Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

EricM Hind Pack BETA1

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]- You may NOT use this in VBS2.

Not that i have VBS2.. exactly how are you gonna make sure that its not used in VBS2

By asking people of good conscience not to use it.  Most decent people usually accept other people's wishes.  Those that don't fall into the "selfish arrogant dick head" category. wink_o.gif

The auto cargo doors and landing gear is something i would rather control with the action menu since i like having control over these things, somehow i like the extra interaction but this is just an opinion.

I know a few people wanted this but honestly I see it as an acceptable compromise so the AI can use it easily.

I would second that. I would prefer to have myself the control over the landing gear and the cargo doors. It was something already bothering me on the KA50, always lowering gear when just hovering low to prepare next popup attack.

Have given this a whirl: It's extremely good. Well done to both EricM and RKSL.

biggrin_o.gif

The auto cargo doors and landing gear is something i would rather control with the action menu since i like having control over these things, somehow i like the extra interaction but this is just an opinion.

I know a few people wanted this but honestly I see it as an acceptable compromise so the AI can use it easily.

I would second that. I would prefer to have myself the control over the landing gear and the cargo doors. It was something already bothering me on the KA50, always lowering gear when just hovering low to prepare next popup attack.

I guess that should be optional wink_o.gif not everybody really need such "action menu spam", especially those who don't have USB joystick xD autoretracting gear keeps my mind concentrated on other tasks, f. e. ArmA "autorotation" with keys & mouse is a pure nightmare. However, if it's do-able, it should be done as an external addon disabling this automation and adding manual gear operation.

Not that i have VBS2.. exactly how are you gonna make sure that its not used in VBS2

By asking people of good conscience not to use it. Most decent people usually accept other people's wishes. Those that don't fall into the "selfish arrogant dick head" category. wink_o.gif

So what you say is you cant stop ppl from beeing assholes..

Would <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">requiredVersion = 1.14; be a stick in the wheel for VBS2 users, just to delay them? I mean, one cant really stop them from using it, but one could make it harder for them..

rofl.gif

Anywho interesting story abt this chopper..

Using SLX i set up a 4 man USMC team vs Mi24 on schmallfelden.

Oure group and kit.

Squad leader

Fireteam leader

AA soldier

Soldier

Stinger tripod and a HMMWV

Mi24 flys in the distance, my AA soldier shoots at the Mi24, Mi24 eats the stinger and heads over at oure pos. I get in as gunner in the Stinger tripod, shoots one stinger and hitting, Mi24 passes over and i cant get a clear shot...

In the mean time the AI's are screaming GUNSHIP!! tosses there weapons and RUNS away!

How the hell can they get scared like that biggrin_o.gif very funny tho.

Btw nice detail with the wheel dampers activating the doors. Thats out of the box thinking thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Got another issue:

When palcing a empty helo in editor the sound of a chopper

is in the background...

*cough* Bug Tracker!

Wait, is this the addon that comes with a free hooker?

I guess that should be optional wink_o.gif not everybody really need such "action menu spam", especially those who don't have USB joystick xD autoretracting gear keeps my mind concentrated on other tasks, f. e. ArmA "autorotation" with keys & mouse is a pure nightmare. However, if it's do-able, it should be done as an external addon disabling this automation and adding manual gear operation.

The reply about a.i. ease of use convinced me, thats why the OPF Kamov had static gear and the Arma one is like this.

Its a small thing not worth complicating things further smile_o.gif .

I really enjoyed flying this Hind-   wink_o.gif  it makes good manovers and shows the ability of a good attack helicopter. The 1 ArmA Hind from RHS always says that

'burst/' is not a class ('displayName' accessed)

so I tryed to find the error - but I had no chances - so I had to delete it.

You made an amazing gear animation - it looks real.

I noticed a small bug - the modern version has no FFAR rockets. (Peanuts)

But the model seems very different from other hinds to me:

- The canopy is very big

http://airgroup2000.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12122/Korica03.jpg

in the real hind there is no real big space. If you correct this - the chopper would be nearly perfect.

Here are some Mi24 hind drawnings - if you not already have them

http://airgroup2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223170&start=45

My rating 4,5 from 5 - and that is perfect for an BETA version. smile_o.gif Keep up the great work!

finally, after coming home an hour ago and doing a little of flight testing: really outstanding work!!

the fm is a pleasure to fly, and the model and textures are in general very detailed. i escpecially like the pit with hud, and the working dampers are cool!

on the negative side i miss support for 6thsense tracers, and am not convinced by the damage textures. i still think that sakura's damage-texture replacement looks better than anything else. textures inside the troop-compartment also could use a little higher resolution, and as pointed out before the "glare" effect is a little overdone imo.

i have off course no real experience with the volume of engine-sounds inside a cockpit, but a little less dampened sound would be cool. i have to test this again, but it seemed quiter than the BIS AH-1 oder KA-50 to me.

but at the end it all comes down to flyability, and the fm of this hind is so good that no matter what, i will fly it a lot.

again: great work!

