HeroesandvillainsOS

How to not look like your user profile avatar?

So I'm wondering, is it possible to play the game and look like the editor placed unit, and not have it revert your user profile? I find it odd that there isn't a really obvious solution to this.

Incontinentia for instance, just released this sweet sounding undercover script. I want to play as an Afghani local, but my user avatar is a white guy which is who I spawn as, which sort of puts the fork in that idea.

Is there any way to default as the unit and not the player profile?

setidentity

You can also use the arsenal to get the classnames for the faces and stuff with you can export to clipboard and then paste into a unit init.

3 minutes ago, taro8 said:

setidentity

You can also use the arsenal to get the classnames for the faces and stuff with you can export to clipboard and then paste into a unit init.

I'm not the best with code.

So in a unit's init, something like 

setIdentity "LOP_AA_classname_of_unit"

Would be enough (and dedicated server compatible)? Or maybe without the quotes? So setIdentity classname_of_unit for a unit init then?

Ugh. I think I'm misunderstanding you. Faces have classnames? I just want to look like the unit classname. I'm sorry man but the wiki confuses me and an example of written functioning code would help me a lot.

26 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Ugh. I think I'm misunderstanding you. Faces have classnames? I just want to look like the unit classname. I'm sorry man but the wiki confuses me and an example of written functioning code would help me a lot.

You need to set an identity in your description.ext

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#CfgIdentities

and then, in the player's init:

this setIdentity "myIdentity";

You might need to set the identity again if you respawn, not sure.....

Ack! Guys I appreciate all the wiki links but it's a bit too complex for me. The wiki assumes some sort of scripting application knowledge. I'm not quite there yet. :(

Can someone write for me some functioning code? An example of the code and where to put it would help me a lot. From there I can suss out the rest I'm sure.

I do plan on respawning with this unit.

I'm honestly very surprised the profile overrides the unit in such a hard coded way. The vanilla game has factions of different races (American and Iranian) and it stuns me there isn't a checkbox or profile option for this so people can easily "look the part" and "be" the unit they place in the editor.

Here's a demo mission that makes a BLUFOR unit look and sound like a CSAT unit.

Check out the description.ext and the init line of the unit.

It turns out you do need to setIdentity again on respawn, which is what the onPlayerRespawn.sqf does

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-gOD7yyJ9VJYmhhU2lCNWNmcTg

Look at all the identity options here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setIdentity

If you're using mods with different faces and voices, you'll have to find the classnames.....

I have to wonder if I'm asking the question in a confusing way that's making you guys think I'm looking for something I'm not. I think that must be what's happening here and I'm not being clear so sorry for that.

For instance, I don't have to use any special code for AI units to spawn as the unit I place in the editor. I'm just looking for a way for the playable unit to spawn as the unit I place and not default to my profile avatar.

I don't need any specific face or anything. I just want the player to spawn the same way the AI does.

5 minutes ago, dreadpirate said:

Here's a demo mission that makes a BLUFOR unit look and sound like a CSAT unit.

Check out the description.ext and the init line of the unit.

It turns out you do need to setIdentity again on respawn, which is what the onPlayerRespawn.sqf does

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-gOD7yyJ9VJYmhhU2lCNWNmcTg

Look at all the identity options here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setIdentity

If you're using mods with different faces and voices, you'll have to find the classnames.....

Thanks I'll take a look. I appreciate it but I think I must be confusing you guys with my question. I don't need anything fancy, or need the player unit to be something specific. I just want to the player unit to spawn the same way the AI units do. AI don't need any special codes or scripts to stay true to their units so I don't understand why being the player makes the process different.

Just now, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Thanks I'll take a look. I appreciate it but I think I must be confusing you guys with my question. I don't need anything fancy, or need the player unit to be something specific. I just want to the player unit to spawn the same way the AI units do. They don't need any special codes so I don't understand why being the player makes the process different.

AFAIK, the profile identity always overwrites the editor identity, so you'll probably need to do it this way.....

9 minutes ago, dreadpirate said:

AFAIK, the profile identity always overwrites the editor identity, so you'll probably need to do it this way.....

Jeez. That's honestly really insane. Big oversight by BIS if you ask me.

I appreciate the example dude. I'll take a look for sure. I guess I had just assumed there was a BIS_fnc_profile false or something easy I could place in an init but wow I guess not.

Thanks for the help everyone.