Extended Effects

Extended Effects (ExtFX) enables AI speech, dynamic environment sounds, tracers, bullet cracks and many other effects in vanilla CWA and any other mod

Main features

• Enhanced animations, including leaning stances (by using WW4 animations)

• AI Speech (DSAI) with configurable languages for each side, including english, russian and arabic

• Dynamic soundscape: ambient sounds will play randomly when in forests, towns or shores

• Contextual stance for AI: AI units will stand up, crouch or go prone depending on the nearby objects

• Realistic tracers for MGs and MMGs

• Bullet cracks and reverb for shots indoors

• Dust effects for moving infantry and vehicles, bullet impacts, infantry shots, helicopter rotor wash, etc

• Smoke grenades now obscure AI vision. Also, AI with smoke grenades have a chance to throw them when in combat

• Flyby sounds for jet planes

• Destroyed trees will now obscure AI vision

• Engine volume levels inside vehicles adjusted to facilitate communication and be able to hear AI speech

Other than this, the rest is the same as in vanilla OFP/CWA (same AI, same armor and damage values, etc). Gameplay will keep vanilla flavor.

Optional features

You can also enable other features that will modify vanilla gameplay further:

• Hand grenades will bounce before detonating

• AI units will flinch or fall down when hit by bullets

• AI units will be able to suppress an area occupied by enemy infantry

• Automatic launching of flares and chaff for air units

• Shots reverberate when indoors

These optional features are disabled by default. You must manually enable them by editing the settings.sqf file found in the @extfx folder.

Download

Current version is in beta. This mod was created later past year but I haven't worked on it since december. Most features should work without problems. Only some minor bugs and some performance problems remain.

It hasn't been tested in multiplayer, so I can only tell you that it works in single player. Also, due to the extensive use of getposASL and setposASL most of the features won't work in old OFP, and probably never will.

My intention is to eventually keep testing, fixing and increasing the compatibily of this project... once I have more time on my hands, that's it.

Main mod

Addon Packs

These files include a series of addons that change the default vanilla visuals and sounds, making them more modern and, to some extent, more realistic.

To enable them you need to change the definitions.hpp file in @extfx/bin with the corresponding one. You can learn more about how to change this in the included manual.

KhWDuUO.pnghttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By2CaodBQ84GZTV1dDdIM1owMWs?usp=sharing

Hotfixes

• ExtFX - Beta version - Hotfix #2
    This hotfix is only needed if you haven't downloaded the hotfixed main mod from above (if you downloaded a previous version).
    Each hotfix includes the fixes found in previous ones.
    To apply it overwrite the contents of @extfx folder with the contents of this zip file.
    • 0cCLXOV.png - [none]

---

Other

Installation

Shortcut method

• Delete any previous installation of this expansion (by deleting the @extfx and related folders)

• Decompress the zip file and place the @extfx folder inside your ARMA Cold War Assault one.

• Create a shortcut of the ColdWarAssault.exe file.

• Right click on the new shortcut and click on Properties.

• In the Properties window add the following line in the Target text field, just after the path to ColdWarAssault.exe : -mod=@extfx;

• Launch the game by using the new shortcut.

Steam method

If you don't want to use shortcuts and use the Steam version:

• Delete any previous installation of this expansion (by deleting the @extfx and related folders)

• Decompress the zip file and place the @extfx folder inside your ARMA Cold War Assault one .

• In your games list right click on Arma: Cold War Assault and select Properties.

• In the Properties window click on the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... button.

• Write this in the text field: -mod=@extfx;

• Click OK. Click Close. Click Play.

If you want to skip the OFP intro you can add -nosplash before the -mod line, like this:

-nosplash -mod=@extfx;

If you want to use the WW4 Extended definitions, models and sounds then you must launch the mod by adding the @extfx_WW4Ext folder this way (provided you already downloaded the ExtFX - WW4 Extended models file and correctly placed that folder):

-nosplash -mod=@extfx;@extfx_WW4Ext

Configuration files for other mods

I've created a new folder with custom CONFIG.bin files for other mods. I've also included readmes to let all of you know what was changed in order to integrate both mods, along with the suggested mod order (which is, @extfx always before the mod you want to load).

