pettka

"3FPS Issue" - Call for Help

Anybody else tried my mission and had 3FPS Bug?

No idea if Devs saw my mission and if they checked already....

Unsure if anyone has posted this in the tons of threads about this issue. I am not sure if the devs have ever gotten to reproduce this bug.

I have noticed with several longer campaigns such as Warlords, DUWS, etc... that the many AI attacks and such overload the memory. Mods such as Antistasis Altis, which have an adjustable spawn zones seem to help the problem unless you linger for a long time in the spawn areas.

Using Resource Monitor and System Process, you can see the memory climb higher and higher. When it approaches your threshold where it needs to start writing to the disk, this is where the fps drops. Pausing the game is no help as the read\write to the disk won't slow down and the memory usage keeps going. At this point, trying to save or do anything else in the game will cause a crash with out of memory errors.

Watching the single player campaign with the above tools, the memory is released at each load and save. With 4 gpu memory and 16gb system, anything close to 3.5 of memory usage will start the writing to disk and the immediate fps bug with me. Leaving it run for several hours paused in the menu is no help. Still shows 100% physical memory usage and alarming hard disk access. I have seen 15gb of total usage from all memory before. (A lot of IO activity, worry about the SSD physical health with this if it keeps going)

I realize that lots of mods, AI, etc... is being ran at the same time along with weather, time of day, ballistics, etc... but the read\write usage from the start is very high with mods that add a lot of AI spawns.

Simple test would be to run all the RHS equipment mods, Antistasis Warlords of the Pacific and then open Process Monitor and Resource Monitor, start the scenario and run within 1km of a zone, wait for the factions to base attack. As earlier, if you even pause the game, the memory climbs higher and higher and will eventually trigger the read\write to disk and the fps bug.

The bug is not mod dependent but mods make the problem quicker. Still the same thing with more than a few mutiplayers and long sessions. As most scenarios end or time out before the memory runs, starting a new session will fix it. Only extended long sessions with AI or multiplayers in which the game is not restarted or saved worsen the problem.

No malloc, page files (which you shouldn't really have to touch), system graphics settings, etc.. will cure it. Only makes the time until the fps bug lessen or quicken.

Question being, is there a reason why the AI and all the graphics associated with AI attacks still stay in memory? Even cleaning up bodies, equipment and damaged buildings and vehicles in a scenario doesn't help. Everything is held in memory and not saved to the hdd?

Going 64 bit will help this problem, but I'm afraid the underlying issue of storing things in the memory will still be a problem after a certain limit. :(

Link to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx what I have used in the past to debug leaks in dll mods for other games.

• Like 4

On 12.2.2017 at 3:24 PM, Balingr said:

Got it working and FPS bug is there!

(My PC was resistant and rather crashed right away than dropping frames, so it's quite a surprise)

I wonder if we can recreate this in vanilla.

In 70+ player games in KOTH it happens too. Especially when u have a high object view distance.

I've found this issue is somewhat reliably recurring when hosting my own server and playing on it with friends. I've always had the theory that it's something to do with leftover AI spawns as I progress through. The issue hasn't really shown up when playing on a server not hosted locally. 

It's know that this bug affects Vanilla Server but we need a mission that reproduces the error within a reasonable time frame.

Devastator_cm s Mission is the first that I know that archives a ~80% (for me right now) chance within ~10 min of testing.

*Got the 3FPS bug in Mission Editor, is that a first time or did anybody else had this?

3 hours ago, Balingr said:

It's know that this bug affects Vanilla Server but we need a mission that reproduces the error within a reasonable time frame.

Devastator_cm s Mission is the first that I know that archives a ~80% (for me right now) chance within ~10 min of testing.

*Got the 3FPS bug in Mission Editor, is that a first time or did anybody else had this?

I have frequent crashes when running a mission from the editor 

then run my mission as mission and not from editor.
It will crash again no worries.
Problem is although I gave one example which crashes easily I see no response from devs till yet..

@tobur

It was not "a crash" but "THE (3FPS) Bug" and because it was the editor and not any running mission it seems like a new behaviour.

A crash is not the 3FPS bug per se, my game rarely crashes when encountering the bug.

The (my) editor only crashes when messing up the #include in script / config, so it might be another problem you're having.

@Devastator_cm

The bug is happening whether I launch (mp) from editor or browser, no need to change that imo.

To get dev's attention maybe post your logs in the feedback tracker.

