Photo
- - - - -

Can you make an ArmA or OFP2 mod for Crysis?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic
Kevlar2007
Kevlar2007

Sergeant

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 18:11

Imagine the realistic game play of ArmA on this Game Engine!!

EA's CRYSIS using the Cryengine 2

It even has ......GET THIS...A FULLY MODELED ISLAND they made for the game....

http://www.gametrail...ayer/22195.html
http://www.gametrail...ayer/22212.html
http://www.gametrail...ayer/22238.html

PHYSICS

A dream come true would be the next ArmA or OFP2 to use the Cryengine 2 engine!!

Opteryx
Opteryx

Maniraptor

• Members
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 18:17

Well if you want MP support your dreams are gonna be shattered..

Heatseeker
Heatseeker

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • 5191 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 18:26

This is off topic... and i dont think the cry engine can match the scale of Armas environment and combat.

Its interesting that you can pick and throw chicken around though Posted Image .

Kirby
Kirby

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1007 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 18:40

A realistic Crysis would rock.

No stupid ass crap in a realistic physics engine would rock.

Why do all these devs make games look, and have the physics, close to real life, and then make you a lone super soldier fighting aliens?!  Posted Image

With completly fake firearms loosley BASED on a real life weapon with flip out scopes and stuff.

Sorry for repeatedly editing this, but i also notice even more things they put in sutch as helocopters that look like they are based on an Hind flying undamaged after getting hit by some kind of weird future AT launcher. lol.

Posted Image
The original Private Security Contractor themed ARMA-series group, est. 2004

dmitri
dmitri

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 18:46

Why do all these devs make games look, and have the physics, close to real life, and then make you a lone super soldier fighting aliens?! Posted Image

With completly fake firearms loosley BASED on a real life weapon with flip out scopes and stuff.

Because that's what gamer's want, and pay for. Posted Image

Opteryx
Opteryx

Maniraptor

• Members
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 19:16

Also, why are you asking ArmA modders to mod another game?
I'm pretty sure they'll want to use their knowledge and time to do stuff for ArmA and not some other game.
Shouldn't you be asking this somewhere were you can find Crysis modders?

Dwarden
Dwarden

BI Developer

• 9646 posts
  • LocationBrno, Czech Republic

Posted 29 July 2007 - 19:21

CryEngine 2 is next gen hitec engine thus ... it will cost similar price like UE3 or upcoming Source

aka hundreds thousands to millions USD per signle license ...
millions to tens millions for studio crossplatform license ...

i see no reason for BIS to throw away theirs own inhouse engine to get another one and be dependant on CryTek

Crysis is nice game on CryEngine 2 and i'm sure sooner or later there appear realism mod, but i doubt it will be sooner than around this Xmass (1y after ArmA release)

RealTimeChat ~ARMA2 in Your browser (w/o Java), RealTimeChat ~ARMA3 in Your browser (w/o Java),
irc.GameSurge.net/ARMA2 (external IRC clients) irc.GameSurge.net/ARMA3 (external IRC clients)
ARMA 3 Feedback Tracker: http://feedback.arma...y_view_page.php
~100k fans @STEAM ARMA 2 + ARMA 2: OA + ARMA 3: + ~2k @XFIRE A2:OA
Follow my Twitter: http://twitter.com/FoltynD or my Facebook http://facebook.com/FoltynD

ArmaVidz
ArmaVidz

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1189 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 21:11

With more support from BIS, and more development from the mod community, and coordinated efforst 'grouping' mods into one massive mod(cooperatively and not ripping other's work) I think ArmA's graphics are good enough.

Actually, with some in-game Ai fixes and some seriously better hardware (8800 GTS) ArmA looks completely different now (to me on my comp).

1. Crytek is still a slick looking engine. Props!
2. Anything touched by EA is the poop under gamer's shoes.

Posted Image Posted Image
Okay, I am forum lurking lol.

Opteryx
Opteryx

Maniraptor

• Members
  • 1724 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 21:14

Quote[/b] ]2. Anything touched by EA is the poop under gamer's shoes.

Amen to that brotha!

Gunney
Gunney

Sergeant

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 21:49

ha that is generally true but EA has no involment in this gem(just Publishing).Cytek are perfectionists and wouldn't let EA mess up their game.

Anyways, Crysis is gonna be awesome and i'm sure there will be tons of Vietnam mods and possible modern conflict and middle eastern warfare mods. However, if you want battlefield realism only option is ArmA!

I cant wait for Crysis tho, it has more of a hollywood type of game play with the nano suit. Just because it isn't realistic doesn't mean it will be fun as hell.

