eggbeast

handanim doesnt change after editing - any ideas?

I am working in O2, only day 1 of me having learned to edit rtms - need a pointer please!

would you have any idea why when i save an export of the matrix seen on the right it doesnt change in game - seen on the left?

RA39gYv.jpg

on the right you see im moving the right elbow out, and back to make a more natural pose, so the wrist doesn't look broken
but in game it shows up as elbow tucked in and pushed forward
it seems that something overrides my edits - i am just moving and rotating the parts and then exporting to rtm.

I have no idea how to even start to use blender, but i'm trying to understand the limits of what i can meaningfully do in o2.

Just want to check, is this an update to a current hand anim and you are overwriting the file so in the config.cpp the name of the file is the same?  Have you tried deleting you're temp folder and the .pbo of the mod and rebuilding to make sure it's not a legacy issue?

handanims will change NOTHING BUT the hands, not the arms, not the elbows etc.

@andy

im using an existing hand anim rtm, then editing and saving as a different name, which i then build using standard a3 skeleton, and then changing it in the weapon config to match my new handanim.  the left hand worked fine. so i know it is loading the right anim.

@pufu

damn, so how do you change the arms? only in the main hardcoded part of armas animations?

ok well i can see here from work von knudenberg did for us last year that the forearms move at least

lfmurEK.jpg

so we cant move the upper arm is that it?

2 hours ago, eggbeast said:

so we cant move the upper arm is that it?

Handanim doesn't work like that. It's based on Inverse Kinematics.

This means the game looks at the position of the hand and its orientation, then tries to automatically solve the posing of the arms from the base rifle raised/lowered etc. animations within certain constraints for how far e.g. the elbow can rotate, until the forearm joins up with the hand at the wrist.

If it can solve the IK just by rotating at the elbow it will. if it cannot, and needs to rotate the arm at the shoulder in order to move the elbow position, then it will do that. Though it seems to be to a lesser degree.

Your best bet would be to rotate the entire hand back around so that the wrist uses a different orientation, facing down  towards the elbow as much as possible. And reposition the grip angle with the the -rightHandRing bone (I think that's what it is called - whichever one contains the lower half of the palm, and the Ring and Pinky fingers). Rather than having the whole hand rotated around to that  high angle.

• Like 3

thanks mate - that's very clear.

@da12thMonkey explained it perfectly. when creating a handanim, you can simply ignore anything else but palms/hands and fingers, the rest are auto-positioned.

ok even more clearthanks. so the arm autopositions, set the hand where you want it, set the fingers right, and the rest is auto.