Sign in to follow this  
tpw

Reflection gradient help

Hi all.

A while ago I had a go at making ambient puddles, by generating small reflective pond objects:

puddles2.jpg

They look alright, but recently whilst looking around the Blue Pearl Industrial Port on Tanoa I stumbled upon these:

puddles.jpg

Obviously someone at BI knows how to do some sort of reflection gradient, presumably by clever rvmat wrangling, and it looks absolutely brilliant.I've never seen the effect before in Arma and I'm keen to replicate it!

So I'm asking, no, begging for any help to achieve the same kind of effect in a stand alone 2D object that can be spawned to give these more realistic looking puddles on any ground surface. I have no problems setting up simple 2D objects, and adding textures and rvmats via config, I just have no idea how to set up an rvmat to achieve that feathered edge effect.

Thanks in advance.

revarding the way to do it. that is not hard to do (the puddles) on an existing texture. the real problem is having them as separate objects, mainly because the thing needs to be both transparent to get the color from underneath texture and also still reflect things. the feathed edges is achieved via the alpha channel of that ca texture, nothing complicated there either

Thanks PuFu, greatly appreciated.

I've had no luck with the alpha channel though. If I make a simple polygon in Object Builder and assign it a ca texture and a glass rvmat (with fresnel and environmental reflection), the resulting object will be transparent to the surface below, and will have a shiny environment reflecting surface everywhere that the ca alpha channel is > 0. But it's all or nothing, everywhere the alpha is >0  the surface is uniformly reflective.

For instance if I make a simple circle texture and do a radial gradient fill so that it's 100% opaque in the centre and 0% opaque at the edges, the resulting object using this texture will be a uniformly reflective circle, the reflection not fading out towards the edges.

I'm probably missing something basic, it happens to me all the time!