Sign in to follow this  
Guest jacobaby

Deddy server - unusual events...

Guest jacobaby

I have noticed when joining my own dedicated server that some unusual things start to happen occasionally if certain filenames are the same from one mission to another.

For instance, if mission 1 used a sound called "mysound" and mission 2 had a sound file also called that, the server can play them both back sometimes, although somewhat distorted.

Again tonite, 2 players in a MP game experienced music during a breifing. The mission IS set up for that, but it should only work for SP games as far as I understand, but they got it anyways.

Anybody else noticed any glitches like these?

V1.90

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Jan. 02 2003,03:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the server can play them both back sometimes, although somewhat distorted.<span id='postcolor'>

Your dedicated server plays sound?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Jan. 01 2003,20:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Jan. 02 2003,03:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the server can play them both back sometimes, although somewhat distorted.<span id='postcolor'>

Your dedicated server plays sound?<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like to know that also. smile.gif

Please be more precise in your description. Describe how the sound is played (the code/event/trigger behind it).

Guest jacobaby

OK sorry for the sketchy details.

First - Kegetys- big fan here, thanks for all the stuff you've done :O)

OK, anomaly 1;

The ded. server was running a mission that had an INIT.SQS with "onBriefingPlan "PlanVoiceOver"". Now I was under the impression that breifing .ogg files only played for a SP game, however two out of seven clients had the sound file play during the briefing in a MP game.

Anomaly 2;

This one scared the hell outa me, see this post for why!

http://groups.google.com/groups?....&rnum=1

Anyway, what happened was this. On my LAN I was running a ded server. I was the only one playing on it. The 2nd mission I played had a sound file named the same as one in the previous mission. The sound file in the 2nd mission is called in "onplayerrespawnasseagull.sqs". The file played properly, but then the file with the same name from the previous mission was also played, at approx half speed. The same thing happened again after that with a different file that was also named the same as one from the previous mission.

I have also had some clients not recieving all of the scripts required during mission download. An error to that effect gets reported, and then odd things happen, like they get a cutscene or the mission cuts straight to debrief.

I wonder if it would make a difference running a server with a command line switch, rather than the standalone version?

Btw, Kegetys, if you have time perhaps you could mail me, theres something I'd like to discuss with you :o)

TJ (ofp newsgroup)