Sign in to follow this  
Hit_Sqd_Maximus

Lift kits

I am planning on putting a 3.5 inch suspension lift on my 1987 jeep XJ... but I dont know if the steering stablizer is necessary or not for such a small lift. Does anyone here have any experience with lifting vehicles? It is a rough country Front springs and rear leaf springs and an "add a block"

I added a 4" lift on my toyota recently. smile_o.gif

I think it would be a good idea getting a steering stabalizer. blues.gif

(It'll also make your vehicle look nicer  smile_o.gif  )

Damn you jeep fans !

I drive a AWD Mitsubishi FTO , beats you "Big One" fans tounge_o.gif

What kind of dog is that? Golden Retriever? Great dogs smile_o.gif

Yep.Name is Clyde. smile_o.gif

Thanks for the comments. unclesam.gif

I'll post more if you'd like. blues.gif

Oh, and my Toyota is a 87 to.  smile_o.gif

lol

P8120007.JPG

Here is some screens of what my steering stabalizer looks like:

P8120008.JPG

P8120009.JPG

P8120011.JPG

P8120013.jpg

It was real 'fun' putting that steering stabalizer in. crazy_o.gif

P8120015.JPG

Hey!Thats my copy of Operation flashpoint! tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Oh, and have fun putting in that lift kit!It took me and my uncle, and dad, and a couple of other guys, all day to put that 4" lift in! sad_o.gif

Oh, and my Toyota is a 87 to.  smile_o.gif

lol

Oh, and have fun putting in that lift kit!It took me and my uncle, and dad, and a couple of other guys, all day to put that 4" lift in! sad_o.gif

Thanks, I have a barn w/ all the tools you could imagine in it, pnuematic(SP?) wrenches, full range of sockets, jacks, stands, ect. Maybe that will speed up the build time  smile_o.gif

From what I understand w/ is 87 is a piss poor year....it is one of the first years they started switching from carbourated to fuel injection and I have a lot of unnecessary electronics... mad_o.gif

Is that por-15 you have on the skidplate??

did you have to put different gearing in it?

P8120015.JPG

Hey!Thats my copy of Operation flashpoint! tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Now that's what I call a great OFP shot. biggrin_o.gif

Ahh dags, I wish I had the room for a nice dag like that. (dag = dog)

Quote[/b] ]Thanks, I have a barn w/ all the tools you could imagine in it, pnuematic(SP?) wrenches, full range of sockets, jacks, stands, ect. Maybe that will speed up the build time  

We put the lift kit in my uncles car bodyshop, so he has all the tools to, and it still took a while. ;)

Quote[/b] ]Is that por-15 you have on the skidplate??

did you have to put different gearing in it?

por-15?

No, I didn't have to put any diffrent gearing.Oh, and by the way, its a Suspension lift.And new bushings on all body mounts.

Quote[/b] ]From what I have had to work w/ is 87 is a piss poor year.... first years they started switching from carbourated to fuel injection and I have a lot of unnecessary electronics

My truck is fuel injection.And turbo charger. smile_o.gif

Oh and by adding a steering stabalizer, it removes some of vibrations, while driving.

Oh, and by the way, its a Suspension lift.

I cant add a body lift to my jeep because they are on a uniframe, which I guess cuts down a lot of weight but they are still heavy.

How much were the nurf bars under the doors? smile_o.gif

My truck is fuel injection.And turbo charger. smile_o.gif

NOW YOURE TALKING! smile_o.gif So, how much boost you giving that poor engine? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]How much were the nurf bars under the doors?

About $150 I think, for the 2 of them.(There made by:Genuine steel)I get everything for my truck from 4 wheel parts.

(I buy everything at the actual store though, and not online)

I'll take a picture of my trucks engine tomarrow.Its dark right now. unclesam.gif

Turbo. biggrin_o.gif

P8130001.jpg

P8130002.jpg

P8130003.jpg

P8130008.jpg

Front end.

P8130004.jpg

P8130005.jpg

Genuine steel steps

P8130006.jpg

Front suspension lift

P8130007.jpg

And rear spring.

Kinda got the bottom alittle muddy.  smile_o.gif

My little baby. biggrin_o.gif

Trying to get some tube bumpers soon.And a winch.

Oh, and by the way, my truck is manual.(stick shift)

Your a river rat! weeeeeeeeeeeeee my parents have 800 acres on the south canadian river, your in colorado right? thats about a 7-8 hour drive if you go through New Mexico then the panhandle of Oklahoma.. you need to "stop" by biggrin_o.gif

How many Ibs pounds of torque does that turbo add?  smile_o.gif  

Im going to sell the XJ; the electrical is pissing me off..... I might buy a CJ or a TJ(not much electronic BS) If not I'm going to get a dodge pickup for the sake of having a less stressfull vehicle  wink_o.gif

The nice thing about Turbos is they add a whole bunch of torque across the entire RPM range. Torque*RPM basically = HP and over the entire power range translates into how much work your engine can do. I say this because a maximum HP and Torque value at RPM gives you a completely incomplete picture of the engines performance. You also have to add HP (not torque) throughout the entire power range and judge by that number. (when I find how to do that i'll let you know, but it involves curve fitting and area calculation) tounge_o.gif Plus Torque has to be multiplied by RPM to have any real meaning. If you get 300lbs torque at 5000RPM you have an insane engine, if you have 300lbs torque at 1300RPM you have nothing special.

However it's a huge pain to go from a non-turbo stock engine to a turbo stock with all the engine controls like computers, sensors, and wires that have to be swapped.

That's some serious screwing around there! I mean, you guys don't screw around... tounge_o.gif

Damn you jeep fans !

I drive a AWD Mitsubishi FTO , beats you "Big One" fans  tounge_o.gif

Really, an AWD FTO? I'm sure, no actually damn sure that FTO's are FWD only. The only FTO I know of that's AWD is in Gran Turismo!

If your FTO is AWD, I'd like to see a picture of the modifications you gave to it to make it AWD, and then ask you what parts you used, EVO, GTO (3000 GT)?

If you meant GTO, thats ok, cause as far as I'm aware, FTO's were FWD only.

86 Camaro Iroc Z for me, can't drive yet, but it's mine  smile_o.gif

camaro.jpg

engine.jpg

This isn't my EXACT car, but its the same, mine just needs a little touch up on the paint.

May not be all terrain, but a 305 with nothing to power but the engine will burn any of the new angry hornets (Imports).

No offence to imports, I like them also, but theres nothing like a good O'l V8 muscle car....

Ok what is the horsepower output then, and what is the weight of your car. rock.gifsmile_o.gif And transmission type...

EDIT: Checked it out, you're looking at a 15.0s+ quarter mile (unmodified). You are certainly not going to smoke imports that are properly modified. tounge_o.gif