By asking people of good conscience not to use it.  Most decent people usually accept other people's wishes.  Those that don't fall into the "selfish arrogant dick head" category. wink_o.gif

So what you say is you cant stop ppl from beeing assholes..  

Would <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">requiredVersion = 1.14;

be a stick in the wheel for VBS2 users, just to delay them?  I mean, one cant really stop them from using it, but one could make it harder for them..

rofl.gif  

quote]

Thanks for the work guys, looking forward to trying this out.

RavenDK - why would you even bring that up, what point does it serve?

rock !! that chopper roxs wink_o.gif really like it. fun in cockpit with

trackir, looking on working instruments. wounderful.

really good to fly and handle. really cool.

only thing, but i read that already. i also dont like automatic doors and wheels. but any other ... inlove.gif

greetz

themaster

Guest RKSL-Rock

I guess that should be optional wink_o.gif not everybody really need such "action menu spam", especially those who don't have USB joystick xD autoretracting gear keeps my mind concentrated on other tasks, f. e. ArmA "autorotation" with keys & mouse is a pure nightmare.  However, if it's do-able, it should be done as an external addon disabling this automation and adding manual gear operation.

OK in an attempt to explain the automatic gear issue:

I don’t think you all appreciate exactly how much of a problem making helicopters with “manual gear†is.  First of all I assume you all want something that works like a plane?  Nice little action menu that allows you to drop and retract gears just like a harrier.  Well here’s lies the problem.  The way that BIS setup the animation sources on helicopters you do not have that ability.  The animations use the same “gear†source as the planes.  But in a “helicopter class†they don’t function in the same way.  They are fully automatic by default. No action menu options at all.

So to make a manual gear system you need to write a script to do it.   Now this isn’t a problem, well not really it’s just a bit of faffing to rewrite the model.cfg and define some custom animation sources. Now the awkward bit comes when you want to get the AI to use it.  They cant.  So you now need to write a looping script to check who’s in the aircraft, either player or AI. If it the player then it doesn’t need to do anything.  Just keep checking.  If its an AI then you need to check for altitude and speed, set a condition that will then raise the gear and a further one that will lower it when its low and slow enough…

Its not possible to make “an external addon disabling this automation†To make a manual system you would need to make a special version of the models, one with a customised model.cfg and config to provide the appropriate animation sources.  You’d also need the scripts etc. Somthign that i really dont have the time or scripting skill to do myself. if someone else would like to try the models will be made available in MLOD format once we've killed the last few bugs off.

Now you have to remember that looping scripts are “badâ€.  They add lag desync and all sort sof other MP problems.  Personally I don’t mind the auto gear.  The AI can use the helo effectively and there are no MP compatibility issues.  I don’t think it’s a bad compromise.

I guess that should be optional wink_o.gif not everybody really need such "action menu spam", especially those who don't have USB joystick xD autoretracting gear keeps my mind concentrated on other tasks, f. e. ArmA "autorotation" with keys & mouse is a pure nightmare.  However, if it's do-able, it should be done as an external addon disabling this automation and adding manual gear operation.

OK in an attempt to explain the automatic gear issue:

I don’t think you all appreciate exactly how much of a problem making helicopters with “manual gear†is.  First of all I assume you all want something that works like a plane?  Nice little action menu that allows you to drop and retract gears just like a harrier.  Well here’s lies the problem.  The way that BIS setup the animation sources on helicopters you do not have that ability.  The animations use the same “gear†source as the planes.  But in a “helicopter class†they don’t function in the same way.  They are fully automatic by default. No action menu options at all.

So to make a manual gear system you need to write a script to do it.   Now this isn’t a problem, well not really it’s just a bit of faffing to rewrite the model.cfg and define some custom animation sources. Now the awkward bit comes when you want to get the AI to use it.  They cant.  So you now need to write a looping script to check who’s in the aircraft, either player or AI. If it the player then it doesn’t need to do anything.  Just keep checking.  If its an AI then you need to check for altitude and speed, set a condition that will then raise the gear and a further one that will lower it when its low and slow enough…

Its not possible to make “an external addon disabling this automation†To make a manual system you would need to make a special version of the models, one with a customised model.cfg and config to provide the appropriate animation sources.  You’d also need the scripts etc. Somthign that i really dont have the time or scripting skill to do myself.  if someone else would like to try the models will be made available in MLOD format once we've killed the last few bugs off.

Now you have to remember that looping scripts are “badâ€.  They add lag desync and all sort sof other MP problems.  Personally I don’t mind the auto gear.  The AI can use the helo effectively and there are no MP compatibility issues.  I don’t think it’s a bad compromise.

That's what I was afraid of, while it probably won't hurt me as much as Heatseeker...

In FFUR times I was working on synchronising Ka-52 and Mi-24 gear automats smile_o.gif I fully agree scripting gears back is not worth it in ArmA xD

Hmm i tested this, very good is smile_o.gif

but few thing needs to be fixed or do better:

1. flying model is good ,but why max speed of this hind is only 270km/h?  huh.gif  What i know , hind flys normal speed 250-270km/h a max is speed is 335km/h , can u pls make in next version fly faster?

