Sign in to follow this  
Schoeler

Bad virus

Quote[/b] ]You get what you pay for.

..................or more than one bargained for - considering the all the security holes in windows tounge_o.gif

Yeah, something like this RPC exploit is a case of bad design procedures, or simply someones lack of thought. More likely it's big company design team problem, such as intense specialization and control over everyones task, plus pressure on guidelines etc.

Here's an update on my problems: The patch obviously worked. My pc apparently no longer turns itself on after ca 30 seconds. A BIG thankyou to Supah and bn880 !

smile_o.gif

Ps! I still receive the message that someone is logged on my computer?

Anyway - thanks to the mods as well for keeping up this thread, offtopic or not!

Well, I invested in Norton...between that and ZoneAlarm, I hope I'm protected...

I've got Norton too - but it didn't protect me from someone gaining access to my pc mad_o.gif

I hope everything is ok now rock.gif

Hi again fellow comrades!

I have one final question. Unfortunately I'm not exactly an expert on these things, but - when I use lavasoft ad-aware and I receive a message about discovered items and folders - is it then safe to delete those?

I had 5 items and a folder and it said something about it being a dataminer . When I checked the folder up it said something about a company called Teknum corporation or something. Because I'm a wee bit paranoid I just deleted it and restrained myself from checking up on the web if there was such a company.

So, my questions are as follows: If I had done a search for that company and entered their website - would it be likely that I received a virus or something?

And - when I delete - do I run the risk of screwing up my pc in any way as long as I don't receive a message about this file being crucial to run a program of some sort?

rock.gif

to my <s>Swedish</s> Norweigian comrade:

depends. if the result is registry key, who knows. but if the path of the 'data miner' is in internet explorer, then it could be a cookie. as long as you go to the company's website without proper cookie preference level you will get another one.

even if it was registry key, quaranteeing it(not deleting it) is better idea IMO.

to my <s>Swedish</s> Norweigian comrade:

depends. if the result is registry key, who knows. but if the path of the 'data miner' is in internet explorer, then it could be a cookie. as long as you go to the company's website without proper cookie preference level you will get another one.

even if it was registry key, quaranteeing it(not deleting it) is better idea IMO.

Thanks Ralph!

The only thing I'd like to delete is Denoirs silly national pride wink_o.gif

Everytime i run AdAware (once a week) i delete the whole lot tounge_o.gif

The only time it deleted a needed registry key was the one from Kazza...but i was going to uninstall it anyways, what i always do is set 3rd party cookies option to prompt mode, so the list in adaware is usually small