• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic
Balschoiw
Balschoiw

Bavarian Battlesmurf

• Members
  • 6856 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 13:43

As Armed Assault and OFP have a lot in common, editing-wise you will most likely find answers on basic questions (waypoints, vehicles, triggers, game-logics, unit-setup, grouping, etc) in the Operation Flashpoint Mission editing section of this forum.

To browse the thread click here.

To search for a solution for your problem use the Forum search and make sure you choose the Operation Flashpoint Mission Editing & Scripting section and at the bottom of the search page enable "and older" to get accurate results.

You can also check the old OFP mission editing FAQ that provides solutions for common things like working with markers, mission objectives, parachuting, rearming, etc, etc.

Some of the solutions will not work anymore because of the changes with Arma like different weaponnames, unitnames, different syntax in scripting, etc, but generally this should be one of the first places to visit if you are running into a basic problem.
Link: Old OFP Mission editing FAQ

Have fun !

This thread is not meant for asking editing questions. It´s meant for posting references and tutorials or usefull links for editing newbies.

If you run into a specific problem while editing and can´t answer your question by using the search option of the forum, open up a new thread in the Mission Editing section and you will be helped.

Edited by W0lle, 13 April 2009 - 17:50.
Fixed import bugs and urls

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online 1.08 face reference gallery
UPDATED ! My interim musicspace with excerpts from commercial productions UPDATED !
NOTE to 1.08 users who have missing weapons: Remove custom addons !

Kronzky
Kronzky

(Ex) Moderator

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 14:32

Good idea about this thread!

And here are some more resources:

* Bohemia's Wiki - every command (ArmA, OFP, VBS) is covered there, as well as lots of other fundamental information regarding scripting, modeling, and even playing...

* OFPEC - Has ten of thousands of very deep and technical discussions and code snippets about pretty much any subject relating to OFP, and is now also covering ArmA. Any issues that are not specific to ArmA will most likely have been discussed there already. (esp. the Tutorial Pages are a good place to start.)

Posted Image

-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-
-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 17:26

A lot of the ArmA editing commands are the same or very similar to OFP

FOR REFERENCE :

OFP COMREF

Posted Image

Mr-Murray
Mr-Murray

Retired member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:34

You´ll find some informations about editing in my old OFP-Tutorial:

Mr-Murray´s OFP Editing Guide 2.0

Already pulicized:
Armed Assault Editing Guide - German Special Edition (100 pages/SE-Version)
Armed Assault Editing Guide - German Gold Edition (170 pages/SE-Version 1.01)       DOWNLOAD

Coming soon:
Armed Assault Editing Guide - Deluxe Edition (>300 Pages) German/English

Best regards,
Mr-Murray

MR-MURRAY presents

Posted ImageArmA Editing Guide Deluxe Edition - English Version Download
Posted ImageArmA Editing Guide Deluxe Edition - German Version Download

Posted Image Visit me at Facebook! Mapfact Murray

fasad
fasad

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1306 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:52

I've just created a Wiki article that covers (almost) every single option and dialogue in the mission editor. It would be a perfect reference for beginners since the ArmA manual was so lightweight.

[self-promotion]
OFP:R Island : Rezina
[/self-promotion]

Kronzky
Kronzky

(Ex) Moderator

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 16:19

For basic concepts and editor use, Merciless Creation's OFP: Uber Reference Guide (300 PAGES!!!) might be a good place to start.

Even though it was written for Operation Flashpoint, and some of the technical references (like object or weapons names) will not apply to ArmA anymore, it is still a very complete and useful introduction to editing.

I couldn't find a current host for this guide (seems like mercilesscreations.com went out of business), so I've posted it on my own server for now.

Edited by W0lle, 10 April 2009 - 20:11.

Posted Image

cookj71
cookj71

Private First Class

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 21:45

Sorry, but this is a terrible post for beginners.  I spent a solid 8 hours trying to find out how to quickly script and modify missions within the ArmA built in Editor.  I looked here and throughout the WIKI.  Everything is for very advanced users not beginners.

I then went to the WIKI and tried updating examples of scripting commands, but the WIKI forum removed everything!

Here are some rules for all the super advanced users who think this is a beginners sticky.

A beginner knows nothing and when trying to learn something new he needs to feel the data is relevant.

Giving a beginner a list of "functions" he can use just raises his frustration level exponentially as he has no reference to actually use all these cool functions.

Please reference my "BEGINNERS Scripting" post for how to write a beginners instruction manual on scripting.

"Frustrated"

fasad's post is excellent beginning material. I tried updating it some in the WIKI but the moderators removed all of it. Everything else is useless here. Beginners have zero point of reference so pointing them to OFP content does NOT work!!

Thanks fasad, excellent starting point.

.kju -PvPscene-
.kju -PvPscene-

Brigadier General

• Members
  • 12275 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 17:14

well said cookj71 Posted Image

People forgetting about their fromer life of suffering ... only a few
to be highly respected fellows cater for the beginner and
intermediate level.

PS: Also my respect to these people giving forum support, but
1on1 support is hardly efficient for basic learning. Tutorials and
examples are the way to go.

Current active projects: None :(

Maintained/assisted projects: IFA3, Blitzkrieg

Help: Got a crash? Report it! What is the RPT log file?

Zonekiller
Zonekiller

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:32

has anyone thought of setting up a teamspeak room to help
beginers understand stuff Posted Image

would it be of any use Posted Image

Junker
Junker

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:44

has anyone thought of setting up a teamspeak room to help
beginers understand stuff Posted Image

would it be of any use Posted Image

cookj71 hit the nail on the head, I have seen alot of scripts released on these forums, even i cant understand what is going on.

