Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Einstein had no illusion

Einsteins speed of gravity proven

It seems that Mr. Einstein has been very consistent! biggrin.gif Do any members here think we will have more people like Albert? If so, how many are born per year/decade/century. smile.gif

Procedure

It is funny that such a straight forward test is used to prove the theory.

EDIT: How about this, is kinetic energy simply a displacement of some mass in another dimension? Is gravity also a shift of certain matter through yet another dimension we can not interpret? tounge.gif

In the future they may not be born at all for example they may be geneticly engineered or may be super computer instead wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Jan. 08 2003,22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the future they may not be born at all for example they may be geneticly engineered or may be super computer instead wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gif Well, I think you are right about the computer, but when we will se a computer of that capabilities... not soon. confused.gif

Genetically engineered, that would be something. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Apparently someone is attempting to build a supercomputer with the processing power of a human brain, but I forget the details.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 08 2003,22:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">EDIT: How about this, is kinetic energy simply a displacement of some mass in another dimension? Is gravity also a shift of certain matter through yet another dimension we can not interpret? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Could these dimensions the same one? 4-th, time? Or another same one?

tounge.gif

Damn... I was still hoping that gravity propagates faster than light and that, some day, gravity waves would be discovered to be the chief means of interstellar communication that we've failed to tune into all these years.

Oh well... beam me up!   crazy.gif

smile.gif too bad for many peoples theories out there. At least it will bring some people back to "earth" with all the 25 dimensions stuff. tounge.gif

That 1.06 looks very interesting, maybe there is something to the way we measure c. 317,780,006m/s? 314,159,265m/s, should be no relation tounge.gif

LOL

bn880, why is this not your avatar?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">20030108T210000-0500_37778_OBS_EINSTEIN_FINALLY_PROVEN_RIGHT_ON_GRAVITY_SPEED_1.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 08 2003,23:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL

bn880, why is this not your avatar?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">20030108T210000-0500_37778_OBS_EINSTEIN_FINALLY_PROVEN_RIGHT_ON_GRAVITY_SPEED_1.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I know.... tounge.gif Just how I feel I guess. Sometimes I should switch it. wink.gif

EDIT: Good night folks, hope to see some neat theories here in the morning. smile.gif

Someone summarise that Nature article for me - did they use gravitational lensing?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 09 2003,04:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is gravity also a shift of certain matter through yet another dimension we can not interpret?<span id='postcolor'>

Gravity is a displacement of the time space continuum. That's what the general theory of relativity is about. Accoding to Einstein there is no such thing as a gravitational force, but it is a contraction of 4-D space. An energy dent, so to say.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn... I was still hoping that gravity propagates faster than light and that, some day, gravity waves would be discovered to be the chief means of interstellar communication that we've failed to tune into all these years.<span id='postcolor'>

As it looks today, the solution to that lies in quantum mechanichs. QM is today still completely incompatible with both the special and general theory of relativity. We know that there is something wrong, but we don't know what. Numerous UFT's (Unified Field Theories) have so far failed to produce any measurable results.

A very interesting thing is the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox (EPR Paradox) that was first suggested by Einstein to show that QM was flawed. According to the special theory of relativity nothing can travel faster then the speed of light. All particles (electrons, photons etc) have a property called 'spin' which can be visualised as a rotational direction. These particles are always created in pairs, with opposite spin (up and down). QM states that the sum of the spin of the particles must always be zero. So if you 'flip' one particle, the other will automatically flip too, instantly. This is a clear violation of Einstein's special theory of relativity since no information should be able to travel faster then the speed of light.

The EPR paradox has been experimentally proven. They have in CERN (Geneva)  separated a pair of particles and set a distance between them of several kilometers. They measured the time on both locations with atomic clocks. And indeed: when they changed the spin of one of the particles, the other changed simultaneously.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 09 2003,06:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As it looks today, the solution to that lies in quantum mechanichs. QM is today still completely incompatible with both the special and general theory of relativity. We know that there is something wrong, but we don't know what.<span id='postcolor'>

See below

The problem is that QM's energy definitions (energy states) don't work with classical electrodynamics (ED) which is the base for relativity. According to ED a moving electron induces an electrical and magnetical field. Doing that it loses energy.

QM states that in an atom the electrons are in discrete energy states while they are moving. If ED was correct all atoms would implode since its electrons would lose their energy and collaps towards the nucleus.

Also the statistical nature of QM, including Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is not compatible with the causality axioms of the theory of relativity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 09 2003,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is that QM's energy definitions (energy states) don't work with classical electrodynamics (ED) which is the base for relativity. According to ED a moving electron induces an electrical and magnetical field. Doing that it loses energy.

QM states that in an atom the electrons are in discrete energy states while they are moving. If ED was correct all atoms would implode since its electrons would lose their energy and collaps towards the nucleus.

Also the statistical nature of QM, including Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is not compatible with the causality axioms of the theory of relativity.<span id='postcolor'>

We must have had the same lecturer in university.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 09 2003,07:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is that QM's energy definitions (energy states) don't work with classical electrodynamics (ED) which is the base for relativity. According to ED a moving electron induces an electrical and magnetical field. Doing that it loses energy.

Also the statistical nature of QM, including Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is not compatible with the causality axioms of the theory of relativity.<span id='postcolor'>

That's all so wrong.

