Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Operation flashpoint 2

You don't need to trust me, trust that BIS make good games.

But judging by what you have seen from BIS so far, would you expect a new game from them to be good or not good? Easy answer smile.gif

Im excited by the idea of a flashpoint2 being a 'nam based conflict.

That conflict from a US/AUS/NZ point of view relied heavily on CAS, and Artillery strikes, which would be interesting to see implemented in the game (not as a 3rd party addon/script).

Also the most graphically intensive environment would be jungle imo, so they must think they can work wonders with the new graphics engine to do that.

cheers!

ons,

This whole discussion about OFP2 being Veitnam is ridiculous speculation guys. From the BBC TV Series "Yes Minister":

"My dog has four legs. All dogs have four legs. My cat has four legs. Therefore my cat is a dog."

This is the sort of logic you guys are employing I'm afraid wink.gif

As for joining while a game is in progress....I'm all for that so long as it is possible to lock/unlock teams during a game.

I have no doubt that it will be a great game, whatever it will be!

The only wish I really really do have, for me and for a longlasting and happy MP community, is a greatly improved netcode.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Mar. 24 2003,23:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">VTV is the name of a czech TV channel.<span id='postcolor'>

Vietnam also has a (state owned) TV network called VTV, Vietnam Television...

If you can read Vietnamese, check out VTV

Interesting HitmanFF. Maybe we would fight as a Vietnamese soldier this time as a contrast to most other vietnam games.

Please not another Vietname game, and please not another game where you play as an American, why can't it be someone else!!!

Eastern European arena would be excellent,

Is it possible the motion capture technology just developed by BIS with be OFP2, its a juicy prospect! biggrin.gif

Great to hear what's comming up.

And for me, whatever the setting is, I have every confidence it will be a fantastic game, and I'm absolutely sure I'll buy it. So, I'll just wait and see. I don't play OFP1 very often anymore, but still I have every reason of checking this site every now and then.

Great to hear the news BIS, and I wish you all the luck and succes creating this, no doubt, fantastic new game.

BIS-crew for presidents! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Mar. 24 2003,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You don't need to trust me, trust that BIS make good games.

But judging by what you have seen from BIS so far, would you expect a new game from them to be good or not good? Easy answer smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ohh.... I get it. I thought you visited them or something and already saw it. Hehe... yes, BIS is great. biggrin.gif

That would be quite a trip as I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

P.S Leone: Not.. entirely.. useless speculation wink.gif

Im glad to see that we have proof starting to form, but i would like to add that imho, a vietnam mod would be hard to emulate porperly. Vietnam is a large open country, if we look at the present game, we can see why it is island based (due to the map size), if we add a vietnam style map to the game, we then have to set boundarys, which i think BIS dont like, that is the novelty of opfp, that we can run around 14 km X 14 km maps with a realistic boundary of the sea, not an endless cliff or an edge to the map.

We shall have to wait and see, IL is a good contender being island based, unless the new engine will let us get lost in 1000km X1000km maps, as long as i dont have to walk  tounge.gif

I feel that unrealistic boundarys to the maps would spoil opfp.  crazy.gif

Oh I imagine BIS have ideas on how to overcome this wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Flashpoint.ru: What perspective of your development do you see in the future? Which trends in the game industry are you going to choose and which technologies?

Marek Spanel: Operation Flashpoint was our first big published game. We learned many lessons and we want to use the experience it in our next games. During last months, our studio has grown and we moved to new offices. Our research and development continues and there are many areas of technology that we focus on and that we're excited about. I don't want to be too specific but I'll just list some of the main areas: vertex/pixel shaders and better surface materials, realtime lightning and shadowing, face capturing, hands capturing, improved animations, realistic representation of vegetation, performance optimizations, streaming of landscapes and data, better add-on management (with having on mind the existing assets to the original Operation Flashpoint so we shall try to let them operate in the new generation game as fine as possible), improved mission editing and scripting, improved AI, improved physical simulation and collisions, join in progress in multiplayer. But most of all, we always focus on great freedom, open ended environment, open architecture of the game and specific style with strong approach towards realism in the gaming environments.

