Sign in to follow this  
General Iljurin

OFP 2?

Just wondering if it is 100% certain that there will be a sequel to OFP. Has BIS given out any info in that direction and in such case ......where?

Thanks in advance

It has not been confirmed but they talk about some future projects. Everyone can draw their own conclusions about that. And if they make OFP2 then the release date would probably be somewhere after 2005.

Why do you think it would take that long? Obviously for an OFP2 we'd want something more than a new mission pack and a few new vehicles, but it would be more of an upgrade to the engine with better graphics, AI, networking and new features than a major rewrite from scratch; I don't see why that should take more than a couple of years unless they decide to work on a different project in the meantime.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrLaggy @ Jan. 11 2002,16:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Obviously for an OFP2 we'd want something more than a new mission pack and a few new vehicles, but it would be more of an upgrade to the engine with better graphics, AI, networking and new features than a major rewrite from scratch.<span id='postcolor'>

These improvements are more something for this OFP, but a version 2.00 or something. I'm sure if they want to make a new OFP, it'll be entirely different, and so will take a lot of time to create.

But what the hell? Why talk about OFP2, when OFP1 is still the best fun to get from a game. I'm sure I'll live a couple of years with this game.

I remember reading an interview with one of the Bis guys and he was asked the question about a sequel he said something along the lines of "I'm not sure, we would prefer to work on many different types of projects, we wouldn't want to be known as that company that only makes military sims"......

But that was well before the release and I would hope that the success of the game has convinced them that 50 or 60 sequels would be a good idea wink.gif

I just hope Opf never turns into something like GR, that would make me cry muchlyness smile.gif

IIRC that game was released before Opf.

If there will be a OFP2, then I highly doubt it will arrive before 2005. Look at the development of Duke Nukem Forever. change/upgrades of engines etc...

there are always unforseen delayes nomatter how competent the developers are. Just deal with it.

From the spring'2000 to march 21st of 2001 was probably the longest year in my life.

If OFP2 will be made: please DON'T tell untill after it has been released biggrin.gif (j/k)

As long as the Fairytale game includes Hinds, silenced MP5s and Abrams-es it's fine by me 8-).

I fear it doesn't. Actually I don't know since I didn't understand anything about the Characters section.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If there will be a OFP2, then I highly doubt it will arrive before 2005. Look at the development of Duke Nukem Forever. change/upgrades of engines etc...<span id='postcolor'>

Meanwhile, look at id software: I don't remember the precise dates when the games were released, but it seemed like Doom and the Quakes were released on average 2 to 2 1/2 years apart. You don't have to spend four or five years producing a new game, if you start from one that already works and upgrade it rather than start a new engine from scratch.

Indeed, restarting from scratch is generally regarded as a bad idea in programming precisely because it usually takes at least twice as long as revising the code you already have. Unless the whole program was badly designed at the start it's almost always much better to just rewrite the modules which have to change; which is, I believe, what the id guys do. That's not only because it may be less programming work, but also because you don't have to find and fix all the bugs again, which is the 10% of the programming effort which takes 90% of the time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If OFP2 will be made: please DON'T tell untill after it has been released biggrin.gif (j/k)<span id='postcolor'>

Hehehe.  biggrin.gif  Same thing came to my mind too. I don't want to go through the waiting of the demo again. tounge.gif

It's unpredictable on how long it will take a game to be developed from scratch.

New software is being released everyday. And everything is being sped up, everyday.

OPF1 was made with custom tools, but those tools were most likely based on existing tools. Like GMax.

If BIS started to make OPF1 from scratch today, instead of 1997, they'd probably finish the game in 18 to 24 months.

Imagine trying to make a model in 1999... There was more manual hex editing than actual modelling. Scary.