caz

Guide to on-line play for noobs

Cheers guys this is the best thread I have read re multiplayer on any games I play online ie Wolfie MOHAA CS.  Keep up the good work. Oh and say hi if you see me online!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

As I read this thread my hopes soar!

This is very well written, and its great to see all the positive, and constructive, input. Hoorah!

Now I hope you can help me. I've been trying to connect to a multiplayer game and....no joy. I've tried both Gamespay and The ASE, but nada. The games plays and launches in single no worries, never crashes. When connecting to multiplayer I briefly see 'The Countdown Begins' and then

'Waiting for Server' and *Kazaaam*, I'm back at the server que.

Can anyone help. And before you mention firewall, I do not have any extra programs like 'Zonealarm' etc running. Just plain old WinME, a DSL connection, and my phoneline. Anyone, pleeeeaasssse. I'm dying for a multiplayer scrap!

Hope to see you in my sights real soon, Ghoul! biggrin.gif

OK, Umm, yeah.

I find the best hull-down vehicles are the BMP series or the JEEP-MG.

Reason for BMP: Turret is very small and is quite low to the ground.

Reason for BMP: MG and soldier don't make for even a small profile, when backed by trees/bushes almost invisible.

Anyway, best server is FragHaus, and I'm already in pre-alpha stages of making a beach invasion mission with Slayers Huge Base.

Guest Titanium

Map Reading 101 for OFP

When playing OFP in veteran mode, it is imperative you find out where you are.  Should say you crash or something messes up and you are abonbded in the middle of nowhere.  This little post is about how to fix all that, you just have to learn how to read your map. Its qute simple actually.  Go into your mission editor, and make yourself an A10, Su25, Cessna, or whatever you want.  Now, fly around the islands.  Make a few quick passes and study the landspcapes.  That is the first step im map reading.  Also, look at your map, get an idea of where towns are, what their names are, even markers marking alititude of the landscape.  Now onto how to figure out just where the hell you are in a real game.  Keep track of where you were when you were last able to remeber your location.  Think about where you were going, and what path you were going to take.  These three things will give you a general idea on where you can be.  

The rest of this is process of elimination.  Where ever you landed from you ejection, crash, whatever happened take a good look around.  Try to find landmarks.  Such as farms, roads, signs, forests and the water.  If you land by/ in a forest.  Run around it and get its general shape.  Then, most likely you can use that to find out where you are, then call for support.  If you still can't figure out where you are from that, look for a road.  They are all over the place.  That will aid you greatly. Just follow the road, and sooner or later you will arrive at a town.  Most towns have signs telling their names, others you can just tell which they are by common sense.  Call for help, and it's all good. If you land on the coast, this is the easiest.  Just look at your compass (defualt button "G" or just look on your map you may have a compas there.)  Look out to the ocean, and by doing that, you can now tell what coast you are on.  After that, look for the landmarks and locating yourself will be a breeze.  Following these

instructions will aide you greatly.  If all else fails, talk to one of your teammates, and descirbe your location to them.  Make sure they know what they are talking about, and maybe a search can be amade for you.

So, any questions or comments?  Or perhaps you can give me a scenario or prediciment.  Try me, I can porbably help.  My ICQ is 159726824 and my AIM is Harnu14.  If you cath me while I'm on, ask me whatever.  Or if you need to find out where you are, describe the loaction to me over AIM or ICQ, I can probably figure out where you are.  I almost know the island by heart hehe.  Anyway thats it, hope this helps, add any additions you can.

let me add or regurgitate what Titanium said.

first, you gotta know where you start the mission from.

second, know where objective is

third, look at the path you'll be taking

fourth, have some landmarks ready to see.

if you get lost during flight, look at how roads lead and that might give you great clues of were you could be.

as Titanium pointed out, knowing landscape helps drastically. once in awhile, do some land surveying in your chooper around 3 islands. you can get the rough idea of where mountains are and some other usefull tips.

also get used to reading maps in OFP. the curvy lines indicate elevation, and you can find mountains with that, or estimate where you are with it.

rarely used is technique looking at how trees and bushes are laid. in OFP many bushes and trees are laid to the point where it seems like there are unique layout for each part of island. so if you can identify some layout and look around approxiamte area of where you think you are, you can find where you are.

also, don't forget to hide and look at your map. standing in an open field and lokking at the map could get a bullet in your head if there are other enemies as well. tounge.gif

Guest Titanium

It's also good to find a high point when surveying. If there is a peak or even just a small elevated piece of land. Try to get a good view of what is around you when you are surveying.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ Jan. 24 2002,23:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a few questions.

they are rather dumb ones but I need to know

I only have a 56k connection so would the game lag loads for me?

