Sign in to follow this  
FallenPaladin

Your favourite war movie

Hi,

The list of options is heavily slanted towards films with a 20th century theme, neglecting the war movies depicting earlier times like for instance Zulu. From those listed above I voted for Platoon, though I would rate the BBC series Warriors, which Xawery already mentioned, higher.

Regards,

Sander

One interesting aspect of Warriors is the cast. Ioan Gruffudd (Black Hawk Down), Matthew Macfadyen (Spooks) and Damian Lewis (of Band of Brothers fame)... Great stuff smile_o.gif

Talvisota. It feels more 'real' than most other war movies I've seen throughout the years. If you haven't seen it yet, then do so ASAP. It's in Finnish, but it comes with English subtitles so no problemo.

Indeed its very rare and nobody knows about it here plus even if it is a serie, Band of Brothers I enjoyed every second of it. There are many more good ones out there.

Hmm

1. Red Dawn

2. Black Hawk Down

3. Band of Brother Series

The Odd Angry Shot...Cool Australian movie about SASR in Vietnam.

I also like

Cross of Iron

Kokoda

And ANZACS it's a TV series but it's one of the few WW1 TV shows/movies out there.

hmm...

1. Apocalyse Now (Although it has to be the redux edition, much better than the original IMHO)

2. Platoon

3. This bizare film i saw late one night on BBC 2, set in the yugoslavian conflict, where a soldier from each side of the conflict gets stuck in a bunker together, knowing that if they kill one another, they'll be killed by the enemy bunkers overlooking this one. Great film indeed, just cant remember the name.

Not a film but a long series of 1hour40minute long episode type things.

Sharpe

Awesome program, got the dvd box set with them all.

Yeah, Sharpe was enjoyable at times, mostly thanks to Sean Bean. Still, you can't expect to cram a complete novel into a single episode without cutting corners. I thought the books were far superior to the tv series.

Blackhawk down all they way hard to find a more realistic movie.

But the best of all is a serie Band of Brothers yay.gif

It gotta be Starwars tounge2.gif

Nah, really... It must be th following:

BoB, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Top Gun (not really a war movie, but what the heck).

All time fav is Das Boot, can´t watch it dozens of times like FMJ but that´s beause of the disturbing feeling it has to it, FMJ is actually entertaining in comparsion.

Follow ups are other classics like A bridge too far, The longest day, Steiner EK1, All quiet on the Western front, Battel of Britain and another movie where some HJ´s are sent to defend a bridge from the upcoming allied invasion troops, of course to no avail..unfortunately forgot the title..

Stalingrad, BoB, FMJ, Platoon and others are very good too, but i like the older movies more.

edit:

I voted for TRL, but I can remember some more great war movies:

Die Bruecke (aka The Bridge) in the version of 1959

Yes, I know "Die Brücke", I`ve seen it in school. A few kids defending a stupid small bridge on the end of WW2.

Old but very good indeed!

Hey, that´s the movie i forgot the name of, thanks guys thumbs-up.gif

edit2:

3. This bizare film i saw late one night on BBC 2, set in the yugoslavian conflict, where a soldier from each side of the conflict gets stuck in a bunker together, knowing that if they kill one another, they'll be killed by the enemy bunkers overlooking this one. Great film indeed, just cant remember the name.

No Mans Land, great movie aswell thumbs-up.gif

thanks Burns... was really annoying me as to the name of the movie - it was completely by chance that i stumbled across it, but it turned out to be an excellent film smile_o.gif

All Quiet on the Western Front

(1930), won an Oscar back then. It is not an exclusive Film that I am proud to know about. All of you should at least have read the book or watched the film. Its realy a piece of common knowledge by now!

Im_Westen_nichts_Neues-2.jpg

Spielberg stole a lot from this one

Good find Albert. I have the 1979 version in my DVD collection, but it was rather poor in my opinion, despite it having some good actors. I will try to acquire the 1930 version.

Still, it would be nice if someone would direct a version with actual german actors... This is such a universal story of the horrors of war - timeless in every aspect. Such stories need to be told to balance the 'Pearl Harbour' crap.

While we're talking WWI films, has anyone seen Kubrick's Paths of Glory?

Platoon's the best of the options given. but I consider these even better:

FMJ, Hamburger Hill, M*A*S*H, Were Eagles Dare, Das Boot and Gettysburg (only 4hrs goodnight.gif)

All Quiet on the Western Front

I got that one aswell. Quite an interesting movie.

Damn, this is a tough question. It would be easier if you divided the movies into categories according to conflict and branch. And even then you would need to name your top-3.  tounge2.gif

But at the moment, it's Apocalypse Now Redux,

Hmm, probably my top 3 are

1. Full Metal Jacket

2. Black Hawk Down

3. Where Eagles Dare

lots left out :-

battle of britian

bridge too far (i guess thats bridge at arnham re-named)

dam busters

kellys heroes biggrin_o.gif

forest gump biggrin_o.gif

das boot "the boat" - which is probably the best and most accurate war movie ever made

and many many more.