You can get them here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By2CaodBQ84GaDNQaGdpSjdpWU0?usp=sharing

Basically, when integrating this with one of those mods you want to load first the definitions.hpp file (and place it in the mod's /bin folder first) and then add the EH define to the Man, LandVehicle, Air and Ship classes. You should also add PRELOADBANKS_CUSTOM to PreloadBanks and PRELOADADDONS_CUSTOM to PreloadAddons, to make sure the tracers pbo is correctly loaded when the game starts. You might also want to replace their CfgMovesMC class with ExtFX's one.

For mods or addon packs that don't provide a custom config.bin you can just load @extfx AFTER the mod/addon.

Manual

You can find more instructions and information about the available features and options in the manual.

The manual is already included in the the @extfx/_docs folder in pdf form (ExtendedEffects-Manual.pdf), and it's also available online here.

Credits

• Kenoxite (main author)

• Krzychuzokecia (testing)

• Sanctuary (WW4 animations and base config and resource files)
  • WGL team for inspiration and use of some scripts (smoke grenade occlusion, hand grenade bounces, modular structure of configs)

• STGN, for the standing reload animations

• BAS and Vektorboson, for rotor wash and autoflares scripts

• Raptorsaurus, for FlareAid and Weather_chute scripts

• Intro music:

Permissions

APL-SA.png

This project falls under the Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA).

Edited by kenoxite
Updated info for addon packs. Added info and links to configs for other mods
  • Like 8

Thank you very much keno! I've always looked for a way to use (ECP) DSAI as a standalone mod and you figured it out! I'll help in locating any bugs and report them back here.

btw is this also usable with the ecp dsai extension? 

(here's the download for the above ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/CAM_DSAI_Extension.rar)

On a quick side note for those getting  "Preprocessor failed on file resource.cpp -error 1." upon startup, you need to have Faguss' Aspect Ratio installed. (download) http://ofp-faguss.com/?item=ofp+aspect+ratio & (resolution guide) http://ofp-faguss.com/files/ofp_aspect_ratio.pdf 

*You just need to have the "Aspect_Ratio" HPP file in the directory.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up, Marc13Bautista.

I've revised and created this public release a bit too hastily, and mainly on a computer that's not my own. A couple of pbos still had some path references directed to the development version instead of the release one.

I've created a small hotfix (linked in the main post above) that should fix all this. Let me know if there's any other error like this.

15 hours ago, Marc13Bautista said:

Thank you very much keno! I've always looked for a way to use (ECP) DSAI as a standalone mod and you figured it out! I'll help in locating any bugs and report them back here.

btw is this also usable with the ecp dsai extension? 

(here's the download for the above ftp://www.ofpr.info/ofpd/unofaddons2/CAM_DSAI_Extension.rar)

ExtFX DSAI doesn't actually use any of the ECP voices by default, although you can enable support for them by uncommenting a copule lines in the DSAI settings sqf file (and you must place the ECP DSAI pbos in the extfx addons folder).

All the voices used in ExtFX are either from OFP campaign and missions (it took a lot of time finding, revising and editing bits to use as banter) and for later Armas (Arma and Arma II). It also includes the public domain kenney voices, but the point of this DSAI version is that it should have no restrictions of use for any other mod and no problems with copyright or permissions. Everything is either public domain or from BIS themselves, so anybody can use this as they please (with the obvious limitations).

I really don't have much time right now, so I can't go into specifics about this and other features, but I'll provide more info in the following days. Anyway, feel free to keep asking questions.

Also, I think I haven't mentioned, but all this project also falls under the Creative Commons NonCommercial Sharealike license, or it's equivalent in Arma. Later I'll update the main thread accordingly.

• Like 1

I've updated the hotfix to include a fix for the BMP and BMP2, which caused them to not use any of the features available in this mod.

You can either download the hotfix here:

Hotfixes

• ExtFX - Beta version - Hotfix #2
    This hotfix is only needed if you haven't downloaded the hotfixed main mod from above (if you downloaded a previous version).
    Each hotfix includes the fixes found in previous ones.
    To apply it overwrite the contents of @extfx folder with the contents of this zip file.

