Sign in to follow this  
Seddrik

BLOCKED BUIDLINGS?

When i first started playing ARGO, I was really enamored.  Arma platform, smoother, less lag (obviously less assets on a map at a time helps), PVP with NICE tactical conditions & accessible buildings!!!  Variety of weapons, terrain and places to sneak around...

Then I started finding blocked windows, often right where u most wanted to shoot.  Was excessive.  But... didn't completely ruin the use of houses, not all were blocked.

Then I found more and more upstairs totally blocked off.  

Whether I am sniping there or when I am attacking someone there - access was good both ways!  I completely HATE this blockage.  It limits the map in an totally unrealistic and excessive way.  It makes you feel safe since so many upstairs are blocked now... you dont even have to bother watching them.  It KILLS so much of the thrill now!!

The map has really quickly become stale now because in blocking so many rooms you have erased a big portion of the challenge in room clearing/house clearing and sneaking.

I was 100% for this game but this one thing... really instantly brings me down below 50% for this game.  This is a mil sim, right?  Not a kiddie play room.

Leave the tactical options in and remove those blocks please.

This is a mil sim, right?

No, Project Argo is a dip into the waters of (somewhat) competitive games.

Not a kiddie play room.

That's funny, because I personally consider 'Mil Sims' PvE Roleplay. To each their own, I guess, eh.

To answer your question from a non-developers point of view. Removing certain spots by blocking them is supposed to give the game modes a certain flow, and balance Hotspots (such as Flags in Clash) by keeping, both, the defender and the attacker side in mind.

• Like 1

The arma platform is a military sim, even if they are trying to make a competitive game out of this version.

If they decide to channel all movement into more confined and narrow corridors, like so many FPS pvp games do, then they are handicapping the GREAT aspects of the arma engine.

The access to so much more area makes for a REALISTIC challenge of house to house combat... no other platform I have tried has done it as well as Arma.  There are PLENTY of other games out there which do the confined attack routes, hold my hand so I don't have to worry about clearing rooms or watching the windows, run and gun.  Many of these other platforms are also free.

I did not ask what they were doing.  That is obvious.  My point was that it is the wrong direction for this platform.  It was already a fun, competitive style game before they removed access to so many areas.  They already have the "boundaries" which warn and then kill/expose you if you went too far from the AO.  This allowed a lot of wonderful movement and tactics, which are now being choked out by blocking so many areas WITHIN that AO.

Open the houses back up and I would gladly buy the game (Project Argo).  Close them... and there are many other games which simply outshine Project Argo (do the same thing better).

I have been around for a few years and played competitively, especially in Americas Army 2.8.  I know a lot of people who are looking for a game of similar quality and competitive level as that one was.  Argo (without the choked arteries) is a shining possibility.  With choked arteries... it is like a competitive biking game where all your bikes have training wheels and you cannot take them off.

Also, none of what I have described involves snipping a klick out.  Argo already limits the AO.  The rooms blocked are typically less than 50 meters from the the capture points (that I have seen).  Frankly, I don't care if a guy camps a room and tries to snipe me from 50 or 150 out.  Counter snipe him or move in and frag him, its not like 150 meters is far / super long range in this game.  Now... I don't have to worry about it and that makes the game dull.

1 hour ago, Seddrik said:

The arma platform is a military sim, even if they are trying to make a competitive game out of this version.

If they decide to channel all movement into more confined and narrow corridors, like so many FPS pvp games do, then they are handicapping the GREAT aspects of the arma engine.

The access to so much more area makes for a REALISTIC challenge of house to house combat... no other platform I have tried has done it as well as Arma.  There are PLENTY of other games out there which do the confined attack routes, hold my hand so I don't have to worry about clearing rooms or watching the windows, run and gun.  Many of these other platforms are also free.

I did not ask what they were doing.  That is obvious.  My point was that it is the wrong direction for this platform.  It was already a fun, competitive style game before they removed access to so many areas.  They already have the "boundaries" which warn and then kill/expose you if you went too far from the AO.  This allowed a lot of wonderful movement and tactics, which are now being choked out by blocking so many areas WITHIN that AO.

Open the houses back up and I would gladly buy the game (Project Argo).  Close them... and there are many other games which simply outshine Project Argo (do the same thing better).

I have been around for a few years and played competitively, especially in Americas Army 2.8.  I know a lot of people who are looking for a game of similar quality and competitive level as that one was.  Argo (without the choked arteries) is a shining possibility.  With choked arteries... it is like a competitive biking game where all your bikes have training wheels and you cannot take them off.

Also, none of what I have described involves snipping a klick out.  Argo already limits the AO.  The rooms blocked are typically less than 50 meters from the the capture points (that I have seen).  Frankly, I don't care if a guy camps a room and tries to snipe me from 50 or 150 out.  Counter snipe him or move in and frag him, its not like 150 meters is far / super long range in this game.  Now... I don't have to worry about it and that makes the game dull.

Hi,

I understand your point of view and I will try to shed light on why we did what we did. 

The fact we are using Arma platform does not necessarily mean we will use all it's mechanics and features in the same way at they are in Arma. The reason for blocking the windows and some houses is balance, in Project Argo we are trying to create balanced environments to give both factions the same chance to win. There are always some nice snipe points left, we only eliminate those we feel are obsolete and hurt the game more than help. We are still learning how to create balanced and fair environment on such a large scale.

• Like 1

I understand your view.  I am just saying that your current attempt at balance has stripped the AO of functional positions and turned it into... a one dimensional and less enjoyable run and gun.  As for snipe points left... this ARGO format is already primarily short range.  The ranges are already very close.  The blocking of so many areas actually affects CQC a great deal.  

I never saw an issue with snipers totally dominating from these now blocked positions.  In fact, I have often seen other weapons used (and used them myself) from these positions frequently.  And frankly, I never had an issue dealing with people in these places.  Flank them.  Sneak up on them.  Or, like a guy did to me the other day, use AR fire to suppress while another charges your position.   Not to mention grenades or the grenade launcher as a counter to someone's camping a position.

In the end, its your game and your plan of development that will prevail.  But sadly such limitations / simplifying / dumbing down of the game play do not interest me or my wallet.  I am a very competitive person and have played competitively in several games.  And as I mentioned, I completely loved it up until this one major change in game play.  : /

I wish you the best, but other platforms do run and gun better.  No one does open world like Arma.  Please do not forget your strengths.

23 hours ago, Seddrik said:

Then I started finding blocked windows, often right where u most wanted to shoot.

In my opinion, now is a good ratio of "round time \ time finding the enemy".

If you unblock all windows, doors, buildings, the game becomes an endless search for the enemy. Then it is necessary to increase round time, as in the mode "Hardcore". And not every dead player wants to wait for long respawn time.

56 minutes ago, Seddrik said:

The ranges are already very close.

I agree. On some maps it would not hurt to increase the distance between points of capture.