Sign in to follow this  
Matthijs

Operation Flashpoint in the media

Saturday aug 22, Nova (Nederland3, Netherlands national television) featured a documentary about commercial off-the shelf games used for training by the Dutch military.

Steel Beasts (the commercial version) was discussed as a training tool for the military. It is currently in use with the Dutch military for basic training of communications, for tank crews. Operation Flashpoint was also featured.

For more info and a link to the report:

http://llw.the-dropzone.net/main/

Strange, the guy even looks like me, only 10 years younger. I wonder...

;)

Nova TV

You can view the episode using RealPlayer (I use Real Alternative, much better) smile_o.gif

Strange, the guy even looks like me, only 10 years younger. I wonder...

;)

lol, allmost as if he's your brother... wink_o.gif

naw, nice, i've seen it in MPG format (thank your brother) and it's on my PC, gonna show it off to everyone i know biggrin_o.gif .

too bad ofp is shown in its "plain vanilla" 2001 CWC version, which I think is rather ugly

(there's footage from "steal the car", the other missions on Everon I can't identify, and from soldiers collision bugging themselves out of a truck :-)

the reporter says that it's hard to distinguish computer games such as ofp from real life, but the shot of the helicopter landing could do with some chopper dust effects

OFP is compared with a rather arcade-looking tank shooter. The researcher concludes that games are just about individual high scores and don't teach you teamwork, thus completely missing the point about what makes OFP stand out ...

too bad ofp is shown in its "plain vanilla" 2001 CWC version, which I think is rather ugly

(there's footage from "steal the car", the other missions on Everon I can't identify,  and from soldiers collision bugging themselves out of a truck :-)

the reporter says that it's hard to distinguish computer games such as ofp from real life, but the shot of the helicopter landing could do with some chopper dust effects

OFP is compared with a rather arcade-looking tank shooter. The researcher concludes that games are just about individual high scores and don't teach you teamwork, thus completely missing the point about what makes OFP stand out ...

*nodds*

with today's graphical enhancements in OFP it would look so much better, real pity they didn't do a minute of research  sad_o.gif

i also noticed the soldier collision bug (repeated over and over) , it was on the mission Ambush wink_o.gif

OFP is compared with a rather arcade-looking tank shooter.

Uh uh... wrong there.

As OFP is THE infantry simulation of the present day, Steel Beasts is THE tank simulation of today. The detail in weapons systems makes OFP tanks look like something from an old arcade shooter game.

You can view Steel Beasts in the same light as M1 Tank Platoon. (Too bad TP II never got to see the light of day sad_o.gif )

TP II saw the light of day - I still have it. smile_o.gif It was TPIII that was cancelled, after Hasbro dumbed down Gunship! to the point where everyone hated it. Which is a damn shame, as the original plans were to have TPIII, Gunship! and one or two other games tied into a kind of total battlefield simulator.

I guess it's all kind of moot now that we've got OFP anyways. Still... I'd like to see more M1TPII or Steel Beasts features incorporated into the armor system of OFP2.

TP II saw the light of day - I still have it. smile_o.gif It was TPIII that was cancelled, after Hasbro dumbed down Gunship! to the point where everyone hated it. Which is a damn shame, as the original plans were to have TPIII, Gunship! and one or two other games tied into a kind of total battlefield simulator.

I guess it's all kind of moot now that we've got OFP anyways. Still... I'd like to see more M1TPII or Steel Beasts features incorporated into the armor system of OFP2.

Of course, you are right. I have TP 2 too. smile_o.gif