<span id='postcolor'>

I never really strayed off course in OFP anyways, unless I wanted to, but i remember playing OFP for the first time on vet mode in Montignac must fall in the dark and getting lost and having to repoeat Where are you to the officer every 30 secs crazy.gif

is it just me or didnt the channels nob have numbers on it before ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FW200 @ Mar. 26 2003,20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The entire tv set has changed smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeha.. Someone's haveing fun with the channels.. tounge.gif

Looks better now smile.gif Now all we need is some info..

All I know is that flashpoint2.com was registered by BIS and I'll be damn happywith whatever they make.

PS. Says here that the site was created on Wednesday October 16, 2002.

We need people searching harder tounge.gif It took 5 months to find this biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Mar. 26 2003,16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I know is that flashpoint2.com was registered by BIS and I'll be damn happywith whatever they make.

PS.  Says here that the site was created on Wednesday October 16, 2002.

We need people searching harder  tounge.gif It took 5 months to find this  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

wiggum.gif

Thats nice work boys

It might of been registered, but they might have not put anything up on the website until recently.  confused.gif

I don't see a problem with setting it in World War 2, or Vietnam.

I honestly believe if they were to do so, it would still be nothing like the other games set in those conflicts on the market.

Battleifield 1942 was a decently fun multiplayer game, but, IMO, can't touch OpFlash in Single Player. Not even close.

Besides, Battlefield is essentially an 'arcade game', the controls and physics are stirpped down to make the game accessible, and it is much closer to an FPS than a combat simulator, IMO (except it has vehicles, and the small arms BLOW! tounge.gif )

The main thing I hope for OpFlash 2 is that the basic requirements are somehow kept quite low.

Not just to accomodate older comps, but even so people with comps a year or two old can turn down all the detail levels adnd graphical goodies, but keep the important ones like some shadows, and smoke and such, keep view distance high, and still be able to incorporate large scale battles.

Personally, I would MUCH, MUCH prefer being able to have more going on at once, than improving the looks.

I really can't stress this enough.

smile.gif

I don't agree with you Mongoose. I think that is what is traditionally done by other game developers, they develope average games for average computers.

BIS designed OFP so that you could turn down the detail and play it on low-end machines but as players upgraded their computers and as the technology evolved they were able to increase the detail and as such OFP graphically still looks nice today.

Considering the developement timescale it is important to always focus on the best graphics that they can do because at the end of the developement process often much faster systems are available and much better graphics cards.

We should always strive for the best possible gaming experience I and think everyone who spends money to keep their computer up to date would like games that are released to actually take advantage of the power of their systems and display graphically impressive games rather then cut down versions for budget players.

Just my opinion smile.gif

LT_Damage, I Disagree.

The graphics are NOT better the more you turn up your video.

All high terrain detail does is make shiney smooth ground. oooooohhh shiny ground..

On my computer, well then again it is my sucky, worthless POS computer that I use, when you turn up the resolution all that happend is your screen shrinks. Wow it might be the best looking graphics in the world, but its about the size of my thumbnail. I dunno about you but back when I played CS if you adjusted the resolution it was still the same size as your screen, but everything looked much better. And my computer didnt get about 1 FPS for having a nice resolution while playing CS, like its does in OFP.

Now heres what has always bother me about the graphics in OFP; The soldier models. No offense to the BIS staff, but the soldier models could have used some work. They just look well, ugly. Especially the Resistance Soldiers, their arms and shoulders are stretched out distorted, and like all the other soldiers, they have the stangest shirt I have ever seen. The collar comes up into nothing and the neck is just sticking out.

If there is anything I hope BIS will do with OFP2, it will be create better Soldier models.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FW200 @ Mar. 26 2003,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The entire tv set has changed smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Anyone happen to keep a screenie of the original TV set?