Or you can manually delete this line from the definitions.hpp and all the hpp files found in @extfx\bin\definitions:

class Eventhandlers { init = " if(format[{%1},EXT_on]=={scalar bool array string 0xfcffffef})then{_this call loadfile{\EXT_scripts\init_EXT.sqf}}; "; };

I've also updated the main mod zip file to include the released hotfixes. So don't apply the hotfixes if you plan on dowloading the main one again or if you download it for the first time.

---

I've also added a download link in the main thread where you can download the mission I used to record the demo video.

Edited by kenoxite
  • Like 1

I just came across your new mod and logged in this new account just to be able to give you feedback and report any bugs
Downloading now :)

EDIT: i got the preprocessor failed on file resource.cpp - error 1 , i tried the -nomap thing but i still get it , do i need the ww4 mod or something ?

1 hour ago, Heks said:

I just came across your new mod and logged in this new account just to be able to give you feedback and report any bugs
Downloading now :)

EDIT: i got the preprocessor failed on file resource.cpp - error 1 , i tried the -nomap thing but i still get it , do i need the ww4 mod or something ?

See my above comment on that XD. 

"On a quick side note for those getting  "Preprocessor failed on file resource.cpp -error 1." upon startup, you need to have Faguss' Aspect Ratio installed. (download) http://ofp-faguss.com/?item=ofp+aspect+ratio & (resolution guide) http://ofp-faguss.com/files/ofp_aspect_ratio.pdf "

*You just need to have the "Aspect_Ratio" HPP file in the directory.

4 minutes ago, Marc13Bautista said:

See my above comment on that XD. 

"On a quick side note for those getting  "Preprocessor failed on file resource.cpp -error 1." upon startup, you need to have Faguss' Aspect Ratio installed. (download) http://ofp-faguss.com/?item=ofp+aspect+ratio & (resolution guide) http://ofp-faguss.com/files/ofp_aspect_ratio.pdf "

Ah i didn't see your first comment , i only saw the second one you made xD
But hey thanks for telling me that , now i got it working thanks

4 minutes ago, Heks said:

Ah i didn't see your first comment , i only saw the second one you made xD
But hey thanks for telling me that , now i got it working thanks

Haha no problem! The mods is pretty neat.

• Like 1

The mod seems really good and fun, and AI reacts really quick just like playing PVP with players, some missions could get really hard with them even some simple ones, and the DSAI is just perfect.

The gameplay was really smooth and the effects really respects the old engine but i want to point out some things that are some bugs and some that could enhance the mod a bit more.

-I did like the white screen you get when you get hit but it could be better with some sound where you can't hear anything for some seconds ? like when a grenade hits you and you can't hear anymore and then later the sound gets back ,and only thing you could hear is the heartbeating ?

-And how about adding reload animation while running + walking animations ? like Binmod's ?
Or disabling the tank radio voice for faster response ?

Here are the bugs or not really bugs that i'd like to point out:

When my character is injured he keeps screaming injured voices without bleeding , not sure if it's intentional or not

the "ENGAGING" radio voice is disabled, also not sure if it's intentional or not but all you can hear when someone pulls off the "ENGAGING" voice is the radio buffering , like the voice is not found at all.

That's all i could get for now, i'll report something else if i find and i really loved the feature where when a tree falls it blocks the AIs view, really great mod!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heks said:

the "ENGAGING" radio voice is disabled, also not sure if it's intentional or not but all you can hear when someone pulls off the "ENGAGING" voice is the radio buffering , like the voice is not found at all.

That's all i could get for now, i'll report something else if i find and i really loved the feature where when a tree falls it blocks the AIs view, really great mod!

In the "words" HPP file of @extfx -> bin, some of the radio voice commands are disabled. You can change this by going to the "words" folder located in the same place and copy and paste everything located in one of the three HPP files (all, none, and some (some is default)) in place of the default.

You could also use this mod

11 minutes ago, Marc13Bautista said:

In the "words" HPP file of @extfx -> bin, some of the radio voice commands are disabled. You can change this by going to the "words" folder located in the same place and copy and paste everything located in one of the three HPP files (all, none, and some (some is default)) in place of the default.

