Sign in to follow this  

Scripting

Don't know whether or not you're joking, but I would actually support Python for object oriented scripting.

Python is awesome.

point is there is a LOT of nice languages to use. and plenty of reasons to choose/use some of them.

and BIS had plenty of them too.

to choose c++ 4 such purpose.

p.s.

yeah pythoon is "awesome".

esp on system-level. inside ket services [like Bind10] or on init-level things. /sarcasm mode off/

turning bloated already thing into more bloated and less manageable state. isn't that great ?? :-P

p.p.s.

im personally prefer Erlang. for plenty of reasons in plenty of projects.

but thats matter ? for both BIS or Arma2 community. unlikely, IMO.

Edited by BasileyOne

Allow also slower paces when using forceSpeed. The animation system allows faster than normal walk paces for units (up to and including 3.3 until they start running instead, 3.31 will be a slow run). Sometimes in mission you want them to act with extreme caution (think Vietnam jungle patrols when contact is highly likely, but combat mode/bounding overwatch is not initiated).

I think they've been working on it.. but they need to definitely create more threads.

Basically, a thread is a separate set of code which is executed simultaneously with the main one. This way, you can utilize all the processing power without having one script or many scripts clog up the whole thing and make it slower.

If you notice on ACE2 or missions with lots of scripts, the radars or friendly name tags take many seconds to update their position, rather than milliseconds (instantaneously as they were designed to be), this is an example of when your scripting engine gets 'clogged'.

The graphics engine runs fine, luckily, but if this engine is to based mostly on configurations and PBO scripts then there should be a performance monitor that creates a new thread every time one gets overloaded, or at least use each thread to its fullest potential.

If needed, I would be happy with Arma1 graphics but highly improved engine code.

Edited by Leg

I think they've been working on it.. but they need to definitely create more threads.

Basically, a thread is a separate set of code which is executed simultaneously with the main one. This way, you can utilize all the processing power without having one script or many scripts clog up the whole thing and make it slower.

That's greatly oversimplifying it.

Especially where scripting is concerned, threading could open up a whole new can of worms. The problem you're apparently overlooking is that threads accessing the same data source (as they would in this case) need to be synchronized, which isn't as easy as you might think. BIS can't just "create more threads", as you say, to magically solve performance problems.

That's greatly oversimplifying it.

Especially where scripting is concerned, threading could open up a whole new can of worms. The problem you're apparently overlooking is that threads accessing the same data source (as they would in this case) need to be synchronized, which isn't as easy as you might think. BIS can't just "create more threads", as you say, to magically solve performance problems.

thats where/why message-passing Erlang-based paradigm of dataflow is excel: scalability !! no threads==no deadlocks==no bootlenecks==no overhead.

and its both functional, logical language, easy to learn and use.

note: every second anyone not learn Erlang, God will kill little cute kitten ! so hurry up ! move, Armstrong, move !

A command to get AI's target it's attacking/engaging.

What we have today is:

assignedTarget returns the target the AI unit is assigned by his commander (if any) but it's not always the target the AI unit decides to engage.

aimedAtTarget works for vehicles only, do not return anything a infantry soldier is aiming at.

cursorTarget only works for the player.

/KC

SetWeaponDirection and/or LockTurretDir

These would allow static machineguns their barrels/turrets to be rotated instead of the entire thing.

and we already have http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/weaponDirection

plus, VBS2 has these exact functions, I just wished they were in ArmA2

SetWeaponDirection and/or LockTurretDir

These would allow static machineguns their barrels/turrets to be rotated instead of the entire thing.

and we already have http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/weaponDirection

plus, VBS2 has these exact functions, I just wished they were in ArmA2

Have you tried setFormDir? I know it works for vehicle turrets. You just need to name the gunner. The turret/gun will rotate in real time, so if you want an empty static, give it a few seconds then delete the crew.

Edited by Harzach