Sign in to follow this  
-FF-Faust

Modeling in 3DsMAX

hi, i have problem with objects sizes.

In 3DsMAX i have created box 1m long, but when i import this box to oxygen 2 , this box is very small,its not 1 m long !

can somebody tell me what is the relation between units in 3DsMAX and oxygen?

...and 2nd question: when are you modeling, is it important to convert object to editable mesh? cuz editable poly have much more functions and its easier to modeling, so i alwasy use editable poly

thx 4 answers, Faust

Oxygen has SCALE box when importing. Set to 1:1000 by default.

You need to quad the mesh before import.

The mesh will get triangulated when loaded in the game anyway, so some people preffer to import triangulated mesh so they can check the result before.

thx panda[PL], i found out where was problem, in 3DsMax i cant use metric units but generic units which are default

..and in importing window in O2 , there are also frames set to 0-100, does it mean that i can import animation from 3D max?

Faust @ Sep. 11 2007,16:02)]thx panda[PL], i found out where was problem, in 3DsMax i cant use metric units but generic units which are default

..and in importing window in O2 , there are also frames set to 0-100, does it mean that i can import animation from 3D max?

here is how i get perfectly scaled models.

Before you model in 3d max open Customize -> Units Setup

There select "Metric", and in dropdown menu select "Meters", don't click OK yet, instead click on "System Unit Setup", and there you will see system unit scale. I have my set as "1 Unit = 1.0 Meters".

In O2, when you import select scale 1:1. After this your model will be properly scaled.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing the same thing,.

ok,next problem is that after importing my model to oxygen 2, some selections are flipped, here is pic:

felicia.JPG

where is problem? what should i do before importing model to O2?

First check it in bulldozer. If it's not ok there then try to reset XForm. Also, attach all the model into one part.

before do the 3DS export.. unlink all objetcs.. reset Xform.. redo links... and export.

it's work.

try with 3DSMax 6 and 8

Utilities -> Reset XForm.

The tab is in the same line as modify and create.

here is how i get perfectly scaled models.

Before you model in 3d max open Customize -> Units Setup

There select "Metric", and in dropdown menu select "Meters", don't click OK yet, instead click on "System Unit Setup", and there you will see system unit scale. I have my set as "1 Unit = 1.0 Meters".

In O2, when you import select scale 1:1. After this your model will be properly scaled.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing the same thing,.

Hello,

I am modeling in 3DS Max 2016, and attempting to import into Bohemia Object Builder.

I made my units in units setup to be Metric, in meters.  But when importing into Object Builder, I get a model that is roughly 20 times too small.

When I go the other way, and import a 1 by 1 by 1 meter box into Max, I get a box that is about .25 meters inside Max, it comes in at about 1/4th the size.

I followed the instructions I quoted above, and made a 1 x 1 x 1 meter box in Max, exported it as a .3ds file, and imported into Object Builder, and the box came in even smaller, almost microscopic.  It reduced the size of the models, rather than enlarging them to their proper scale.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here, or if there is a comprehensive guide as to how to setup units for 3DS Max when importing into Object Builder?

make sure you set your 3ds max system units in meters as well, not only the display units.

make sure you set your 3ds max system units in meters as well, not only the display units.

Hi PuFu,

Yep, I definitely have System Unit Setup as 1 Unit = 1.0 Meters.  When I changed it to this, that's when the box started showing up as significantly smaller when imported into Object Builder.

use a reset xform before export maybe? not sure...