Yes but the "some" file can have it too, like SLX Mod , it has radio voices for infantries , but in vehicules there's none for faster response and for the "engaging" you can hear the buffering like it's not disabled completely

6 minutes ago, Heks said:

Yes but the "some" file can have it too, like SLX Mod , it has radio voices for infantries , but in vehicules there's none for faster response and for the "engaging" you can hear the buffering like it's not disabled completely

I'm not so sure about that. I'm using the above mod I suggested so maybe that will fix it. I'll see if it works for vehicles. It requires to have all radio voices enabled but the addon listed disables it some of it either way

5 minutes ago, Marc13Bautista said:

I'm not so sure about that. I'm using the above mod I suggested so maybe that will fix it. I'll see if it works for vehicles.

No the radio works for vehicles , just it needs to be disabled for faster AI response xD

1 minute ago, Heks said:

No the radio works for vehicules , just it needs to be disabled for faster AI response xD

I think it's best to disable all voices then. :P

1 minute ago, Marc13Bautista said:

I think it's best to disable all voices then. :P

Yeah but that option exist , and removing the voices for tanks can be a great addition for the "some" option

1 hour ago, Heks said:

Yeah but that option exist , and removing the voices for tanks can be a great addition for the "some" option

I'd suggest using this addon then. It doesn't rid of all voices and fixes the vehicle problem.

• Like 1

Here are some more bugs i found :
There's no walking / running grenade throw animation
When jets passes by my character i get this error: ww4ext_cw_tx\ea\emer1.paa not found

• Like 1

Is there a way to reduce cloudlets (disable dust and other performance heavy stuff)? I'd like to disable huge dust and explosion effects like in ECP since my laptop isn't the greatest.

Edit: Could you also add in more night vision goggle screens like in ECP? The stock one is terribly small. Edited in my own from WGL, :P

On 12/2/2017 at 11:27 PM, Heks said:

1-I did like the white screen you get when you get hit but it could be better with some sound where you can't hear anything for some seconds ? like when a grenade hits you and you can't hear anymore and then later the sound gets back ,and only thing you could hear is the heartbeating ?

2-And how about adding reload animation while running + walking animations ? like Binmod's ?

3-Or disabling the tank radio voice for faster response ?

4-When my character is injured he keeps screaming injured voices without bleeding , not sure if it's intentional or not

5-the "ENGAGING" radio voice is disabled, also not sure if it's intentional or not but all you can hear when someone pulls off the "ENGAGING" voice is the radio buffering , like the voice is not found at all.

Hi Heks. Glad you like it.

1. I thought about it, but decided not to just to keep the hit effect at minimum. I just wanted some extra visual cue to know when you're hit (and to disorient you, to some extent). I might work on it at a later time, though.

2. That's not planned

3. You can either use the words_none.hpp preset or create a new custom one where you mute any phrases or words you don't like by deleting them from the file

4. Units start yelling for medic whenever they are below a certain threshold of their global health. The thing is, by working on another project I later discovered that units are only considered wounded whenever a given body part is below a health threshold. Actually, a unit could have just 0.1 points of global health left and it would still feel like he's totally ok. But this current project (ExtFX) is actually quite old and didn't revise the system to take into account this new knowledge. I might change it later, but this means adding yet another eventhandler (hit) to all infantry units which, among other things, is local.

5. As mentioned in #3, you can add or remove any voices you want by editing the words.hpp file or creating a new custom one. The sound you hear is idd the radio noise played after a phrase. I decided to keep it there, as it is used by the words that aren't disabled and it also alerts you in a subtle way that someone said something.

On 13/2/2017 at 1:14 AM, Heks said:

1-There's no walking / running grenade throw animation
2-When jets passes by my character i get this error: ww4ext_cw_tx\ea\emer1.paa not found

1- I didn't change the grenade throwing animations. They are still there. It's just that in OFP is quite hard to trigger them.

2- That was from a line that added or removed the oxygen masks from pilots when piloting helicopters or where outside a jet plane. It was mainly focused on WW4 Extended, so it gave you an error whenever you didn't use that mod extension. I've commented out those lines for now. It was a harmless (if annoying) error, anyway.

On 13/2/2017 at 1:55 AM, Marc13Bautista said:

Another bug, team ui thingamajig is out of place.

That should be fixed in the latest release. There was some kind of syntax error or other conflict in the config.cpp file. I wasn't able to track it down, so I've had to rebuild it from scratch.

On 14/2/2017 at 7:19 AM, Marc13Bautista said:

Is there a way to reduce cloudlets (disable dust and other performance heavy stuff)? I'd like to disable huge dust and explosion effects like in ECP since my laptop isn't the greatest.