2. make better script to open those doors like in Scars hind

3. i think light on this hind too much isn't it? , lower the light

4. SLA is skin is really good ,but on back wheres yellow warning , there's a skin bug

5. On rotor and nose "arrow" , those wires are using alpha channel , if u using some rvmat on this it looks not nice , this can be easy fixed by removing rvmat to use

6. Better sounds , some new sound to cannons and some those doors and gear too

That's all for now tounge2.gif

EricM and RockofSL Well Done thumbs-up.gif

I registered in the bug traker, but then i thought this was too minor to report there.

As you are probably aware the tracers for the cannons are the default ones. Will you be using Sickboys tracers for the next version.

Excellent addon. Two thumbs up thumbs-up.gif

1. flying model is good ,but why max speed of this hind is only 270km/h?  huh.gif  What i know , hind flys normal speed 250-270km/h a max is speed is 335km/h , can u pls make in next version fly faster?

Because you risk damage to the helicopter. THat is the max speed, the speed the helicopter can reach in perfect weather conditions, no wind, no weapons, probably only half a tank of gas. It will go up to that speed, but maintaining it might be dangerous.

As it is, all helicopters in ArmA are in a way going too fast, the max speed is just a speed it can reach in some conditions, but will rarely get up to that speed most other times. It's like the speed counter on your car, the specifiactions say top speed 220 km/h, but most people won't reach that speed.

So I say no, no need to make the Mi-24 faster, it's quite realistic as it is right now.

Jep - I agree fully to the previous speed post. The Hind had to make a spped record - so the helicopter was modyfied to get into the book of records.

The hind was unarmed, weight reduced. The gas turbines were toggled to maximum power - and besides to maximum fuel consumption.

For an combat ready Hind 270 km/h are Ok. About 300 km/h when flown "empty".

Guest RKSL-Rock

<a href="http://downloads.rkslstudios.info//EricM/EricM_Hind_topspeed.jpg" target="_blank"> Actually I have no problem getting +300 kph  If anything its too fast already I’m with Mehman on this.

</a>

2. make better script to open those doors like in Scars hind

If someone want to make one once the MLODs are released Its perfectly possible.

3. i think light on this hind too much isn't it? , lower the light

Which light?

4. SLA is skin is really good ,but on back wheres yellow warning , there's a skin bug

Take a screenshot and post it on the bug tracker and we’ll look at it.

5. On rotor and nose "arrow" , those wires are using alpha channel , if u using some rvmat on this it looks not nice , this can be easy fixed by removing rvmat to use

LOL there is no RVMAT on those parts.  It’s the alpha channel layering screwing up.  If you report it on the bugtracker we’ll take a look.

6. Better sounds , some new sound to cannons and some those doors and gear too

That's all for now tounge2.gif

The sound is the BIS Mi-24 sound.  The gun the BIS Cobras gun sound etc.  Again if someone wants to change things after the full release they can, Im no good at sound editing.

…

As you are probably aware the tracers for the cannons are the default ones. Will you be using Sickboys tracers for the next version.

Yeah sorry about that I forgot to add support for them. That will be sorted in the main release.

Bugs:

0ac3fdbf8592.jpg

Mi-24 amored cockpits and titanium rotor head able to withstand 20-mm cannon hits. Bulletproof glass can withstand 12.7mm ammo hits. It's a flying tank not cobra.

- Too low speed.

- Too weak armor.

- Does not fire at infantry and vehicles.

16c210b7d21e.jpg

Bug:

http://i037.radikal.ru/0806/1e/0ac3fdbf8592.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Armored cockpits and titanium rotor head able to withstand 20-mm cannon hits.

Bulletproof glass - 12.7mm ammo hits.

How many 5.45 rounds did you fire at it before it did that?

ArmA's damage system isn't complex enough to allow a single 12.7mm penetrate the glass, where several 5.45 round simply crack it without entering the cockpit. You have to make a compromise somewhere.

Even so, if the glass breaks after only one or two AK rounds, I'm sure the armour value could be upped a bit.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Bug:

[mg]http://i037.radikal.ru/0806/1e/0ac3fdbf8592.jpg[/img]

Quote[/b] ]Armored cockpits and titanium rotor head able to withstand 20-mm cannon hits.

Bulletproof glass - 12.7mm ammo hits.

Not a bug, ArmA's damage system limitations.  While the glass may look damaged you still can't shoot the crew...so at best we just need to rework the glass damage textures.

Thank you for this nice SLA Hind preview!

Will you add gunner voices like "Cannon" and "Missiles"?

Is it possible that AI can fire some rocket salvos in final release? I had only placed 2 Hinds vs. 2 group of Abrams all they did was firing AT-2/AT-6. AI somehow refused to use rockets.

Cockpit light could be lower (or with option on/off).