Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Rappeling/climbing

As I just saw the suggestion of leaning out I started thinking of more specops types of operations and insertions.

I think it would be very neat if OFP2 could support rappelling down buildingas and any cliffs over a certain angle. As well as hook throwing/shooting and climbing.

Imagine rappelling down a highrise and timing your descent straight into a window, shooting it out as you fall through to the inside. biggrin_o.gif

So I guess to rappell you would need some sort of tie point, to climb a throw hook or already prepared rope from the top.

tower-1.jpg

EDIT: Actually rope physics in general would be great, clud facilitate tying objects onto choppers (no not just hawks) ;) or towing vehicles. Building to building crossing. MAN this would be somehting if they spent some time on it.

Think so, and timed grenades that you can roll in or bounce off. Leaning out goes along the same lines. Helmets with lamps, or rifle mounted lights etc... hehhe you got the whole deal then, well, kinda.

Yep. I've had dozens of ideas mostly concerning CQB, but it's an enormous amount of work that has to be done to make a battlefield simulator and also working, cool, and realistic CQB. That's why I haven't bothered to announce my ideas.

I'm afraid that we won't see very much CQB in OFP2. It's going to be Vietnam and a lot of jungle, but you still should be able to klimb some trees. that's a must for snipers in the jungle! wink_o.gif

I'm afraid we won't se a lot of stuff in OFP2, but what the heck. Hopefully we will see sharp objects and colours. crazy_o.gif Not like almost everything else new.

I really hope OFP 2 won't be CQB based by its features. Ropes and stuff sound cool but I'd say digging youself into the ground and running in trenches and foxholes is the thing we are currently missing in war sims.

Well actually ropes are part of normal army ops as well, not CQB-police tactics alone. But yes, digging in for personnel and vehicles seems important as well. smile_o.gif

Yes that would be sweet rappelling in urban combat zone,, but i hope ofp will support CQB this time wink_o.gif

Any 1 know the game Spinter Cell? Well i hope BIS can make it like that so if you reach a point like a pole or some thing then you got the option to raple down building ( but you need the Raple gear for it so no gear no raple ) but this is not just a Anim no!: You can control it your self so you can choose to hang some where and take your gun and shoot or you just can get down... Maybe BIS can make the same with Climbing a building with rope "Gun"?

uh... that's too much already. I don't think we'll see that in Nam, africa or europe. CQB support like, new formations, and better AI would be great, but OFP is still a infantry sim and not some super-special-secret-agent-one-man-army game. biggrin_o.gif

$33ker @ Aug. 18 2003,22:19)]I'm afraid that we won't see very much CQB in OFP2. It's going to be Vietnam and a lot of jungle, but you still should be able to klimb some trees. that's a must for snipers in the jungle! wink_o.gif

How do you know the Southeast asian island (or map) wont have urban cities?

So that's how it is, you guys say you don't want it because you know it won't be there. tounge_o.gif I still want it, even if I'm pretty sure it won't be added.

I totally agree with everyone that OFP should be a little better in close quarters before many of these improvements can be useful.

I'd also like to see windows that can open and you can climb in to or out of but as it is that's absolutely useless.

my idea is to add CQB movement into a basic movement we always do,

and switch between them by the menu, those movement should be slower

then the basic movement, but faster and more stible then when we aim and walk at same time,

also the soldier will become tired if they keep in CQB movement

also lean is important, cause if the 3rd persion is off, we cant

see what happen behind cover at all

yeah but the problem with OFP and CQB is the size of map and collision detection. Mostly. It's simply hard to keep all the detail and calculations running on your CPU for 12.8Km^2. I'm sure BIS could have designed a more R6 type of game engine but then no machine could possibly run the size of map we like.

Again it will have to be kind of a work of art to balance out CQB combat with performance and size of map. Every year though the door for this kind of engine opens up wider.

Quote[/b] ]

I think it would be very neat if OFP2 could support rappelling down buildingas and any cliffs over a certain angle.  As well as hook throwing/shooting and climbing.

That would be sweet to see that in the next release.  If they can manage, sky diving would be cool to see as well.  I remember somebody writing a HALO script a while back.  It was kinda neat, but unfortunaltely the guy falling out of the sky looked like he was running through the sky.  Its very funny looking looking.  So if BIS manages someday to support rappelling, maybe they could look into sky diving as well.

yeah but the problem with OFP and CQB is the size of map and collision detection.  Mostly.  It's simply hard to keep all the detail and calculations running on your CPU for 12.8Km^2.  I'm sure BIS could have designed a more R6 type of game engine but then no machine could possibly run the size of map we like.

Again it will have to be kind of a work of art to balance out CQB combat with performance and size of map.  Every year though the door for this kind of engine opens up wider.

cant agree more, but still wish it inclued lean...............

Quote[/b] ]

cant agree more, but still wish it inclued lean...............

Are you talking about leaning around a corner?  Yea, that would be cool as well.  I really hope they are considering these ideas in the next release of flashpoint.  Detailed textures are nice, but you gotta have some new features as well or else is just gonna be same old stuff.

Are you talking about leaning around a corner?  Yea, that would be cool as well.  I really hope they are considering these ideas in the next release of flashpoint.  Detailed textures are nice, but you gotta have some new features as well or else is just gonna be same old stuff.

I and every OFPer would take new features, actions, weapons etc over more detailed terrain any day!!

$33ker @ Aug. 18 2003,22:19)]I'm afraid that we won't see very much CQB in OFP2. It's going to be Vietnam and a lot of jungle, but you still should be able to klimb some trees. that's a must for snipers in the jungle! wink_o.gif

How do you know the Southeast asian island (or map) wont have urban cities?

I meant that kind of CQB that involves ropes. biggrin_o.gif

Ropes would be great, you could make better hostage missions if you could tie them up. I would also like to see a "Jump" feature, not for jumping out of the way of bullets but for jumping out a window or behind cover, i guess thats more of a "Dive" feature tounge_o.gif

yeah but the problem with OFP and CQB is the size of map and collision detection.  Mostly.  It's simply hard to keep all the detail and calculations running on your CPU for 12.8Km^2.

We'll have streaming terrain + CPU performance of (late) 2004.