Sign in to follow this  
psrkallez06

Make an AI pilot stop and hover??

For example. i want one guy in my squad to fly a hummingbird with me on the bench shooting.. But the ai is not very good at stoping on point.. even if i set a waypoint and tells him to fly there he flies another 100 - 500 meter before stopping and hovering (Im not sure if the ai does this because the chopper is being shot at). i would also like being able to tell the ai to rotate the copper 90-180 degress to get a better shot angle.. does anyone know of a mod that gives you more control over the ai that is flying the copper? Thanks!!

You could probably achieve this in the editor with some scripting and trickery of the AI. I'd have the AI pilot "land" on an invisible helipad placed in the air however high you need the helicopter to be, and use a script to change the wind direction so you can control which direction the helicopter faces more or less (I think the AI always tries to land into the wind, but I'm not positive on that).

41 minutes ago, Mynock said:

You could probably achieve this in the editor with some scripting and trickery of the AI. I'd have the AI pilot "land" on an invisible helipad placed in the air however high you need the helicopter to be, and use a script to change the wind direction so you can control which direction the helicopter faces more or less (I think the AI always tries to land into the wind, but I'm not positive on that).

Thanks for your answer. Since i want to use this script in single player missions like DUWS etc, i would prefer making/finding a mod that enables me to do this no matter the missions.. But im no expert in scripting so that would be hard for me. I am willing to make a try tho!

I didn't realize this was in the addon/mods section and not the editing section, so I'm sorry I posted a useless response since I didn't understand what exactly you wanted. Someone else probably knows better how to find what you're after.

28 minutes ago, Mynock said:

I didn't realize this was in the addon/mods section and not the editing section, so I'm sorry I posted a useless response since I didn't understand what exactly you wanted. Someone else probably knows better how to find what you're after.

Oh that's my bad. No need to apoligize, Any tip and input is helpful! Cheers!

UnitCapture unitPlay could be a solution, but it might be a bit of a rail shooter (ie a pre-set flight path). But would allow you to control your heli exactly how you like..

KITD FOHS

Still a script solution: limit the choppers general speed to make shooting easier and stopping quicker: _chopper limitSpeed 100; (or this limitSpeed 100 in chopper's init field)

Waypoints for choppers seem to complete at a range of about 50-75 meters and then won't move again unless the distance is more than 100 meters. This is really annoying as choppers are a precision tool.

I did notice that the lift cargo waypoint  overrides  the default and flies to the exact spot, I'm not sure the best method to cancel   the lift command so it would move on without a load. deleting the waypoint works but is rather messy.     

If the chopper is under fire then that may mess up accuracy, usually you ungroup the pilot from the group and set him to careless so the rest of the crew can fire weapons.