Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Visitor 3 Quick Tutorial

There is a part missing in the tutorial, how to uninstall Visitor 3.

I uninstalled it, but the "P" logical drive still there, and i really don't know where i should delete this logical drive in Windows XP biggrin_o.gif

help.gif

BOINK:

Trying to follow this guid step by step but MAAAAN:

In the install process it said creating drive P:....

I cant find any Drive P: in myPC

crazy_o.gif

Running Win VISTA 32 SP1

MY Fault.... banghead.gif

yay.gif Found it...

OMG i starting to be angry. I have a 16 bit png heightmap, with correct pbl, import to visitor- > nothing happens. Why can't this ... give me just an error message? WHY??? Then how can i find out what is the problem?

because it must be 24bit instead 16bit.

try it and you will pass that phase.

do i need to make a SATMAP in order to make a small location that wont utilize an island area just a small fighting area for ground battle.

Everytime I import my terrain into Visitor, it doesn't show up until I figured out I had to select "Show Shadows" and that's not in the tutorial. When I try to go into Bulldozer it says the Shaders are not Valid (Mismatch of exe and data?)

Ok, followed tutorial to

Quote[/b] ]#Step 9: Okay, now you would probably want to view your terrain in the engine, if you go to Project--> Connect to Buldozer you should start up Buldozer

Now i get error http://img200.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56113_error_122_73lo.JPG and after that another error saying Shaders not valid (mismatch of exe and data?)

Any ideas?

Have you installed the tools on the default directories, or did you set them to custom?

Do you have the newest version of the tools?

LINK

I think the link in this tutorial is an older version.

Just a quick question. I have this pbo file called radar.pbo. Has quite nice some oil objects in it like refinery etc. (queens gambit??).

I see them fine in visitor when i place them at either the p:\ or at the p:\ca dictory. But both give me the message cannot find ...radar\....p3d. So all objects are gone ingame.

Where should i correct that? Should i define the addon in the config or i simply missed out on the correct location?

you can not just place a p3d in P:\ or P:\ca\ and use it in game.. (this way you are changing paths and will not work)

Note: i advise you to have your map in P:\yourmap\ and not P:\ca\yourmap\

The p3d must be or in Bis original folder path to be correctly loaded, or it must be inside your map directory with the right paths (textures etc), then you need to binarize your map with the p3d inside aswell to be able to see it ingame.

If you know where the p3d file is, call it from visitor, but from the Original path (P:\ca\buildings\ or what ever original path is)

If its QG and you want to use it in your map you can load the p3d in visitor but you will require QG for it, other wise you might and possibly have issues.

Tx for fast respons mate! smile_o.gif

Few facts here:

Watkins itself is not in the p:\ca but in the p:\ directory. So its same as advice.

I dont want to directly select a p3d but that is how visitor works right. We can also go p:\ca\buildings and select an object there.

All i want to know is how do you then get the queens gambit objects selected and working in game? Where i need put to see it ingame? There is a pbo called radar. I did unpbo it and put the radar dir in p:\ and in p:\ca. Any of the objects called there work in visitor but dont show up ingame.

I have queens gambit installed ofcourse. Lol was no queens gambit:P

Got put in wrong direction by our mod, it has it in 6th-queensgambit dir but that one seems no longer in use. So it could never find the radar.pbo. Its needs be placed in P:\

Okay, I have a similar problem. I have custom made objects (buildings, veg, stuff etc.). Now the only way V3 will accept these objects for placement is if I place the folders containing the objects in the CA folder in the P: drive. So to see it ingame I've been modifying the ca pbo by adding my custom objects.

Do I edit the ca/config.bin  to redirect the ca/mystuff/*.* path to Arma/@myaddons/ mod folder. I'm sure there is a simple solution that I'm missing.

Okay I chkd the config.bin it's not in there. I noticed in the BI objects pbos the config.bin,

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgPatches {

class CARocks {

units[] = {};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.1;

requiredAddons[] = {};

};

};

Is the CARocks part of this?

Figured it out you just have to change the preferences in V3 from p:/ca to p:. And place your addons in the root

Hi,

I have a Visitor crash at the step "importation of satellite+mask". I did the operation using bis sample island (using my config files+mymask+my sat png) and it works well, I can use this 256x256 map but it too small for me. I suppose the problem lies in the pre-configuration of my map parameters :

- terrain grid size : 2048

- terrain cell size 25

- texture layers base at 50

my elevation png is 2048 as my mask and sat png.

Importation of elevation is OK, it just crashed when importing mask and sat.

Do anyone could give me some hint to solve the problem and advance in my work ?

Is there a kind of "size rules" for map (for exemple if you grid size is 2048, your satmap must be > or < at 1024, a kind of convertion board to respect to avoid crash)

here's a link with my files :

here (30mb)

Thanks

by avance

(ofpd) Remo

www.ofpd.org

for producing height maps...works like a charm..

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=27052

get the DEM using GoogleEarth addon.

open it with MicroDeM

Select the area.

You can select a Sub-Area

save it as 16-bit .PGM or grayscale TIF

You can overlay it to GoogleEarth again to get the exact Satellite Pic of teh sub-area you selected.

Open with GIMP

Resize and save and PNG

Adjust the .PBL

there you go...

Hey guys!

This may be a unusual question (and there is no pun intended to anyone) but is there someone who knows how to put in the Sat and Mask into the map, because I encountered some of your problems, but I am getting too confused, like how did you fix the Crashing when you tried to import the Sat? I am a newb in these stuff and an explanation for a new guy would be very apreciated.

Thank you! smile_o.gif

UPDATE: All I asked is to summarise it lol  huh.gif

Here's a pic:

error-1.jpg

This happens when I try to import that SAT and the MASK.

Any tips and tricks to get the satellite mask overlay the terrain?

somehow visitor shrinks and puts the island too far left, so the actual satellite map goes on center.

ie. i have terrain file 512x512 and sat/mask 1024 what settings is prefered for this files?

i found a soultion for almost all the causes to crash win importing sat+mask

you must have the sat+mask pictures in 8bit fromat for some reason photoshop save them as 16bit so to change them to 8bit go to image mod and choose 8bit instead of 16 bit (would be better if Opteryx add this to the first page so no more questions )

I've been following this and another similar tutorial and reached the part on exporting the map for use in Arma. Map works great within bulldozer but when loaded into Arma, I don't get any textures and an rvmat error. I'm guessing it's because most of the rvmat's are still linking to the PNGs and not the PAAs sat/mask maps.

What's the way to fix this? And sorry for the probably lame question. Just been filtering through these threads for a few good hours.

TC, rvmats linking to PNGs shouldn't cause that, are you sure your PBO has the data/layers folder with the sat raster in it? You could have forgotten to specify that in Visitor so when you import the sat raster ends up by default on your P: root, so.. when you compile your PBO you the sat raster isn't included.

Go to Tools->Project preferences, and in the Folder - Textures box specify your path, eg. mymap\data\

Then you'll get a folder called layers where your raster data is stored. Of course, could be something completely else wrong too...