Also, Im with freeserve and to keep it free I have to disconnect off the internet every hour(will change soon) so I dont think I would have enough time to play.

That brings me onto another question how long do games last and what is the usual number of players?

1 more, would I have to join a clan to play?

they are stupid but I need the knowlege<span id='postcolor'>

OFP is not exactly 56k friendly

Games usually last 30 mins

Most dedicated servers have anywhere from 10 - 20 players

GET CABLE no-one likes playing OFP against 56kers they lag, they are nearly impossible to kill because of this lag they warp all over the screen .If a 56ker gets in a vehicle that verhicle becomes lost in some kind of lag loop spome times where other players with good connection like cable and DSl cant enter it sometimes,they make the server lag,everyone has to wait for them to load the map etc... 56k +OFP =s lag lag lag

Not trying to be a jerk just letting you know no-one enjoys having a 56ker in there server

Guest Titanium

Eh, 56k is okay just find server near you. So you get good ping. But its fun for me to shoot at warping people. All the more satsifying to get em. And tho not a lot of ppl like 56k'ers, the 56k'ers like the advantage.

Hello Titanium

one thing i'm still not clear on in regards to your last post and I’ve read my entire OFP and RedHammer book, no luck. sad.gif

Sometimes in the game I here people give there location, the voice is computer generated, Example: Alpha Bravo 67  

Reading the map is not the problem for me "I know my location": I can't figure out how to yell out my location. What buttons are you guys hitting? The Action menu doesn’t seem to have an option to call for support when I’m on foot. I only see a few options like can’t shoot and ammo low. So how do I tell the computer to yell out my location to my team or commander once I know it?  What buttons are you guys using?

Advanced thanks.

Guest Titanium

To my knowledge, human players cant yell it out via your computer voice. Only AI can do that. You just have to find your location and then tell ppl via chat channels.

Ok, thanks Titanium

Btw, I don’t know what the deal is with this built in Voice program, I can not get it to detect my card. I use RW and never have problems.

I tried to set up the voice feature from the setup icon: The sound hardware test wizard says my sound card cannot play sounds. I happen to have one of the best game sound cards to date with up to date drivers. It is a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer card from creative. This just amazes me.

http://www.americas.creative.com/product....uct=134

Ive never used VON. Mainly cause 3rd party progs seem more popular. However, people who od use von it sounds good, very clear. BTW, Placebo if you are reading this (which im sure you will be) change Titanium's map reading 101 to Harnu's map reading 101. With my new name and all I still want em to know who to contact if they need any help.

Hey guys, one thing is been geting me thinking is if is a way to get a lower ping when you allready have a high one, any sugestions? confused.gif

Find server closer to you. Get a better connection. Uprgade your computer if needed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 01 2002,06:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you have a 56k you are out of luck. OFP is unplayable with a 56k.<span id='postcolor'>

opf is totally playable at 56k i only get lags when ther is 20 30 peeps trying to play. my advise to everoyne out there with a 56k if you are going to play then goto a server with low amounts of people or even better play against a few mates with 66k

I can't speak online(type) All i can do is switch between vehicle, side, globel chat but i can't say a thing! Help me plz cuz i can't answer questions on line. I'm running res. and i have a good internet connection(good ping) confused.gif

somebody please??? I have a azerty keybord. Pllleaze help me!

on new netcode using socket implementation, there is no voice support yet. BIS wrote the whole code from scratch, so they didn't have time to put it in i guess. sad.gif

And if you want to practice offline on a MP map, just copy it from you MPMissions folder into the Missions folder, and you can play it any time you want (with AIs).

Of course, you could always just open a LAN game with yourself - but then you wouldn't have the opportunity to save or to accelerate time (things that come in very handy when experimenting with different strategies).

I'm not really a n00b anymore, but there's one thing I still haven't figured out: How to scroll back the chat.

sometimes you can vote an admin with a number, such as "#vote admin 11". I know you can get these numbers with the "#userlist" command. But then the user names quickly scroll through the chat lines. And that's only 4 lines high.

So how can I scroll back?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hneel @ Sep. 28 2002,14:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So how can I scroll back?<span id='postcolor'>

press "/" (or "-" depending on your keyboard layout) to open the chat, then use PageUp/PageDown to scroll back/forward.

win xp---control panel---network connections---right click on msn explorer---properties

do i need to have firewall disabled to play mp of res?

ase or gamespy arcade?

have you made a serious attempt to rate both.

gamespy arcade looks easy and can cost nothing

ase is not free