caz

Guide to on-line play for noobs

We´ve had some long and good missions on wednesday.

That is fun. Albert, what´s up with you ? No time anymore ? biggrin_o.gif

*whispering2bals*

<span style='font-size:7.1pt;line-height:100%'>albert's post here is about 2 months old...</span>

wink_o.gif

Doesn´t matter. He´s around here anyway, so let´s wait and see what happens biggrin_o.gif

Right,

Knackered old f@rt stuck here in the Middle East with too much time on my hands. I've been playing OFP since 2001 solo, while following developments on this board and elsewhere. Never gone online for anything other than web-browsing and email.

Is there another (preferably older, like me...) player who remembers what it was like to start online OFP for the first time and who can guide me through the jargon without making me feel totally useless? I know that I am totally useless, I just don't like being reminded incessantly...

I've downloaded "the Eye" and not understood one thing it's done or said. I have also downloaded ofpwatch and don't know how to start using that, either. Are you beginning to see just what kind of numpty you're dealing with here? I can touchtype fast enough to correspond online, and I've been trusted with sharp/noisy objects by the military and other employers for over 30 years(!), so please someone help me through the steep phase of the learning curve (ie the bottom bit) that I'm stuck on at the moment.

I dont use the Eye, I can never find any games, as far as I can tell the multiplayer lobby thars inside the game is the best way to go.

Have you got a lot of addons already installed? Most of the servers on ofp watch use a ton. YTou can use the D/L manager on their, but its a pain, if you've got most of the addons already.

With ofp watch, assuming its already installed, open it up and look on the top left quarter of the menu for the "@@ browser" button, click it once and it will open up a server list, add the servers you want, and they'll be added to a list in the "server selection" bar, you can trhen choose from any of the sservers you selected and ofp watch gives you the status of the server.

Thanks Kerosene - or may I call you JetA1? (feeble attempt at aviation joke...)

Quote[/b] ]add the servers you want

How do I know which servers I want?

Quote[/b] ]add the servers you want

How do I know which servers I want?

Best ping?

Using the addons you want to play with eg FDF mod?

Type of gameplay you prefer to play ie all coop or CTI or whatever? smile_o.gif

Placebo,

Thanks. I should perhaps also have asked:

"How do you locate servers? Is there a central site you can browse, or do you need to go to specific forum threads (eg FDF mod) for appropriate server advertisements".

I've been doing that over the past half-hour or so - looking through people's signatures and wondering what happens if I click on those links...

Scary stuff. I still have this techno-phobe thing about opening up my 'puter to other users, not helped by reading the "cheats" thread. It bothers me that there are youngsters out there who do that kind of thing for their own entertainment and gratification. Obviously a totally different set of values from those I hold to; the possibility that they could 'defile' my computer holds me back.

Well it doesn't hurt to install a firewall if you don't have one, just be sure you're given permission for Opf to access the internet and should you have problems connecting be sure you've opened the necessary ports, search Avon's FAQ for ports smile_o.gif

How can i setup -mod parameters for our (linux) server ?

i recon there´s no commandline parameters like i know from my OFP so im little bit trapped here.

already created all the needed modfolders and read the 1.94 OFP Patch & opflashres_linuxserver196 readme´s but i could´nt get any useful information out of ´em.

second question would be how to restart the server without having linux installed on my own pc, might be tricky.. not ?  Oô

so i don´t know where else to ask,

please BI Forums, pimp my knowledge !  crazy_o.gif

second question would be how to restart the server without having linux installed on my own pc, might be tricky.. not ?  Oô

Message me on ICQ Burns. wink_o.gif

that´s what i needed, thank you guys smile_o.gif

TeRpEnTiN, i´ll message you tomorrow

Just an addition for things already said: (my personal noob lessons)

1. When tagging along, learning from someone who displays skill in-game, have the mindset of supporting them, trying to keep them alive moreso than yourself. i.e. teamwork. This will help the team score as you learn (and respawn.. Suck it up bulletsponge!) ;-)

2. In CTF, especially smaller maps, there is a good chance that your home flag will be covered by the enemy trying to keep you from scoring. Smoke grenades have been REALLY overlooked because of their non-lethality, but absolutely rock in this situation. 3-4 grenades widely dispersed around the flag, with the smoke blowing in the wind, disorient enemy gunners to the true position of the flag, even if it shows your intentions. This makes snipers almost useless, and forces MG's use a 'spray-and-pray' approach. Got many a flag home that way.

Wish I had seen this thread years ago. Would have made more lessons much easier. Nice read.

Hi there !

I created an OFP:R host using the NEW button in MULTIPLAYER section, however after giving my IP adress no one can join ! This new sever can't be seen in OFPwatch or Gamespy ...

How can I find out which port I am using ? Is port something we can change ??

I am using WinXP-SP2. Thanx 4 the help !

Have you disabled XP's firewall?

Of course, you could always just open a LAN game with yourself - but then you wouldn't have the opportunity to save or to accelerate time (things that come in very handy when experimenting with different strategies).

wink_o.gif ok so this has been asked a million times, how can i play on my lan by myslef to test some missions i made?

i have saved them to the proper place, i do have GTOY edition, when i try to create a new server, it makes the server, then it says creating client, and stops doing anything.

like it just locks up @ this point. suggestions?

thanks in advance.

@Cobra Eater,

I had this problem when I was downloading addons/missions etc and playing them on my off-line computer at home. My computer would hang also when trying to create a new server. I tried a lot of threads on here that suggested changing the port number and other things. As stupid as it was, the answer turned out to be that I had removed the Lan card a couple of months earlier and only reseating it on the motherboard got the multiplayer working off-line, even though nothing was plugged into or out of it. Maybe a stab in the dark but it might help.

But I do like playing multiplayer off-line with the AI. Its fun. Especially real paintball...

mad_o.gif ok so heres the deal, i had my firewall off or disabled, but if you have macafee, it will rember what it blocked before, at any time and keep it from working, so my bad i shoulda read what that box said a long time ago. thanks again for all the help yall.

yea mcafee can be a real PITA if you forget to allow internet access. Ive learned where to put my mouse on the screen to click allow even if i cant see the message tounge_o.gif

Is there such a thing as newbs any more??? Like game been out 2 years now i think hehe

Yea and another 2 years after your post, heres a newbie that never managed to get online so far. tounge2.gif

I saw someone posted OFP watch: http://www.binarybone.com/ofpwatch/

Is this program still usefull, can I use it? Cos the time I have tried to get online missing addons/islands/whatever seems to be the biggest issue.

And also about ASE. I have it, I pay for it but for some reason

it only shows 1 server, but the wierd part it just counts to version 1.60! I tried config it but no luck. Still OFP has a server browser and it works so its really not a big problem...but still.

And also about ASE. I have it, I pay for it but for some reason

it only shows 1 server, but the wierd part it just counts to version 1.60! I tried config it but no luck. Still OFP has a server browser and it works so its really not a big problem...but still.

Search installed games, OFP:Resistance, you will then be able to see them all.

tell you what, i have never had so much trouble trying to find a multiplayer game in my life.

I haven't managed to play once so far because I don't have some of the obscure add ons or blah blah blah.

Ffs all I want to do is play a bloody game for christ sakes, it is really frustrating.

Still haven't managed to play online yet...just doesn't pop up any servers in the Ofp browser...?