(I've done so myself linking your mission, so maybe they'll notice / react soon)

Hello. The same thing we have seen with arma3server.exe, from 45-50 FPS drop to 4-7 FPS. RAM occupied more then 3 GB by this process, but NO CRASH! (No video acceleration used on server with dedicated mode?).
So, I have noticed, that our players with 4 GB of RAM NEVER felt this error. 
Players with 4+ GB RAM, but with old CPUs Intel like Quad Core or iCore 1st GEN felt this drop rarely.
The most affected are CPUs from 4th and next generations of iCore. If 2nd Gen. working like 3-4 hours without drops, 5-6t start to drop about 1.5-2 hours ingame time.

So, I think the problem is on the memory and velocity of RAM bus. Possibly, PAE does not supports by Arma3 and then it eats more than 3 Gbs of RAM its starting to violate 3.5-4.0 GBs sector of RAM with device interruptions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Edited by Max Shturmer
Wiki link

Guys im not sure, but then i turned off ATOC setting 3 fps bug is gone

Check on your rig

1 minute ago, Devastator_cm said:

tried but got again 3 fps bug in my mission...

C:\Users\asd\Documents\Arma 3\arma3.cfg

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

check this

11 minutes ago, abudabi said:

C:\Users\asd\Documents\Arma 3\arma3.cfg

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

check this

Already tried long time ago, didn't work.

This one

Download (based on "tbb2017_20161128oss", NOT battleye compatible yet...)

16 hours ago, Max Shturmer said:

Hello. The same thing we have seen with arma3server.exe, from 45-50 FPS drop to 4-7 FPS. RAM occupied more then 3 GB by this process, but NO CRASH! (No video acceleration used on server with dedicated mode?).
So, I have noticed, that our players with 4 GB of RAM NEVER felt this error. 
Players with 4+ GB RAM, but with old CPUs Intel like Quad Core or iCore 1st GEN felt this drop rarely.
The most affected are CPUs from 4th and next generations of iCore. If 2nd Gen. working like 3-4 hours without drops, 5-6t start to drop about 1.5-2 hours ingame time.

So, I think the problem is on the memory and velocity of RAM bus. Possibly, PAE does not supports by Arma3 and then it eats more than 3 Gbs of RAM its starting to violate 3.5-4.0 GBs sector of RAM with device interruptions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

I have 8 GB of ram but i have this bug and fps drops.

4 hours ago, STRIDER890 said:

I have 8 GB of ram but i have this bug and fps drops.

As I sad before, 4 Gb computers doesnt not affected. But 4+ Gbs yes, depends of CPU. Newest CPUs are more affected than older. Drop like memory leaks effect is cumulative - if your memory is overflow by 3 hours of game, you could not notice that ' because you played less than 3 hours without restart Arma3. But, if you have new CPU you will have DROP every 2 hours, for example - and you will see it on your screen.

25 minutes ago, Eccentric22 said:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/340/432/919/

Please take part for an urgent cause.

I hope this is sarcasm due to the petition being addressed to "the president of the united states".

You do realize that this is exactly what this thread is for?  This thread was a step in the right direction, asking for community help because they want to fix it, but need to find the root of the problem first.  What better troubleshooting method than to ask hundreds of people to help search for the problem?  

39 minutes ago, Eccentric22 said:

Well somebody has just had his account suspended. Nice knowing you while it lasted...

And just to address your "bohemia are not doing anything to fix this and are lazy" BI have been trying to fix this issue for several weeks now-and have requested in the official game announcements that people send them certain crash info etc, to try to resolve this problem.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eccentric22 said:

come on man, give them a break!! they really showed their willingness to get ahead of that stupid bug in the last weeks. i cant imagine, how difficult that is. if it would be that easy, the bug had been long vanished...

thx to BI for trying to fix that!

• Like 1

It would be nice to get some status updates (maybe weekly?) from devs... We have no idea if any clue already found or not. Most people face the issue regularly and it is really pain in the a** especially if you are in the midle of a coop mission :(
Myself I am more interested on fix of this bug than any dlc progress

• Like 1

this bug happens to me when a lot of smoke appears. Just saying. If i were bohemia i would roleback to the 1.65 version of the game. Its not only this annoying 3-6 FPs bug. its also that rocketlaunchers and locking on to enemy tanks or choppers or jets is not working anymore like it worked before. 

In Koth my launchers are losing their target even if the pawnee or jet is clearly visible. I have to reload my launcher or sometimes i need to take my Maingun and than switch back to the launcher to get the target locked. I got the feeling that every "update" is more like causing problems than solving them.