Sign in to follow this  
gandalf the white

Turning OFP into your favourite game!

See above: the guy has painted a certain file in data.pbo black (I'd make it transparent myself...). Thus, this makes the material properties addon stick out more.

Haven't done it yet, myself, but I'm curious as to what would happen with flares if it were done.

Welcome to the forums!   welcome.gif

Oh, and nice processor!

Thank you for the welcome, I've finally joined the forum community after looking at the forums for a good few years now: needed that search function.

I may have a go at what you proposed, although im not sure if he was talking about the lighting that results from machine guns. It didnt seem to be happening in the pictures shown about the mod, so i presume mabye its something that could be disabled.

i.e.

ground5pb.jpg

machinegun6wn.jpg

this kind of pervasive, lighting that doesnt seem to allow shadows is what i dislike most.

doesnt happen with rockets:

rocket7zf.jpg

Happens with tanks and jeeps as well, and illuminates everything around it without shadowing. Most irriating.

Sorry to be pest but any ideas?

P.S. If im talking bollocks, and im just refering to something this flare00.pac file does, how exactly would I go about editing it?

Open data.pbo in Res/data/htwl. Then, using either a texture editor (make your own if necessary - however, i'd just find an empty texture and overwrite the older one), fix the file, and rezip the pbo (uncompressed, of course).

You'll need a PBO compressor/decompressor, I suggest MikePBO or PBOx.

Scriven, you can only remove that shooting (minigun...) lightning if you do what i did.

just paint flare00.pac black(NOT transparent!!! ) in phostoshop for example... you know...RGB color, don't touch the alpha channel!

if u wanna reworked file, msg me i can send you via email or something...

well... i am playing with max lights and all effects, for best results.

some images, how it looks like... (i had no time to play around, so the pictures are... crazy_o.gif )

btw, in game it looks much better!!!

rockets:

25105strel6-med.JPG

25105strel7-med.JPG

minigun:

25105strel2-med.JPG

25105strel3-med.JPG

Looks very nice. However, does this effect infantry-fired flares? Is there just "light" and no actual "flare" in the sky?

Pics, yes?

there is everything, even infantry flare in the sky...(check pict.), only without that ugly star!

it is worth to try it!

25105flare-med.JPG

Seconded. It looks like you newbies can surprise even a veteran like me. Kudos to your efforts, mate - this makes things 200% better at night!

Well slap a badge on me and call me n00b...That's a top notch piece of work there wow_o.gif

Where can I get my mits on this flare00.pac to alter? Or is someone gonna be a dahhlin' n send me this fixed version? Carmenon? inlove.gif

cameron, have you try it??

I can send this file if you want to try it, but the best solution would be uploading on a server or something...(don't know how...)

emmm... like I said, it looks better for me, but every eye has it's own painter, so... icon_rolleyes.gif

well, i think opf should look like this, without that ugly flare star!

I've got it, Shshmn, send your email to moi, and I'll send you one big fat black flare00.pac back. You do know how to edit PBOs, though, right?

I made flare00.pac into a black file but it hasn't worked for me. I got a strange artifact appear when I fire a weapon.

Here's a couple of instances.

artifact.jpg

Close-up.jpg

You think you could mail me a copy of the file or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers.

Interesting, did you use Paint or Paintshop, or what?

I find Paint = crap. If you so desire, I can send you the file, PM your addy to me, and I'll send it out (once I've gotten around to hashmanS).

so let me get this straight i unpbo the res/dta/hwtl data.pbo file then find flare00.paa then colour that in black then re pbo the file with the new flare file and i should get effects like that?  huh.gif

Edit - Tried it and kind of seems to work but i get an error cant not load minimap flare00.pac or something along those lines?

Ah mate, you've corrupted the p3d. Get a copy (you did save a copy, didn't you?) and try again, remember to NOT use compression.

I'm running into all kinds of problems. When I save it it gives me that error message that you get when you don't save the TGA right. the 33bpm or whatever it is.

I'm using Corel Photo Paint.

I'm PM-ing you.

mmm not working for me

Also that Material Properties addon says the page i requested is not valid just by clicking on the link?

Can someone please send me that addon? or send me a working link?

Edit - Oh and can someone send me the flare00.pac which works? please.

Oh and if i was to put that file into a skypack installer and pressed install would that work just as well as using the re pboed file replacing my previous ofp one?

I can send you my file... it works perfect. PM me and type your email or something

I just had a thought. crazy_o.gif

If you can change the star light thingy to basically and alpha channel so that is doesn't appear, can you also do it with the cone of light?

I know the cone is a model but what about the texture?

A good point. I might take a look.

Be advised, Archy - I sent you and Swishmon the wrong file. Stupid, stupid me.

v1.1 will be in your inboxes tomorrow. Sorry bout that. <whacks forehead>

I opened up VolumeLight.paa or whatever it's called and the other one, then I changed them to completely black and nothing happened.

In game it was exactly the same. Perhaps those are not the right paa files to edit?

:EDIT

Ah, the Res Data Folder. However, still no dice.

I'm fairly sure I know which file to edit - I've seen it before, though I can't remember it right now. Maybe making it transparent...

I'm sorry aboot that flare mixup, too, mate.

If somebody sends the addon with modified flare00.pac thing to me I will see if I can contact the author, so I can notify him we're realeasing it.

Since the result is much like his promo screenshot I dont think he will (or can) prevent it's release  smile_o.gif

also, I think i'll start preparing to update the topic (make a new topic with my new account)