• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 fatcroc5

fatcroc5

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

the past years have seen many barriers and limitations of this game broken.... from dxdll to itweas's ninjas to CoC arty...

anybody have an idea as to what other barriers we can break?... Posted Image
Dear PC Gamer magazine,
I really love your magazine, but I love especially the articles written by Arnold Smith. I guess I just like his writing style, as I have often read his articles over and over and over. When I'm not reading these articles, I'm either institutionalised or following him down the street as he catches the train to work. However, it strikes many people as odd the way i behave, and also the fact that I purchase the magazine, as I don't own a PC nor have I used one. I guess its just his heavenly writing style and the smell of the glossy magazine pages, whose scent is reminisant of my mothers womb.
Keep up the good work,
James Oberon McTwat
Cleaner, Canberra public toilet No154

#2 adrenaline red

adrenaline red

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:00 AM

I dont know if it is possible. But it would be nice to be able to see, fight, and swim underwater. Most maps have lots of water. Which is just unused space for the most part.

I would love to command a submarine or a SEAL team in the seas of OFP.

Thermal imaging, and other goodies like that would be nice as well.
Posted Image

#3 fatcroc5

fatcroc5

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:24 AM

i wouldn't mind having tunnels

but i know for a fact its impossible
Dear PC Gamer magazine,
I really love your magazine, but I love especially the articles written by Arnold Smith. I guess I just like his writing style, as I have often read his articles over and over and over. When I'm not reading these articles, I'm either institutionalised or following him down the street as he catches the train to work. However, it strikes many people as odd the way i behave, and also the fact that I purchase the magazine, as I don't own a PC nor have I used one. I guess its just his heavenly writing style and the smell of the glossy magazine pages, whose scent is reminisant of my mothers womb.
Keep up the good work,
James Oberon McTwat

#4 Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3123 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:26 AM

I think we have already reached OFP's limitations ... Posted Image
- Former FFUR MOD Leader (For Operation Flashpoint).
- Long Live the French Army - Among the most professional armies in the world
- Tweak ArmA II as much as you can, once tweaked, you will discover the real potential of this game simulator.

#5 MontyVCB

MontyVCB

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

i think someone was working on a tunnel system, i dont think its 100% impossible
Posted Image

#6 Berghoff

Berghoff

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 2539 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:24 AM

i think someone was working on a tunnel system, i dont think its 100% impossible
Posted Image

Yea that must be a above ground tunnel. OFP can't do things like that with just the terrian the cells are to big to even do that Posted Image.

#7 Cozza

Cozza

I was Batdog

• Members
  • 2286 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:03 AM

hopefully in Arma....but I woundnt get ya hopes up.

Most likey OFP2 Posted Image
http://www.erepublik.../referrer/Cozza Its tempting to click that

#8 mrbean1112

mrbean1112

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:37 PM

the ability to have more than 1 gunner, on a standard vehicle, and to be able to walk around on moving objects w/out clipping through.

#9 DBR_ONIX

DBR_ONIX

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1291 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

Tunnels are possible
You just make the object sunk into the ground, map a ground texture to it. tada Posted Image

The underwater is harder, but if you raise all the terrain up. Then make a huge flat object (repeated to get aorund the max object size), then using setpos/dir stuff, you can simulate them floating in water..
Basicly like having the subs flying about, but under a water texture, with some well made 3D objects (Like a sphere with water textures, and drop-created bubbles etc)

The clipping problems are nearly impossible to fix, without rewriting the engine code etc..

Multiple gunners is possible, and has been done (Check other threads, someone made a working M2 turrent on a M1A1, worked really well till you touched water with it, but thats not to hard to fix.
Basicly, you just make the gun object in the same location (model-wise) as where it would appear on the "parent" model (The tank), bit of config stuff, bit of scripting, and doing that you can have as many gunner positions as you want (If your commander, you can order each gunner to aim at something different, which would be cool Posted Image)

Any other limitations? Posted Image
- Ben

#10 neonblack

neonblack

Corporal

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:06 PM

Well I'd like the scripting to be easier...

Its not that hard to do, but still Posted Image All those commands and stuff (that I can't even get to work 95% of the time) Posted Image

I mean, some sort of drop down menu, or something would really help.
\"Well, well, well, well. If it isn't fat, stinking billygoat Billy-Boy in poison. How art thou, thy globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip-oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou.\" Alexander Delarge.