Quantum mechanics is incomaptible with gravity. Quantum mechanics was developed to explain shortcomings in classical physics - for example the ultraviolet catastrophy. QM explains what classical physics could not - it provides a way in which electrons can assume stable orbits, by introducing matter waves and requiring that a stable orbit be composed of an integral number of wavelengths of the electron. QM explained this successfully - this is not the reason the two theories are incompatible.

The primary reason that relativity and quantum mechanics cannot be united into a GUT (as well as g + strong/weak nuclear force) is because the uncertainty principle does not work well with gravity fields and attempting to introduce gravity into quantum mechanics equations just results in an infinite loop integral. It couldn't be renormalized either. One such infinite is where virtual particles that are a consequence of the uncertainty principle would curve the universe into an infinitely small singularity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (//relic// @ Jan. 09 2003,11:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 09 2003,07:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is that QM's energy definitions (energy states) don't work with classical electrodynamics (ED) which is the base for relativity. According to ED a moving electron induces an electrical and magnetical field. Doing that it loses energy.

That's all so wrong.

Quantum mechanics is incomaptible with gravity.  Quantum mechanics was developed to explain shortcomings in classical physics - for example the ultraviolet catastrophy.  QM explains what classical physics could not - it provides a way in which electrons can assume stable orbits, by introducing matter waves and requiring that a stable orbit be composed of an integral number of wavelengths of the electron. QM explained this successfully - this is not the reason the two theories are incompatible.<span id='postcolor'>

Of course it's the reason. The Schrödinger wave equation

img00039.gif due to the discrete states has discrete effective mass m*. One of maxwell's equation says on the other hand that div grad V = 0 with V being the potential barrier. For anybody with some knowledge in math or physics, you will recognize this expression - it's the Laplace boundary value equation. It guarantees a smooth continuous gradient. This equation is valid in classical electrodynamics, but not in QM. That's the source of the incompatibility.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The primary reason that relativity and quantum mechanics cannot be united into a GUT (as well as g + strong/weak nuclear force) is because the uncertainty principle does not work well with gravity fields and attempting to introduce gravity into quantum mechanics equations just results in an infinite loop integral. It couldn't be renormalized either. One such infinite is where virtual particles that are a consequence of the uncertainty principle would curve the universe into an infinitely small singularity.<span id='postcolor'>

Gravity in the Newtonian sense works quite fine. In the general relativity it does not due to the fact that the causality principle is violated because of the statistical nature of QM. You can't separate cause and effect because of it. The hidden variables theory provides a solution, but it has other flaws (such as non-locality problems) and very few people still give it credit today.

I know that google is a powerful thing, but it might be a good idea to know what you are talking about before cutting and pasting texts wink.gif

This thread made me understand why I study English philology instead of physics.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 09 2003,00:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 09 2003,04:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is gravity also a shift of certain matter through yet another dimension we can not interpret?<span id='postcolor'>

Gravity is a displacement of the time space continuum. That's what the general theory of relativity is about. Accoding to Einstein there is no such thing as a gravitational force, but it is a contraction of 4-D space. An energy dent, so to say.<span id='postcolor'>

Really?? He already came up with that? SO in a way we did know what gravity is already. This proves I don't do nearly enough research, and finally I came up to that dimensional conclusion on my own. Kind of a waste of time, but it's an addictive experience to try and figure out things like this. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 09 2003,16:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really??  He already came up with that?  SO in a way we did know what gravity is already.  This proves I don't do nearly enough research, and finally I came up to that dimensional conclusion on my own.  Kind of a waste of time, but it's an addictive experience to try and figure out things like this.  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, now go forth and invent the wheel tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 09 2003,11:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 09 2003,16:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really?? He already came up with that? SO in a way we did know what gravity is already. This proves I don't do nearly enough research, and finally I came up to that dimensional conclusion on my own. Kind of a waste of time, but it's an addictive experience to try and figure out things like this. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, now go forth and invent the wheel tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, exactly... confused.gif LOL tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is that QM's energy definitions (energy states) don't work with classical electrodynamics (ED) which is the base for relativity.<span id='postcolor'>

I think you are right about the incompatibility between Quantum Mechanics (i.e. opposed to classical mechanics) and classical electrodynamics/special relativity.

This can be reconciled though by quantizing electrodynamics ---> QED.

QED is an example of a quantum field theory (i.e. not dealing with point particles but with fields like the electromagnetic one). Such theories succesfully combine Quantum Theory with Special Relativity.

The greatest problem in physics is indeed: How to merge quantum theory with Einsteins general relativity.

Thats also the reason why many physicists like string theory because it can achieve it (though only by introducing additional dimensions tounge.gif )

lol owned

You obviously know a lot more than I do, but what I said wasn't the result of casual googling - everything I've been taught and read in books on quantum physics has stated that quantum mechanics and gravity are currently irreconcilable hence theories like superstring theory

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Jan. 09 2003,18:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The answer is 42.<span id='postcolor'>

Fine! Now find the question...

biggrin.gif

einstein had no illusion? er...at least he got a brain, i got none and i am always in the dark about what u folks talkin tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (philcommando @ Jan. 10 2003,08:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">einstein had no illusion? er...at least he got a brain, i got none and i am always in the dark about what u folks talkin tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Then comes the question, have you been studying physics for a long time? Not too many people are born with physical relations and concepts as an understanding instinct. tounge.gif that might explain a bit. smile.gif