...
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.
But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Niels Bohr

i7 920 @3.7GHz, OCZ 3x2GB DDR3 7-7-7 1600 @740/1480MHz, MSI X58 Pro-E,
Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB @1020/1200MHz, Creative X-Fi Music, Windows 7 Home Premium
640GB WD Caviar Blue and 250GB Samsung SATA2 HDDs, 1xSATA DVD RW, 1x IDE DVD ROM
Antec 750W (3.3V+5V 170W max., 4x12V 25A, with 62A max. combined), A+case CS-188AF
Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152, Logitech G5 Refresh Mouse, Cherry CyMotion Expert Keyboard

#14 Messiah

Messiah

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4951 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Avatars - my old avatar of 91kb is apparently too large? I assume the 100kb rule hasn't changed?

#15 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

Avatars - my old avatar of 91kb is apparently too large? I assume the 100kb rule hasn't changed?

Unfortunately until we can figure out Avatars being hosted externally (something Vbulletin does not allow itself) there is a limit of 10kb per avatar I believe, obviously we want it to be the same as the old forums, 100kb limit and uploaded to some other server like imageshack or such, so we have to track down a Vbulletin mod/hack which allows this to be set :)

#16 bravo 6

bravo 6

ArmAIII/OFP Fan

• Members
  • 4499 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

You mean as in the previous custom title you had on the old forums?

yup. It gives a different fun of things :D
edit: anyway, i never understood if users could change them as they want.. there were some users that had different text in it.

edit: removed text.

#17 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

Well if people remind me what their user title used to be in here I can certainly add them in again :)

#18 bravo 6

bravo 6

ArmAIII/OFP Fan

• Members
  • 4499 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

I see.. ok thanks for the extra :)

I know its a nitpick small detail, but i was just curious what can be done about the starts that existed on old forum. Did we lose the stars? :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

edit: ok Placebo, feel free to delete this post :)

#19 Placebo

Placebo

Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

I see.. ok thanks for the extra :)

I know its a nitpick small detail, but i was just curious what can be done about the starts that existed on old forum. Did we lose the stars? :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

They will be brought back most likely, along with the numerous other small fixes that need bring back, this is discussed in the other thread I linked to, please continue there as this thread is purely for name changing issues.

#20 SWAT_BigBear

SWAT_BigBear

SWAT IGG

• Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

We use vBullentin also,
damned if I can find where/how to put a "back to top" link in, like the old forums here had.
Anyone?
I ask b/c I want it back here also.
Cya in the CrossHairs Kill Zone!

Spoiler