Mr_Tea
Mr_Tea

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2167 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 22:50

I don`t want to play Crysis, but Far Cry 2 for sure.
The new Cryengine can produce an realistic environment, but i doubt that it can handle really big battles.
Imagine two army's operating with infantry, tanks and air support in that engine. It would need an über PC to handle that, if the engine is capable of that at all. Posted Image
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 - RAM: Corsair XMS 8GB DDR2 RAM-800 MHZ - Video: EVGA GTX 660 TI SC 3GB - Sound: Asus Xonar DX PCI Express 7.1 Audio Card - OS: Win7 Home Premium 64 BIT
Buy the Games you play.
This should be the minimum support and respect to the Developers work.
Posted Image

Balschoiw
Balschoiw

Bavarian Battlesmurf

• Members
  • 6856 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 22:58

Are hexacores delivered with the game ? Posted Image
I doubt that Cryisis will be playable on my machine and most of the "not-topnotch" machines out there. Apart from that Crysis follows a completely different idea than Arma. It creates a FPS-experience around the player, like if you´re going to the movies, while Arma gives you a world to play within.
I remember playing Far Cry and I enjoyed it. The visuals were awesome and the AI not too bad. At the point where I had to fight mutants again, I was dissapointed.
Apart from that, even if the engine was very good, I do not know if there were any serious and grown-up mods for it. I guess not.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online 1.08 face reference gallery
UPDATED ! My interim musicspace with excerpts from commercial productions UPDATED !
NOTE to 1.08 users who have missing weapons: Remove custom addons !

Gunney
Gunney

Sergeant

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 00:59

I don`t want to play Crysis, but Far Cry 2 for sure.

lol you would rather play a game made by ubisoft rather than Crytek, the makers of far cry?

Actually guys, Crytek is optimizing the engine extremely well where you can play the game on a 2-3 year old PC and it will still look pretty good. You dont have to have a "top notch" pc just to run Crysis, that is a common misconception.

However, I think a mod to ArmA massive scale on Cryengine 2 would only work on high end rigs with a Quad core(talking about tons of units on screen). I really hope some talented modders could make this happen, however mod makers need to stay on ArmA and keep making awesome mods Posted Image

Balschoiw
Balschoiw

Bavarian Battlesmurf

• Members
  • 6856 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:09

*cough*

Quote[/b] ]Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Recommended Requirements

CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
RAM: 1.5Gb
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX10 with Windows Vista

As we all know from hard experience , the requirenments are already toned down by the developers for " i want to sell my game" reasons.
So take the info with a sack of salt and there you go.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online 1.08 face reference gallery
UPDATED ! My interim musicspace with excerpts from commercial productions UPDATED !
NOTE to 1.08 users who have missing weapons: Remove custom addons !

TrunkzJr
TrunkzJr

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:54

If someone made a mod off of it, wouldn't it just be Armed Assault with bunny hoppers?
EVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS3 edition
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
X-FI Xtreme Gamer
Corsair Dominator 2 gig ram
EVGA Nforce 680I SLI Motherboard
Thermaltake VA8003BWS Black ATX Tower Case
Windows Vista x64

shinRaiden
shinRaiden

BI Developer

• 1956 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:56

ha that is generally true but EA has no involment in this gem(just Publishing).Cytek are perfectionists and wouldn't let EA mess up their game.

Anyways, Crysis is gonna be awesome and i'm sure there will be tons of Vietnam mods and possible modern conflict and middle eastern warfare mods. However, if you want battlefield realism only option is ArmA!

I cant wait for Crysis tho, it has more of a hollywood type of game play with the nano suit. Just because it isn't realistic doesn't mean it will be fun as hell.

I beg to differ, EA gobbled up Dice and Desert Combat and see what came of that. So much for potential, and how about those ranked servers?
And where is that band that so vauntingly swore, That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country shall leave us no more? Their blood has washed out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave, From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave;
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
(3rd stanza of the Star-Spangled Banner)

walker
walker

Captain

• Members
  • 6512 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:47

Hi all

Maybe I am seeing it wrong.

The graphics look cartoony and blured.

The FPS is what 1 frame per 5 seconds.

I saw very few entities at the same time other than the moire fish and crabs.

I played the first version it was rubbish on a friends computer in the hope it was better than the demo. The AI was about 1980s level what I would expect in manic miner on the spectrum.

View distance was fogged down to 50m if you moved, with back ground 2D flat scenery to cover up that it was not real 3D. You could even see the flat scenery changing when it was too far out of synch.

No MP capability whatsoever.

No control system for players to run an AI squad never mind a platoon or company or battlegroup.

Bouncy bunyhopper pogo boots.

The control system was so bad it required Auto aim for guns. Lame or what?

The cry engine does not make me cry it makes you laugh at the numptys that still consider buying it.

Sadly walker
Posted Image
You are only a bullet away from being stupid.

Heatseeker
Heatseeker

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • 5191 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:05

You cant be serious Walker Posted Image ??

Its the most impressive graphics engine ever Posted Image .

Jack-UK
Jack-UK

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1379 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 13:24

I havent read up much on Crysis but the physics and graphics are AMAZING. Full stop.

Also according to this thread the game will be moddable, in which case i see a realism mod coming out for it eventually Posted Image
[DRS]3MRD|Pvt.Jack-UK

Armed Assault: International Conflict
*** www.ic-arma.com ***

</span><table border=\"0\" align=\"center\" width=\"95%\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\"><tr><td>Quote (themaster303 @ Aug. 25 2007,09:25)</td></tr><tr><td id=\"QUOTE\">lern proper english.</td></tr></table><span =\'\'>

STRYKER555
STRYKER555

Corporal

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 14:00

Crysis is going to ROCK! No doubt about that. But it wont stop me from playing Arma thats for sure.