#11 Sgt_Eversmann

Sgt_Eversmann

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1898 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:14 PM

tunnels...Stargate schript? Posted Image

#12 fatcroc5

fatcroc5

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

what about harriers and other vtol aircraft.

it would be cool for it to take off like a chopper, but then you are able to change its movement to like a plane.
Dear PC Gamer magazine,
Keep up the good work,
James Oberon McTwat

#13 kavoven

kavoven

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1611 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

I think you can see quiet good, how our Train (AEF-Train) is fighting with these limitations. Stupid AI, difficult scripting, speedproblems and so on...

#14 Sgt_Eversmann

Sgt_Eversmann

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1898 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

yeah, but great work of Scripting K@voven Posted Image

I think most problem are because of the totally fucked up physic engine in ofp... Posted Image

#15 Franze

Franze

Can't Shoot Straight

• Members
  • 2665 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

what about harriers and other vtol aircraft.

it would be cool for it to take off like a chopper, but then you are able to change its movement to like a plane.

You missed the Falklands Harrier a while back? You couldn't change your direction once in the air but you could take off VTOL style.
No more rotating signature images for you!!!

#16 Big Dawg KS

Big Dawg KS

Captain

• Members
  • 6363 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:38 PM

We're close to getting working flashlights on guns, and no we didn't get their yet, I mean actual lights on the weapon models themselves. BIS even attempted it if you look at the classname Man in the commented config, they have an inactive Class Reflectors that were meant for lights on guns but I guess not even they could get it to work... Posted Image
VBS Designer

I like to call Arma a sandbox game that works pretty much like LEGO - you buy it not just because you want to have a nice car from the main picture on its box, do you?

#17 DBR_ONIX

DBR_ONIX

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1291 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:13 PM

tunnels...Stargate schript? Posted Image

That could work, but if you fall out it's screwy
It's easier just to model them to into an indent in the ground
Same thing applies for buildings, it's not that difficult, hardest part is positioning in in WRPTool/Edit, but it's very possible

The falklands VTOL worked pretty well, but not in MP, it only worked on the server Posted Image
But the full Falklands mod should have fully working VTOL, along with fully destructable buildings Posted Image
- Ben

#18 D.murphy man

D.murphy man

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1538 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:29 PM

Well i dont think well need to wait much longer intill most..if not all of the limitation on this game will be broken when Armed Assualt comes out! That said i feel kinda sad that theres all these mods still in development that have put loads of hard work into braking limits only for Armed Assualt to come out and have all there hard work for nothing since itll be already there in Armed Assualt any way and when they port there mod over and release it the 'wow' factors gone Posted Image dont get me wrong thou not complaining about ArAs! Posted Image
Twighlight island http://operationflas...com/file/;41660
Guerilla Tatics! Large 8 player DYNAMIC coop.
http://www.tacticalb...load....bel.pbo
Bio Hazard - Apocaylpse, single playe dynamic zombie mission. Command the special Z-com unit and defend the inhabitance of malden from the hordes!
http://www.flashpoin...-bin....73;st=0
Fallout RPG!
http://www.flashpoin...-bin....t=46625

The £1 blog!
http://the1poundblog.wordpress.com/

#19 DBR_ONIX

DBR_ONIX

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1291 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

ArmA wont be a total fix-all for OFP limitations. Besides, the stuff will still work like it's supposed to, and it'll be great that a brand-new game will already have 4 years worth of addons/mods made for it (yes, that makes sense Posted Image)
I see what you mean, though, but anything that I find impressive for OFP will still be as impressive in ArmA.. For example, I doubt the soldiers in ArmA will be able to run up walls Posted Image

A side stickynote : I wodner if ArmA addons will work in "OFP2"..
- Ben

#20 Wa_Va_Voom

Wa_Va_Voom

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:30 PM

A huge limitation of the game is multi-proxy weapons on vehicles this is where you can only have a single gun system (i.e. a turrent) on a vehicle, this disables us from having a commander machine gun or multiple machinegunners on choppers.

This problem can be fixed via script but you may experience lag espically in large tank battles and in MP. There is another way you can make the script using vectors but you need at least 1 year of university math under your belt to do it.