Dialog script with about 30 scripts in the folder, where to start..?
How about a single simple dialog so people can understand what makes that dialog run.

Repawn scripts, again loads of scripts in the folder, where to start and why only Blufor side only Posted Image
People need to make a simple pack for the beginners so they can understand the basics of how to use them.
Posted Image

Balschoiw
Balschoiw

Bavarian Battlesmurf

• Members
  • 6856 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:56

Quoting myself.

Quote[/b] ]This thread is not meant for asking editing questions. It´s meant for posting references and tutorials or usefull links for editing newbies.

Not more, not less.

Edited by W0lle, 11 April 2009 - 00:56.
Fixed import bugs

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online 1.08 face reference gallery
UPDATED ! My interim musicspace with excerpts from commercial productions UPDATED !
NOTE to 1.08 users who have missing weapons: Remove custom addons !

derfalpha
derfalpha

Private First Class

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:04

Suppose I download a script. Where do i install it?

horrgakx
horrgakx

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 14:32

I had a look around (ie. search facility) but I can't see how it is possible to edit an existing mission. Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest.

When I create a mission it appears in My Documents\ARMA but its a different format to something I download.

Just want to have a look around in existing missions, but can't get them opened in the editor...
Intel Core i7 3770 IVY Bridge, Quad Core (1155, 3.40GHZ, 8MB Cache)
AMD HD7970 3GB Graphics Card
16GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
Asus P8Z77-V LX2
Solid State Drive SATA III

Photographer - http://www.photographynorthwest.com
Flickr gallery - http://flickr.com/horrgakx/sets

Denz
Denz

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:51

You need to depbo the mission file then put that folder in My docs/ArmA/Missions

You need a tool to open the pbo file.
I always use Eliteness but
Kegetys' ArmA Tools is popular, pbo view - there are quite a few tools to do the job  Posted Image

Edited by W0lle, 11 April 2009 - 00:56.

Posted Image Posted Image OFPEC for all you ArmA/OFP mission editing/scripting needs

horrgakx
horrgakx

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:40

Thanks for that. Good addition to this thread too I think.
Asus P8Z77-V LX2

Mr-Murray
Mr-Murray

Retired member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 16:14

Hi all!
I released the last build of my Editing Guide. The new and English one with moreover 320 pages is still in progress.

Armed Assault Editing Guide - German Gold Edition (170 pages/SE-Version 1.02)       DOWNLOAD  Size: 10,8 MB

Have fun!!!

Best regards,
Mr-Murray

MR-MURRAY presents

SNKMAN
SNKMAN

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1617 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:39

Very good job Mr-Murray.

I still remember back in the good old OFP times without your Editing Guide i never would came that deep into OFP/ArmA editing as i'm now.

So this is a must have.

Thank you very much for the hard work. Posted Image
Posted Image

horrgakx
horrgakx

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:24

I released the last build of my Editing Guide. The new and English one with moreover 320 pages is still in progress.

Excellent news, am downloading now!!

However, can I post a suggestion that you put the file size in your posts about the download please?  I'm passing 66Mb and still going, if I'd have known I would have waited to do this on a different machine.

[EDIT]  Its only now I've opened it that I've realised its the German version - I missed that in your post, sorry!
Thats a double-headbang! Posted Image

Thanks.

Asus P8Z77-V LX2

Mr-Murray
Mr-Murray

Retired member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 19:41

Hi all
Big thangs for your feedback! I´m sure that you have to learn German Horrgakx. Just a joke Posted Image

My friends Memphisbelle and Dan are still busy with the translation of the forthcoming guide into English! So the English community will get its own Editing Guide!

We looking forward to release it very soon.

Best regards,
Mr-Murray

MR-MURRAY presents

Buzz
Buzz

Corporal

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:39

Sorry, but this is a terrible post for beginners. I spent a solid 8 hours trying to find out how to quickly script and modify missions within the ArmA built in Editor. I looked here and throughout the WIKI. Everything is for very advanced users not beginners.

I then went to the WIKI and tried updating examples of scripting commands, but the WIKI forum removed everything!

Here are some rules for all the super advanced users who think this is a beginners sticky.

A beginner knows nothing and when trying to learn something new he needs to feel the data is relevant.

Giving a beginner a list of "functions" he can use just raises his frustration level exponentially as he has no reference to actually use all these cool functions.

Please reference my "BEGINNERS Scripting" post for how to write a beginners instruction manual on scripting.

"Frustrated"

fasad's post is excellent beginning material. I tried updating it some in the WIKI but the moderators removed all of it. Everything else is useless here. Beginners have zero point of reference so pointing them to OFP content does NOT work!!

Thanks fasad, excellent starting point.

Posted Image Yes I am a noob when it comes to editing ArmA, and I see
alot of excellent work made by the community available for download.It just seems that alot of the install instructions are
extremely sketchy on what files are to go where and how to initialize everything and I'm dealing with that problem right now.
I just dloaded a pack for a satellite view and I'm confronted with directories full of files such as *.sqf,*.oog,hpp sqs and a few others. What to do with these, do i just add them to the main mission directory or copy them to them related sub directories,
I know a few people I play with would love to know how to add user created content to missions, and could quite possibly return the favor by making their own, cause we all have ideas about what we want from this game.
Any links or help in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated,
and sorry I know I'm not suppose to post questions here but I'm at my wits's end and for every 1 there's probably 100 others.

Thankyou for your time all...
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches,we shall fight on the landing grounds,we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,we shall fight in the hills,we shall never surrender

Winston Churchill 4 June 1940