Yes, you can enable or disable almost any feature in this mod. I've included a pdf manual in the latest release. You can also check it out online here.

The setting you want to set to false is this one in settings.sqf (in the @extfx folder):

["wpndustfx", true],

You might also want to disable this one:

["unitdustfx", true],

As mentioned in the manual, you can disable them by just changing the true boolean to false (so it would look like: ["wpndustfx", false],).

Extended effects (beta) has been updated.

More info and download links in the first post.

---

Fixes:

• Squad bar should now be correctly positioned
  • Fixed crew members being assigned EH twice when entering and exiting vehicles (I think there's still some instances where it still might happen - I'll keep looking into it later)

Changes:

• Added a readme and manual in pdf form. They can be found in the main @extfx and in @extfx/_docs folder.
  • Disabled all the "optional features" that were enabled in the first releases. They should have been disabled from the start, but I forgot to do so (they were enabled for the development version). To enable them again you now need to edit the settings.sqf file. Check the manual for more instructions about how to go about this.
  • I've added an Aspect_Ratio.hpp file to the root of the zip file. Place it in your main CWA folder if you don't have one already. I've edited it so it defaults to 16:9 aspect ratio and to not be dependant on Fwatch.
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 0:08 AM, kenoxite said:

Yes, you can enable or disable almost any feature in this mod. I've included a pdf manual in the latest release. You can also check it out online here.

The setting you want to set to false is this one in settings.sqf (in the @extfx folder):

["wpndustfx", true],

You might also want to disable this one:

["unitdustfx", true],

As mentioned in the manual, you can disable them by just changing the true boolean to false (so it would look like: ["wpndustfx", false],).

I actually meant by removing all dust cloudlets (but not the initial explosion and bullet impact ones) I was able to do it in ECP. 

Again, thank you very much for the update! I'll get back to you If I find anything. Also a heads up, the mediafire download link is from an older version. Only Drive seems to have the newest.

It's kind of a shame that I can't use the tree concealment feature without enabling unitvars (which causes heavy performance loss). (Edit) I managed to make my own version to work with Abandoned Armies, I now have FFUR buildings and vegetation replacements

Another thing kenoxite, I don't think ECP's dsai is enabled at all, even if I do uncomment it  in the sqf files and have ECP_DSAI downloaded in my addons folder, I am only getting the default EXT_DSAI ones.  Am I doing something wrong? (the _DEV isn't uncommented by default for ECP, maybe that's the problem?)

On 19/2/2017 at 9:36 PM, Marc13Bautista said:

1- I actually meant by removing all dust cloudlets (but not the initial explosion and bullet impact ones) I was able to do it in ECP. 

2- Another thing kenoxite, I don't think ECP's dsai is enabled at all, even if I do uncomment it  in the sqf files and have ECP_DSAI downloaded in my addons folder, I am only getting the default EXT_DSAI ones.  Am I doing something wrong? (the _DEV isn't uncommented by default for ECP, maybe that's the problem?)

1- That's not possible

2- Make sure you comment the normal english and russian language definitions and comment out the ECP ones. It should look more or less like this:

// 		Release version
//+ (call preprocessfile "..\@extfx\EXT_DSAI_lang\english.sqf")
//+ (call preprocessfile "..\@extfx\EXT_DSAI_lang\russian.sqf")
+ (call preprocessfile "..\@extfx\EXT_DSAI_lang\arabic.sqf")

// 		Release version (ECP) ** Requires ECP_DSAI.pbo **
+ (call preprocessfile "..\@extfx\EXT_DSAI_lang\english_ECP.sqf")
+ (call preprocessfile "..\@extfx\EXT_DSAI_lang\russian_ECP.sqf")

Anyway, if you say you have trouble keeping up with performance the last thing you want to do is to throw yet even more stuff in your missions or tests. ECP DSAI support was provided just because I knew someone would ask for it, but it's not really needed. ExtFX DSAI has hundreds of voices already, all from the Arma series, unlike the rest that are ripped from Call of Duty or Battlefield or whatever (the exception is the included arabic voices, which are from those other games too, it seems, but I'm thinking on providing it separately in a next release instead of built-in in the ExtFX package).

• Like 1